StressEater

Rate the Last Film you Watched

It's summer and I have a lot of preparations to do for the baby but I'll still have time to watch some movies so here it goes

Tomb Raider

An OK movie but nowhere close to the 2013 game. It basically follows the same plot but falls short of the game in every aspect. 

Alicia Vikander is a good Lara Croft but the supporting cast is meh and I could predict everything that happens in the movie. 

The bad guy is just that : bad Not fleshed out at all. He's evil cause he wants to get off the island. Period. OK.

The mercenaries with him are just canon fodder. 

Plot is simplified compared to the game and much weaker. Also there is too much Rochard Croft (Lara's father) in it. The game is better with him already dead. 

The end leaves things open for an inevitable sequel. 

All in all, a decent movie, I don't regret watching it but I'm glad I watched it at home and haven't paid 8€ to see it in the theater. Will do the same for the sequel. 

6.5/10

• Like 1

Demon House (2018)

g7V03Zt.jpg

The Awesome: The entire thing is actually based on true events. A popular ghost hunter heard of a very demonically haunted house and purchased it to freely investigate it. Actual incidents that occurred to families living here before the ghost hunter bought the house all have been chronicled through real news reports from small and major networks, you can you tube Fox News coverage of the demon house as the haunting really had people conflicted about the truth. I thought this was going to be just an extended version of one of the Ghost Adventures episodes but it was more than just that at it's core. You can knock Zak all you want but his enthusiasm is infectious and has always drawn me in as he really gets into the investigations and also tries to debunk things using logic and doesn't just want to sell you a haunting. Call me crazy but I always thought that crime rates were probably higher in places were past and current dark practices have been common. I will always believe negative energy will manifest dark activity in humans and animals. The interviews with the people that have lived or experienced the house were very compelling as families, upper law-enforcement, multiple child-services personnel, and many others, really help in assisting the build up to the physical investigating. The interviews are creepy as they give you an idea to what could possibly be in that house. If you allow yourself to be fully immersed and keep your skeptical side in check, you will enjoy this a lot. I really enjoyed the implication that dark spirits gravitate to areas of poverty and human suffering even if some of the most historic violent places never report paranormal activity. Diving into the paranormal and demonic unknown is just thrilling shit. Sadly, an associate and regular special investigator guest of the original TV show is murdered while the Demon House documentary is being made and that adds fuel to the story and really makes you think about just how stable these investigators are mentally. 

kaMbCxB.jpg

The Good: Learning about the demon house for the first time was cool as I stopped watching the Ghost Adventures show and don't follow the show or Zak on Twitter so this entire story was new to me which added to the intrigue. The in-depth interviews really work well and serve to convince me that some of these people on camera have nothing to gain in sharing their accounts and in fact fall in danger of being mocked IRL by their peers. I mean if your co-worker walked in on a Monday and began telling you how his little cousin climbed a wall backwards while speaking in a different language, you would probably question their sanity. The documentary doesn't come across as manipulative or tries to force you into believing. I liked that in the end Zak locked himself up in the house and is where you finally feel a real sense of dread and fear. Credibility to the Ammon's Family story and demon possessed house tale is aided by the many witnesses involved, from police chief to the priest that performed three exorcisms on the family, it was very compelling.The Child Services Workers accounts really adds credibility to the general haunting since they were called in once the mother was being suspected of child abuse after the kids began going to school with bruises. I did appreciate that they didn't try and fake stuff and they could have done that in a lot but I think is why I appreciate Zak, he may rub people the wrong way but I have to thank him for not forcing paranormal stuff into his documentary. Yes, below I state that I wanted to see more of the investigation and less of the interviews but what if that meant they had to fabricate activity to make the documentary more "real".

maS4HIt.jpg

The Bad: If you are not familiar with the TV show and it's host, you might dislike Zak and his special "Yo bro-style" of paranormal investigating and might actually be turned off by him. The payoff let me down since the documentary is 90% interviews and 10% actual investigating, basically the opposite of what we see in the Ghost Adventures series. When you build up a haunted location so much because of decades of activity and with various people claiming the house negatively affected them after leaving it, you would expect so much more evidence and not just small moments of ..."what is that?" "why is he behaving that way?". The house is said to have more than 200 demons living in it and in the three years it took the documentary to be made, we only see a handful of moments that rewarded me for sitting through it. Yes, I didn't want this to come across as just a longer version of the TV show, and if you followed the TV show like I did at one point, the documentary is different enough; but the one thing that makes the TV show worth watching are all the tools and equipment they have at their disposal to debunk or confirm an actual haunting. So as i sat there processing all the information about the nastiness of the house and all it's possible threats, threats and history so crazy that a ghost hunter actually buys the house , I couldn't help but expect to see a tremendous investigation but there isn't. And while the show isn't always filled with paranormal activity, I thought the way this evil demon house was built up to be this incredible place of evil and poltergeist, just falls flat and made me think that the reason why the documentary is 90% interviews and 10% investigation was because of lack of anything being seen. I mean, three years of owning the house in an effort to capture something and while they do capture something creepy, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by the entire investigation. I mean, where were the tools they usually use? Surely a house filled with 200 demons would demand you bring out all your equipment and perhaps they did just that and sadly nothing was found for them to put into the documentary so they opted instead for the film to rely on the recounting of the various experiences by people that have lived in that house to count for the chills and suspense. The reenactments that plague the TV show also appear here and are less effective and actually become a distraction as what my imagination was drawing up when the social workers are talking was way more frightening than any visual shown to me.

