StressEater

Rate the Last Film you Watched

17 minutes ago, Con said:

Halloween (2018)

EhwBapL.png

The Awesome: Best of the sequels. Michael Myers looks good in every scene. The kills get more brutal as we move forward. The music is perfect because thankfully we have John Carpenter handling the music which is better than some new guy creating some other imitation. Great atmosphere in some scenes. All the easter eggs nods to the previous sequels, I mean, we even get to see a van with the name "Resurrection Church" on it. I loved Michael's first on-screen kill as I didn't expect it. Jamie Lee Curtis does a great job returning as a granny-Laurie Strode and I appreciated exploring her PTSD from what she experienced back in 1978, the dynamics of the resulting mental anguish and how it affected Laurie as a mother raising a daughter after her near death experience. The scenes where we follow Michael around the neighborhood were superb and highlight of the direction. Some of the cinematography was slick and very effective, like the gas station scene from the trailers, that lighting and gritty color palette really adds to the grimness of the scene. There was one kill inside a home that was pretty damn traumatic and most of the kills we get to see are pretty intense.

fXaR1Ie.jpg

The Good: Kept that Halloween movie feeling thanks to the soundtrack and some of the great nods to the other films although it ignores those in this new universe. Sound design was a highlight. The practical effects were pretty good. The Michael Myers mask looks cool after 40 years. Some of the scenes recreate the original almost frame by frame and I liked the nostalgia. Jibrail Nantambu as Julian almost steals the entire fucking movie because his acting is so good in the short time he is on screen and it was a moment in the film where I felt some actual script magic between him and the babysitter and felt that the film should have centered around them instead as I would have really cared for the both of them, they were that good! The subtle shots of the graphic violence at the start are cool as we get just glimpses of the bloody faces, etc. It's not full of needless comedy like we get in The Predator....thank the movie Gods for that. Michael Myers was menacing for most of the movie.

TLt6hka.jpg

The Bad: The opening sequence seemed so promising in the trailer and it is a tense scene, especially when they tell the podcaster he must never pass the yellow line, so we see his foot at the very edge and we get the sense that if you cross that line, you fucking dead. So tell me why as that scene goes on and the podcaster pulls out the mask and begins screaming at Michael and his arm holding the mask is WAY OVER THE YELLOW LINE and the guards just stand there?...I felt like the only person that noticed he was over the line and you wait for an awesome payoff to the scene and instead we abruptly cut to the opening titles, the sequence didn't work for me at all. Now the titles were cool because they tried to mimic the original credits with the black background and the orange letters but this time there is a deflated pumpkin that is inflated as the opening credits are rolling and my wife told me it was a decomposed jack o' lantern in reverse time lapse but I thought it was a beach-ball like pumpkin being inflated instead and I thought it looked stupid. The movie is filled with small scenes that are so unnecessary, like the scene with the doctor and sheriff driving around looking for Michael and the scene is written just so the doctor can tell the cop, Michael is property of the State and must not be killed or harmed. That line of dialogue could have been said in the previous scene that had Laurie being introduced to the new doctor by the Sheriff and what frustrated me was that moments before the doctor meets Laurie, Laurie is telling the cop why she wanted Michael to escape and it is in direct contrast to what the doctor wants and it was a perfect moment for the doctor and Laurie to have some tension between them and it's these missed opportunities that could have eliminated those short throwaway exposition scenes and in that case could have really added some flesh to the twist we are given that actually goes nowhere and came across as fucking stupid instead. Again there are so many tiny plot lines, like every character gets one and then most of them don't help in moving the story forward. The teen party break up scene was so clunky and only served to eliminate the cell phone element which could have been simpler and again, freed more time to dedicate to a Michael Myers kill scene instead. I wanted a minor character that was part of the city government to die because I just found him obnoxious every time he was on screen but I didn't get that satisfaction. 