ga652EM.jpg

The Ugly: The condition Zak claims he acquired by being in the house and doing the documentary is so ridiculous to me and it almost ruined the whole thing for me. I mean, this is a house where damn exorcisms have taken place, priests have probably thrown a lot of holy water around that house but it's Zak that it decides to "attack" and affect him for the rest of his life? I know that we are told of the many ailments people that have come across that house came to experience but what Zak received was special and I can't say I had ever heard of that before. I mean, I love the paranormal and I have watched 1,000's of hours of such material and I have seen the trinity scratches be a recurring theme which seems realistic but I have a hard time accepting that no other paranormal investigator has experienced the same thing? Had they revealed at the very end that a person from the house's past actually suffered the same ailment as Zak suffers, then I would have been all in with that reveal. Instead I found myself chuckling and saying..."you unlucky bastard, you." The part where we learn that a huge movie studio is involved with the Ammons family and has offered to buy the rights to their story. While this does expose how popular the Ammons story is, it also then goes on to re-interview someone that lived with the family and claim that "for the right price, anyone will say anything." That whole sequence comes to early in the documentary and I began questioning the people that had been interviewed. Two thoughts popped into my head, 1) "Are people making stuff up because they have been paid to sensationalize the hauntings?" , 2) "Oh man, I think we are going to see some shit in that house, I can't wait!!." 

GlnN4OT.jpg

Final Verdict...3/5...Are you a huge paranormal fan with a great and active imagination? If yes, then watch this because there is a lot of things it brings to the table and your imagination will keep you interested until they finally investigate the house. If you never watched an episode of Ghost Adventures, prepare for the reenactments and scary images as they are a staple of the TV show which I always thought was a waste since a dude in a costume isn't scarier than what my mind was conjuring. I am what you would call a "Want-to-believe" person and is why I enjoy those shows. I enjoy the notion of the paranormal and really did like watching this, mainly because despite never really, really, really being blown away by anything on any paranormal show I always convince myself that I will finally see something that will change the way even skeptics think of ghost hunting. I began watching Ghost Adventures, like most people, after I saw the brick footage on their original show. While I think Zak presents everything like a "bro", to me at least he comes across as serious about his investigating. He tries to debunk things first and not always out to prove real paranormal activity and I while I was underwhelmed by this documentary in the end, I appreciate that what we do see seems to be genuine and not manufactured even if it's not a whole lot. So the search to convince me 1,000% that someday someone will capture something more concrete that will change the course of humanity, will have to continue. 

ImhhMSx.jpg

DxQ6w8d.jpg?1

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I recently saw "The First Purge." 

I was a bit disappointed. The plot twist wasn't well written. I had this expectation of it to be more intense and thrilling, but I should have known better since it is the pre-quel to the Purge series. You have your typical countdown, alarm sound, people scared and gathering together, and then those who wanted to Purge made their way out to the streets. These were all new actors for me, so it was a nice refresher to start a movie not being familiar with the actors/actresses, so you don't have this bias perception of their acting skills. They did manage to add in some humor throughout the movie, so that was something new.

But Dmitri.. that dark chocolate.. was sexy as fudge, so it made the movie worth while to watch. 

If out of 10 points .. I'd give it a 6.

• Like 1

The Babadook (2014)

OBvGBYE.jpg

The Awesome: The movie's atmosphere is tremendous. The actress playing the mother, Essie Davis, wow what a performance! I think only Toni Collette in Hereditary has this performance beat. Half way through the film I really began feeling for the mom because her acting is just stellar. I bought into her suffering and stress spiral fully!!!! The book scenes, wow, never will look at a pop-up book the same ever again. Those scenes are terrifying because of the skill in which they were shot. The art design of the book is brilliant and the fact you can own a copy of the book IRL is tremendous. The sound design is super creepy and adds character to the movie. The mental gymnastics I ended up putting my brain through at the end has been great. The line by the mother, "Why don't you go and..." was fantastic and shocking. The post-viewing research and discovery of the meaning behind Mister Babadook really transforms the film and it's ending and really gave my brain things to chew on. Did a great job of making me sympathize with the boy after finding him obnoxious the first half of the movie. The way we see the mother miss out on sleep was done brilliantly as I felt her insomnia or better the feeling that time speeds up for her when she goes to bed. That is a nightmare IRL for me as I love to sleep and being in a situation where as soon as I begin to fall into that awesome sleep state, the alarm goes off and I have to wake up, is just terrifying. The anagram: A Bad Book.

A9jAECI.png

The Good: Real good moments of dread and spooky moments that do not rely on jump scares for effectiveness. The tension of waiting for the Babadook to arrive is thick as syrup. Really liked the cinematography and set design. The house really conveys what the mother is feeling internally if that makes sense. How real the film felt thanks to the mother's performance, at times it really comes across like a documentary and not a movie. The little boy was annoying but the formula here was to get him to crawl under your skin the way he was getting under his mom's overtired and stressed out skin so you can understand her emotions. I watched this while my wife was getting ready to go out and wife kept asking questions like..."why doesn't she go see a doctor?" She does. And then she asked, "why doesn't she go to a psychiatrist?" She gets that advice too. Then she asked, "why doesn't she go to the police?", and she does, so I appreciated a character that behaved like a real life person would and took realistic steps in looking for help.  I also liked how this movie didn't follow the cliches or the usual horror stuff that makes material like this predictable, we kind of take the path to those cliches but they never materialize.

g55qm6k.jpg

The Bad: The little boy had moments where he smiles after he delivers serious lines and it breaks the immersion of the scenes and some moments he overacts. It's not that he is horrible, just some scenes came across as comical because of him. The ending at first really disappointed me because I couldn't figure out why things had been resolved so abruptly and if you don't get invested enough in wanting to learn more because you end up caring for the characters then you probably won't come across the theories on the movie and it's material. If you watch it because you want to see the Babadook and sleep with your lights on, just keep in mind that the scares come mostly from what you form in your head more than what you will see on screen, but you do see the monster, so don't worry.

fnCn7gm.jpg

The Ugly: Immediately after the movie ended, I really hated the end because although I appreciate not having everything explained to me, I felt like it just ends with some sort of unexplained resolution. Had I not bothered to dig deeper and look for explanations, I would have missed out on what I feel is the meaning of the movie, which elevates the entire thing to another level of good. The CGI in some of the scenes looks cheap and the effect didn't seem to match the tone of the Babadook. The guy that wrote the Exorcist called this the "scariest movie he has ever seen.". 

95UBOjL.jpg

Final Verdict...3/5...or...4/5...As you can see i'm giving the film two grades, I've included the spoiler for the higher score below, so if you have never watched it and plan on it, don't spoil it for yourself so you can have the same reaction I had in case you miss it too. The movie is great in many places with its chilling atmosphere and spiral into madness. The performance by Essie Davis is worth the viewing as she really is superb and takes us on this ride. I thought I'd watch this and move on to the next but here I am digging deeper about a film four years old because I feel the writer/director showed us something normal in such a dark, dark way. I recommend it for the burn and  if you have not seen it, don't research it. I knew very little about it and I think it's best that way. 

EsLcgis.jpg

Spoiler:

The reason I am giving this movie two scores is because after learning of a theory regarding the movie, it elevates it’s genius for me. That theory is that the mother is the actual Babadook, holy shit, I never considered that after watching it. If this is the case, then what the writer/director crafted was pure genius. A scene of the mother putting the book together in a flash back would have given us too much information and would have caused me to ignore the Babadook monster threat. And I was fully focused on Mister Babadook the entire time!!

Edited by Con

GLOW: The Story of The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (2012)

HqGeZZP.jpg

The Awesome: Reconnecting with these fine ladies of wrestling from my early testosterone fueled teen years really brought back a lot of memories of not just them but what was to come in my life entering those teenage years. Just the great revived dormant memories of me coming home late at night after partying with friends and watching GLOW. Learning why the show suddenly just ended without explanation, especially since it was so popular by 1990. Learning about the lives of some of the wrestlers, what they did before the auditions, during their time at GLOW and were they ended up after the abrupt end to their popular show. Reliving my crushes on Colonel Ninotchka and finding out she wasn't even really Russian and my crush on Hollywood. I was so young when they were cancelled that I never heard that Hollywood went on to do Playboy, I do now. The interviews with the ladies were done very well and the reveals of the effects of wrestling on their bodies were sobering. A great human interest story of a group of people that put on a unique and pioneering show. The surprise in the 3rd Act was the thing I was hoping would happen as I watched the 1st and 2nd Acts, but thankfully, I did not have to wait and it was very touching and the build up was great. I love these Where Are They Now-type of documentaries. Really funny how daring and risky some of the skits and story lines were that they got away with. Seeing what the ladies look like after all these years was amazing.