13Nctku.jpg

The Ugly: What appear to be some of the best kills are all done off-screen. The writers wanted me to dismiss the other films and interpret this as the direct sequel to the original, okay I'll bite, but then they carelessly give us exposition and narrative throughout but the biggest sins come against Michael Myers as they write his behavior so inconsistently and then flip-flop that inconsistency, making it even worse. Too many micro scenes with exposition that could have easily been delivered in a previous scene(s), which would free up time for more Michael Myers moments who I feel should be the main attraction of the series. I get what they wanted to do with Laurie Strode's character but they really turned her into Sarah Connor a bit too much. Because of the not fully developed new ideas and concepts, the third act seems to have been written in reverse to fit the narrative because I found it a bit absurd how the final confrontation is set up, since honestly, there was never an indication that Michael Myers was looking for Laurie specifically at all and Laurie seems to be the one with the obsession for the boogeyman instead. Why poke the bear? It made no sense and while some might enjoy the little role reversal moments, I wasn't a fan. I only want to see Michael doing Michael things in my Halloween movies. There is a major twist I was not expecting and I really hoped it was going to make it into my "Awesome" list but ultimately it's so bumbled and disjointed that had it been done right, it would have added some much needed explanations shedding light on not just the new Michael Myers personification. I hated that we have come to know Michael Myers not as a man but a force of nature, well According to this movie, Michael Myers is now 65 years old human being with no superhuman abilities, who has been sitting in a mental facility for 40 years---- I guess someone forgot to let the cells in his body know he had aged and that's thanks to the brutal inconsistent writing. I know you have to unplug your brain while watching slasher movies but when the writers bring something up making you pay attention to it and then expect you to just throw it all away, that shit is not good. The doctor's character was such a wasted opportunity in so many ways. The final act is so contrived and due to the mandatory sequel this film is designed to generate, it contradicts the heart of the movie itself. There was one moment during the film that I honestly felt like i was watching a crime show on the A&E Network, that is not a good thing AT ALL!! I felt that way because the way it's structured and shot just gave me that familiar vibe from those crime shows. I think making the entire community aware that a killer is loose takes away from why I loved the original...no one was aware a killer was loose and that added so much tension to everything we saw on-screen in the original. 

7egpkY5.jpg

Final Verdict...2/5... First let me say this...ask anyone that knows me IRL and they will tell you, no one gets more excited than me when the conversations are about the Predator, Friday the 13th, and Halloween films, so when I hear about these remakes I expect the worst but hope for the very best and I temper my expectations but what I don't do is force myself to like new things because I loved the old things. I didn't find the action in sync with some of the story elements and that really hurt my experience. I tried to just enjoy what was on screen as a fan of the slasher genre but as the audience don't ask me to think cleverly and then make things convenient for yourself. I went to Halloween for the mindless kills and thrills and while I did enjoy the effective suspenseful moments and violent kills and do appreciate the efforts on behalf of the filmmakers and writers to try and give this a fresh feel, I just couldn't get past the inconsistencies in their storytelling. Maybe on the rewatch the score might go up as I learn to appreciate what I did like and what entertained me. But going with no expectations and still being let down by the logic and while not as bad as in The Predator, I thought they made a mockery out of one of my favorite killers of all time and while I could look the other way while you tweak things I've come to know, the new Myers tweaks don't clarify anything and instead had me working to make sense of stuff when I should have just been enjoying Halloween/Michael Myers kills.  Danny McBride Says Michael Myers No Longer Immortal in “Halloween” 2018........well then write the consequences appropriately, Danny!!!

Sqz2ZUE.jpg

Spoilers will be added later for those of you that already watched it and either Loved it or Hated it. Because I do want to elaborate on my low score.

I want to see this, Mike is my favorite killer and Jamie Lee is always top notch even in bad films

• Like 1

Just now, JustHatched said:

I want to see this, Mike is my favorite killer and Jamie Lee is always top notch even in bad films

Please go see it. Some people are really liking it. Jamie Lee’s performance is a highlight in this for sure. I just post how I felt about it and it’s not the definite opinion and actually would love to discuss it with people that are loving it. 

Yeah, that opening scene was TERRIBLE. No reason for it to exist at all.

That "twist" was a wasted opportunity and frankly shouldn't exist either.

I enjoyed the kills and not much else to be honest.  It was just another in a long list of "meh" horror movies.

Watching it I had a feeling that you would be let down but I didn't want to rain on your parade :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

Yeah, that opening scene was TERRIBLE. No reason for it to exist at all.

That "twist" was a wasted opportunity and frankly shouldn't exist either.

I enjoyed the kills and not much else to be honest.  It was just another in a long list of "meh" horror movies.

Watching it I had a feeling that you would be let down but I didn't want to rain on your parade :)

You are absolutely right.