Dlh9BSe.jpg

The Good: Many of the wrestlers are featured and you get such great insight to what a lot of them went through and how some tried to use the show to get acting careers started and some just wanted to be on TV, but ultimately, the ones that stayed were the ones that actually enjoyed the physicality. Finding out that the first casting calls were not for women wrestlers but for good-looking women that had no idea what they were auditioning for. Watching the show being built from the ground up and how it transformed wrestling and gave women's wrestling credibility despite the cartoonish feel to the entire show. I started watching it for the pretty girls when it premiered but ended up really enjoying the wrestling as you could tell they were being trained seriously and the wrestling wasn't great but always fun to see women pile driving each other. Without a doubt, GLOW went on to influence the women of the WWE, perfect example and serious surprise learning that Ivory of WWE fame (1999-2005) was Tina Ferrari from GLOW! My jaw dropped! Reminded me of how the ladies took what they did seriously and defended themselves when audiences implied that they should be doing more "lady-like" occupations when on as guests on mega-talk shows like Donohue and Sally Jesse Raphael. They really empowered women athletes all over the world and while the wrestling is scripted, the bumps, bruises, scratches, and injuries are real. You don't have to like pro-wrestling to enjoy this documentary as it is just a human interest story that involves 40+ people loving to entertain the crowds. Learning about how the ladies adopted their names and alter-egos and how much creative control they had over their characters and costumes. The vintage footage was great and really took me back to those years of my life. 

QgjhlOq.jpg

The Bad: Some might find the injury to Susie Spirit a bit graphic. But her smile as she walks out of the ring sums up how amazing these women and the show was....all heart. If you hated the show GLOW, then skip this. The beat and song the ladies had to do their flows to in the GLOW rap. I know it was '86 when the show began but I was listening to music with much better beats than the one they used. Some of the girls could flow to the beat but some were cringe-worthy, but that was part of the charm. 

5o1vUGB.jpg

The Ugly: How corporations just discard our heroes and stars no matter how much joy or inspiration they bring to us. Had it not been for social media, the GLOW ladies wouldn't have enjoyed the revival and the resulting "After-Glow Fan Cruise" and the current NETFLIX series inspired by the original GLOW concept. But try as they may, I doubt highly I can experience the same feelings I had when I watched the original.

jrExOqD.jpg

Final Verdict...4/5... I couldn't help but get the same feelings I got at the end credits where we see photos of the real "All American Girls Professional Ball League" players in the movie "A League of Their Own",  except I had that feeling the entire time while watching this. This documentary was just one big reunion for me with these women, I used to watch them religiously. I had forgot all about GLOW and how much I really enjoyed watching them. I was just hitting that age where girls were starting to get my attention, my hormones were starting to fire on all cylinders and here was a women wrestling show full of crotch-grabbing and suggestiveness. I was in love with Colonel Ninotchka and she still looks amazing to me. I'm glad this documentary was made as I never realized how special the show was and how these women possessed amazing drive, fight, and spirit, all things that teenage me never appreciated back then.

eTn5grJ.jpg

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Maximum Overdrive

6e677caaf153404a7b7231bdf39c0ae6.jpeg

If you've not seen it you should, it's a shitty movie but fun to watch. I think this is the 1000th or so time I have seen it. It was cool when I was a kid, now it's just cuz nothing better was on to watch

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Maximum Overdrive

If you've not seen it you should, it's a shitty movie but fun to watch. I think this is the 1000th or so time I have seen it. It was cool when I was a kid, now it's just cuz nothing better was on to watch

Love watching that for the classic trucks and kickass soundtrack. 

6 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Maximum Overdrive

10 Sentient Facts About Maximum Overdrive

BY JENNIFER M WOOD

Maximum Overdrive won’t ever go down in Hollywood’s history books as the best adaptation of a Stephen King story. But in some ways, it might be the legendary author’s most personal piece of cinematic output, due to the fact that he directed it (his sole attempt at that career). Yet King has been extremely critical of the film, which sees murder-minded machines come to life.

Though it was also overwhelmingly derided by critics, Maximum Overdrivehas developed a dedicated cult following over the years—and features one hell of a soundtrack. On the 30th anniversary of the film’s release, we’ve dug up 10 facts about the so-bad-it’s-good sci-fi/horror/comedy.