There was no need for that opening scene because as a fan of the series, I have never wanted to hear Michael Myers speak and after that opening, I spent the entire movie worried that one of my fave movie killers would have dialogue. I have been listening to positive reviews and I just wish I went to the movie they saw.

:D now I saw a deleted shower scene that would have rocked and fit better than that opening scene, why? Because the deleted scene was subtle and more terrifying than some dude taunting MM to speak. You can see it in the video below. Even the reveal of that shower scene is smarter than some of the stuff that actually made it in the theatrical cut. The scene is at the 5:00 mark.

[\spoiler]

Edited by Con

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

The Good:  Rami Malek.  Wow.  He really becomes Freddie Mercury.  The way he moves, his facial expressions, his mannerisms, how he speaks.  It's creepy how much he's channeling him, it's like he's possessed.  He also lip-syncs well.  It's obviously Freddie's actual singing voice, you can't copy that, but Malek is so good at performing like Freddie that you believe that noise is coming out of his mouth.  The same goes for the guy playing Bryan May, he's not actually playing the guitar, but the notes he's playing and the way he plays it is how you actually play the songs, which was cool because that would have annoyed me, especially as there's so much concert footage.  That's something else I really enjoyed, you see a lot of the band on stage and in the studio.  This is totally a film about the band and not just about Freddie, even though he is the main focus, and that seems to have upset some critics who wanted a grittier film getting into the dark things in Freddie's life.  When Sasha Baron Cohen was attached to play him that was the way he wanted to go, but honestly, I don't want to see a film about Freddie getting deep into drugs, unprotected gay sex at the height of the AIDS epidemic and eventually dying to that awful disease.  That would be depressing as fuck and not what Queen was about at all.  Queen was about fun and giving the people what they want, which is what this film does.  It touches on the darker things but the focus is on Freddie as a performer, which is what he did best.  It's also a funny film, funnier than I was expecting, especially the scenes with Mike Myers, and the constant piss-taking of the song "I'm In Love With My Car" had me laughing every time it came up.

I don't think I really need to say it, but the soundtrack is fucking great :D 

The Bad:  It really doesn't need to be over two hours long, it could easily lose a good twenty minutes.  It's also a very basic, by the numbers biopic.  You can probably guess the plot of the film already if you've seen films like Ray, Walk The Line etc.  The direction isn't great, it seems like a made for tv film sometimes, but the film did lose it's original director halfway through production before being replaced by Dexter Fletcher (who isn't credited) so that may explain that.  There are also a few dodgy effects shots during the Live Aid concert, which is mostly brilliant, and so close to the real thing it's scary.

The Ugly: Not really anything really bad to say about this film, apart from the fact that original director, and disgusting human trash paedophile scum Bryan Singer is still credited as director, even though he was fired/quit halfway through and seeing his name at the start of the film made me a little bit angry that he can still get work.  But none of that has anything to do with the film :D

Final Verdict: A basic film with a fantastic lead performance and the best soundtrack you could ask for. 7/10 (9/10 for Queen fans).

Hope you don't mind me stealing your review format, @Con ;)

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Not much to add to @LimeGreenLegend's review. I'd probably go to 10/10 if you're a Queen fan, especially one like me who never got to see them live. The various concert scenes, and especially the Live Aid scene at the end, on a big screen are fantastic. I have to repeat how good the casting is as well. All the actors playing the band members do a great job but Joseph Mazello is especially good as John Deacon (the bassist), at some points I could easily have believed it was actual footage of John Deacon and not an actor. Of course it's not a documentary, so there are some things that are not "historically accurate", but that doesn't matter. However the pedant in me has to point out that Freddy and John did not join the band at the same time; Freddy first then they went through a few different bassist till they found one that fit,  they did not tour America playing Fat Bottomed girls in 1975 as it wasn't released till the Jazz album in 1978 and I think that tour they were supporting Mot the Hoople not headlining as the film implies, and likewise Brian May didn't write We Will Rock You in 1980 but a couple of years earlier in 1977 on News of the World. 

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

Kung Fu Hustle

Not your typical Kung Fu movie!  It's NOT a serious Kung Fu movie!

Do NOT see under "herbal influence", unless you want a serious diaphragm workout. LOL!

Absolutely insanely hilarious! 

Extremely imaginative use of special effects.

Totally unpredictable!

And it's a love story!

Spoiler

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@zztop911 I Love Kung Fu Hustle! There’s also shaolin soccer

Edited by Pb76