1. STEPHEN KING WAS STUCK ON HAVING BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN STAR.

Stephen King is a man who knows what he wants—and for the lead role of Bill Robinson, he wanted Bruce Springsteen. There was just one problem: Dino De Laurentiis, the film’s executive producer, did not know who The Boss was. “Stephen King wanted an ‘unknown’ actor at that time: Bruce Springsteen,” translator Roberto Croci recalled to /Film. According to Croci, King told De Laurentiis, “‘I can do 10 movies for you, Dino, but I want Bruce Springsteen.’ But Dino said, ‘Bruce who? Bruce who?’ Dino didn’t know. He didn’t know he was The Boss; the man who would change rock music. So Stephen King explain[ed] … ‘I want to direct Bruce. This is my movie and the truck driver is Bruce Springsteen.’ But Dino didn’t care. He just [said], ‘I’ll get Emilio [Estevez], Martin [Sheen’s] son.’ When that moment became official—that there was no Bruce Springsteen—Stephen King couldn’t give a sh*t about the movie. That’s my opinion.”

2. IT WAS KING WHO PERSUADED AC/DC TO CREATE THE SOUNDTRACK.

King has long professed his appreciation for AC/DC and desperately wanted to get them involved in the making of Maximum Overdrive. Legend has it that he wooed them by proving his fandom and singing “Ain’t No Fun Waiting Round to Be a Millionaire” from their 1976 album Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in its entirety. The band agreed to provide the music for the film, which they released as 1987’s “Who Made Who.” Only the earliest pressings of the album note that it’s the official soundtrack to King’s film.

3. THE HAPPY TOYZ TRUCK IS MODELED ON THE GREEN GOBLIN.

The film’s main villain is the ironically named Happy Toyz Truck, a tractor trailer with a (homicidal) mind of its own. If the goblin-esque mask that sits on the front of the truck looks familiar, that’s because it’s modeled after Marvel’s Green Goblin.

4. THE HAPPY TOYZ GOBLIN IS A REGULAR VISITOR TO HORROR FESTIVALS.

Following the film’s completion, the truck—which was pretty damaged from the shoot—was brought to a salvage yard in Wilmington, North Carolina, where filming took place. In 1987, movie memorabilia collector Tim Shockey snatched it up, thinking it would make a fun prop for the video store he owned (at the time, he had never seen Maximum Overdrive). He then set about restoring the Goblin head and, in 2013, brought it to Cincinnati’s HorrorHound Weekend. Since then, it has regularly been spotted at horror festivals and conventions around the country. You can follow its adventures on Facebook and Twitter.

5. YOU MIGHT RECOGNIZE THE SCORE USED IN THE TRAILER.

King took a very in-your-face approach to the trailer for Maximum Overdrive, making himself the star of it. In addition to promising the audience that he would “scare the hell out of” them, King also took the opportunity to throw shade at the filmmakers who had previously adapted his works, saying that he decided to direct the film because, “If you want something done right, you ought to do it yourself” and that “I just wanted someone to do Stephen King right.” And he made all these proclamations set to the score of Tommy Lee Wallace’s equally maligned Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982). 

6. KING JUST MAY BE THE FILM’S HARSHEST CRITIC.

Despite his many promises in the trailer above, it was King himself who ended up being the film’s harshest critic. While doing press for the film in 1983, King told the Gainesville Sun that Maximum Overdrive was “a moron movie, like Splash! You check your brains at the box office and you come out 96 minutes later and pick them up again. People say, ‘How’d you like the movie,’ and you can’t say much. It’s not like The Big Chill or 2001.”

7. DRUG ADDICTION MAY HAVE PLAYED A PART IN THE FILM’S EXECUTION.

In the mid-1980s, King struggled with drug and alcohol addiction, and was later very frank with how his habitual use of cocaine, Valium, and Xanax impacted his work. He had frequent blackouts and admitted that he doesn’t really remember writing Cujo. As for Maximum Overdrive? “The problem with that film is that I was coked out of my mind all through its production, and I didn’t know what I was doing,” King said.

8. ONE OF THE MOVIE’S HOMICIDAL MACHINES SERIOUSLY INJURED THE CINEMATOGRAPHER.

On July 31, 1985, tragedy struck on the set of the film when a radio-controlled lawnmower that was being featured as one of the film’s sentient machines malfunctioned and struck a piece of wood that was being used as a camera support. Though cinematographer Armando Nannuzzi had wanted to remove the blades from the lawnmower before filming, King reportedly wanted it to be as realistic as possible. So when the out-of-control machine struck the wood, the wedge splintered and injured Nannuzzi so badly that he lost his right eye.

“That splint of wood—my god, the odds were a gazillion and one—that splint of wood then went into Armando’s eye,” recalled Martha De Laurentiis, Dino’s wife and the film’s producer. “For a cameraman to lose his eye … my god.”

Nannuzzi ended upsuing King and 17 others involved in the making of the film for $18 million, citing that they were “wanton and reckless.” The case eventually settled out of court.

9. BLUE VELVET WAS SHOOTING IN WILMINGTON AT THE SAME TIME.

While King was busy shooting Maximum Overdrive, David Lynch was also in town, filming Blue Velvet (another De Laurentiis production). Inevitably, the cast and crew of both movies started to hang out. “They were also shooting Blue Velvet at the same time, so that was all around us, too,” said Laura Harrington, who played Brett. “I remember having lunch with Laura Dern. Several times. And that was very fun, that whole crew of actors. But, of course, they were in such a different mood.”

“Because it was a small community, my night were [spent] together with people like David Lynch, Isabella Rossellini, and others,” camera assistant Silvia Giulietti added. “For me, in that moment, it was normal. Later, when I grew up, I underst[ood] that it was a very magic moment.”

10. IT WAS REFERENCED BY THE SIMPSONS.

In 1999, during its tenth season, an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer temporarily becomes a truck driver was titled “Maximum Homerdrive.” While some might just consider it a fun play on a title, it’s actually more meta than that, as Yeardley Smith, who has been voicing Lisa Simpson since 1987, starred in Maximum Overdrive. “I remember chitchatting with Yeardley Smith at some point toward the end of production,” grip Joe D'Alessandro remembered. “She was telling me about some little animated thing that she was going to be doing on this thing called The Tracey Ullman Show. It sounded odd but, you know, that turned out to be The Simpsons.”

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

The other day I rented "Escape Plan" off of Amazon Video starring Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson. The story line was great and the plot twist at the end came out of nowhere. I did not like some of the acting from the villain's character - didn't seem tough enough for me especially that little facial gesture and sound he made right before he died. Arnold had some great comedic scenes which I was not expecting - especially when he started speaking in German. Haha. 

I also rented "Escape Plan 2." WORST SEQUEL. Don't watch it. It drags on throughout the movie although it's pretty much the same story line. Poor acting and too much CGI. They added a new young cast of actors. The only cool thing about that movie is the new prison layout they developed. They added Bautista in there, but he had such a small insignificant role -- his name probably had a bigger role for him than the scene they put him in. I think you see Bautista in the movie like 2 times. I literally dozed off like half-way into the movie. The 1st movie is way better.. they should have just kept it there although I did read somewhere that they had plans for a part 3.

Overall, the first Escape Plan I'll rate a 7 out of 10. No vote for the sequel.

• Like 1

@nkaujrog love your latest dual review, just one thing, in the first one you disclose that the villain dies. Could you please hide the spoilers. To do this all you need is the “spoiler and “/spoiler” brackets at the start of the sentence and at the end. This hides any spoilers. You never know who might want to watch a movie you reviewed. Thanks!  

Edited by Con

4 minutes ago, Con said:

@nkaujrog love your latest dual review, just one thing, in the first one you disclose that the villain dies. Could you please hide the spoilers. To do this all you need is the “spoiler and “/spoiler” brackets at the start of the sentence and at the end. This hides any spoilers. You never know who might want to watch a movie you reviewed. Thanks!  

So sorry.. I just got all into it. Haha. Thanks! :)

• Haha 1

Rewatched this one today... This intro with that amazing theme music just blows me away!!! 50 years after it was done, it is still one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made!

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C Clarke (the story writer behind this movie)

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, Con said:

10 Sentient Facts About Maximum Overdrive

BY JENNIFER M WOOD

Maximum Overdrive won’t ever go down in Hollywood’s history books as the best adaptation of a Stephen King story. But in some ways, it might be the legendary author’s most personal piece of cinematic output, due to the fact that he directed it (his sole attempt at that career). Yet King has been extremely critical of the film, which sees murder-minded machines come to life.

Though it was also overwhelmingly derided by critics, Maximum Overdrivehas developed a dedicated cult following over the years—and features one hell of a soundtrack. On the 30th anniversary of the film’s release, we’ve dug up 10 facts about the so-bad-it’s-good sci-fi/horror/comedy.

1. STEPHEN KING WAS STUCK ON HAVING BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN STAR.

Stephen King is a man who knows what he wants—and for the lead role of Bill Robinson, he wanted Bruce Springsteen. There was just one problem: Dino De Laurentiis, the film’s executive producer, did not know who The Boss was. “Stephen King wanted an ‘unknown’ actor at that time: Bruce Springsteen,” translator Roberto Croci recalled to /Film. According to Croci, King told De Laurentiis, “‘I can do 10 movies for you, Dino, but I want Bruce Springsteen.’ But Dino said, ‘Bruce who? Bruce who?’ Dino didn’t know. He didn’t know he was The Boss; the man who would change rock music. So Stephen King explain[ed] … ‘I want to direct Bruce. This is my movie and the truck driver is Bruce Springsteen.’ But Dino didn’t care. He just [said], ‘I’ll get Emilio [Estevez], Martin [Sheen’s] son.’ When that moment became official—that there was no Bruce Springsteen—Stephen King couldn’t give a sh*t about the movie. That’s my opinion.”

2. IT WAS KING WHO PERSUADED AC/DC TO CREATE THE SOUNDTRACK.

King has long professed his appreciation for AC/DC and desperately wanted to get them involved in the making of Maximum Overdrive. Legend has it that he wooed them by proving his fandom and singing “Ain’t No Fun Waiting Round to Be a Millionaire” from their 1976 album Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in its entirety. The band agreed to provide the music for the film, which they released as 1987’s “Who Made Who.” Only the earliest pressings of the album note that it’s the official soundtrack to King’s film.

3. THE HAPPY TOYZ TRUCK IS MODELED ON THE GREEN GOBLIN.

The film’s main villain is the ironically named Happy Toyz Truck, a tractor trailer with a (homicidal) mind of its own. If the goblin-esque mask that sits on the front of the truck looks familiar, that’s because it’s modeled after Marvel’s Green Goblin.

4. THE HAPPY TOYZ GOBLIN IS A REGULAR VISITOR TO HORROR FESTIVALS.

Following the film’s completion, the truck—which was pretty damaged from the shoot—was brought to a salvage yard in Wilmington, North Carolina, where filming took place. In 1987, movie memorabilia collector Tim Shockey snatched it up, thinking it would make a fun prop for the video store he owned (at the time, he had never seen Maximum Overdrive). He then set about restoring the Goblin head and, in 2013, brought it to Cincinnati’s HorrorHound Weekend. Since then, it has regularly been spotted at horror festivals and conventions around the country. You can follow its adventures on Facebook and Twitter.

5. YOU MIGHT RECOGNIZE THE SCORE USED IN THE TRAILER.

King took a very in-your-face approach to the trailer for Maximum Overdrive, making himself the star of it. In addition to promising the audience that he would “scare the hell out of” them, King also took the opportunity to throw shade at the filmmakers who had previously adapted his works, saying that he decided to direct the film because, “If you want something done right, you ought to do it yourself” and that “I just wanted someone to do Stephen King right.” And he made all these proclamations set to the score of Tommy Lee Wallace’s equally maligned Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982). 

6. KING JUST MAY BE THE FILM’S HARSHEST CRITIC.

Despite his many promises in the trailer above, it was King himself who ended up being the film’s harshest critic. While doing press for the film in 1983, King told the Gainesville Sun that Maximum Overdrive was “a moron movie, like Splash! You check your brains at the box office and you come out 96 minutes later and pick them up again. People say, ‘How’d you like the movie,’ and you can’t say much. It’s not like The Big Chill or 2001.”

7. DRUG ADDICTION MAY HAVE PLAYED A PART IN THE FILM’S EXECUTION.

In the mid-1980s, King struggled with drug and alcohol addiction, and was later very frank with how his habitual use of cocaine, Valium, and Xanax impacted his work. He had frequent blackouts and admitted that he doesn’t really remember writing Cujo. As for Maximum Overdrive? “The problem with that film is that I was coked out of my mind all through its production, and I didn’t know what I was doing,” King said.

8. ONE OF THE MOVIE’S HOMICIDAL MACHINES SERIOUSLY INJURED THE CINEMATOGRAPHER.

On July 31, 1985, tragedy struck on the set of the film when a radio-controlled lawnmower that was being featured as one of the film’s sentient machines malfunctioned and struck a piece of wood that was being used as a camera support. Though cinematographer Armando Nannuzzi had wanted to remove the blades from the lawnmower before filming, King reportedly wanted it to be as realistic as possible. So when the out-of-control machine struck the wood, the wedge splintered and injured Nannuzzi so badly that he lost his right eye.

“That splint of wood—my god, the odds were a gazillion and one—that splint of wood then went into Armando’s eye,” recalled Martha De Laurentiis, Dino’s wife and the film’s producer. “For a cameraman to lose his eye … my god.”

Nannuzzi ended upsuing King and 17 others involved in the making of the film for $18 million, citing that they were “wanton and reckless.” The case eventually settled out of court.

9. BLUE VELVET WAS SHOOTING IN WILMINGTON AT THE SAME TIME.

While King was busy shooting Maximum Overdrive, David Lynch was also in town, filming Blue Velvet (another De Laurentiis production). Inevitably, the cast and crew of both movies started to hang out. “They were also shooting Blue Velvet at the same time, so that was all around us, too,” said Laura Harrington, who played Brett. “I remember having lunch with Laura Dern. Several times. And that was very fun, that whole crew of actors. But, of course, they were in such a different mood.”

“Because it was a small community, my night were [spent] together with people like David Lynch, Isabella Rossellini, and others,” camera assistant Silvia Giulietti added. “For me, in that moment, it was normal. Later, when I grew up, I underst[ood] that it was a very magic moment.”

10. IT WAS REFERENCED BY THE SIMPSONS.

In 1999, during its tenth season, an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer temporarily becomes a truck driver was titled “Maximum Homerdrive.” While some might just consider it a fun play on a title, it’s actually more meta than that, as Yeardley Smith, who has been voicing Lisa Simpson since 1987, starred in Maximum Overdrive. “I remember chitchatting with Yeardley Smith at some point toward the end of production,” grip Joe D'Alessandro remembered. “She was telling me about some little animated thing that she was going to be doing on this thing called The Tracey Ullman Show. It sounded odd but, you know, that turned out to be The Simpsons.”

Love this movie! Thanks for that article those are some interesting facts. 

For some reason Maximum Overdrive is linked to another favorite, Repo Man. Both have great soundtracks and star Emilio Estevez. 

A REPO MAN'S LIFE IS ALWAYS INTENSE!

• Like 1

The Meg  (2018)KHFIRU6.jpg

The Awesome: It's a Megalodon movie!!! People will learn or hear of the Mariana's Trench for the first time and doing so will learn about Don Walsh and Jacques Picard, two of the bravest men to ever live in my opinion and that is awesome!! I remember the first time I read about the Mariana's Trench it and how frighteningly fascinated I became--- even if I know I will NEVER go Challenger Deep out there! Cinematography looks great. The film looks crisp and clear in scenes above water and that gives you a great contrast when we fearfully go underwater and wish we were back under the sun. The sharks look great and for the most part, the Meg looks convincing. The underwater scenes are suspenseful as we can only see a few feet ahead of us and that adds crazy tension. The beach scene looks gorgeous and the anticipation it builds is great. I enjoyed how they explained the discovery of the lost habitat even if it is a bit far-fetched since this type of discovery would have already been done. 

Tm2LsdO.jpg

The Good: The personal relationships of the thinly layered characters are never explored which is good because we want to see a shark movie not a love story or love triangle. This was a great move because I found myself getting upset at some of the relationship scenes as I kept saying...."you guys know there is a loose 2 Million year-old Megalodon in waters it probably doesn't recognize, while you sit here and small talk." The shark looks menacing and is why you are filled with dread whenever you are waiting for the thing to show. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, so you can overlook some of the Hollywood action stuff. The whale carcasses looked very authentic. The design of the underwater facility was fantastic. I'm no fan of the open ocean but I wanted to tour that facility. The premise is fun and I have always enjoyed the idea of prehistoric animals coming back to life. 

p7Wk5wy.jpg

The Bad: Felt hollow. I wanted more just not sure of what. Maybe the Meg or maybe some blood or maybe a bigger sense of more humans in danger. Some of the actions the crew takes after the first encounter just seems ludicrous. And i have to give the character, Suyin, the worst parent of the decade award. After they know what's down there with them, why the hell didn't she immediately have her daughter removed from the research facility, I mean, come on brah! The beach scene I mention in the awesome section had to be mentioned here because I feel this is where the film really misses it's greatest opportunity to thrill us moviegoers that went to see a Meg eating people. Yes, there are beach goers that get to meet the Meg but no doubt had Eli Roth been left to direct, I can only imagine the carnage we would have rightfully seen and the R Rating that would have made it impactful for us gore-hounds. The helicopter chase scene was cool but contrived and that goes for all the scenes where the crew seems to get some "assistance". You go on an expedition with the billionaire that is funding the trip, shit goes bad and he almost dies, pretty sure that billionaire is the fuck out of there ASAP!! Nope, not our billionaire, greed has turned him into a stupid ass, that is clear. The explanation of how the Meg was able to leave it's habitat was laughable. But that isn't the filmmakers fault that I am a science-whore. While I did appreciate the movie paying homage to Jaws in many scenes, there is one scene where they basically copied Jaws and I felt they could have been a bit more original.

AVBXoC7.jpg

The Ugly: Should have been Rated R!!!! A PG-13 rating clearly hurt this movie since you can see where they cut the gore out and it really lessens the impact of the attacks (although an animal this large would probably end up swallowing an adult whole instead of chomping them to pieces). The dialogue is so bad at times that the jokes sometimes don't fit and some of the lines by the supporting cast are cringe-worthy, especially in the 3rd Act. The perception of our main protagonist is that he let people die in a failed past attempt at a deep water rescue so he has to kind of redeem himself in the eyes of the crew that has hired him but dammit if they don't beat you on the head with that plot point. I mean, I don't remember seeing a film where the hero is thanked time and time again. We get it the first time, no need to have people come out of unconsciousness and the first thing they say after they open their eyes is "Thank You, you saved my life, again" to the hero. The love or attraction elements between the characters didn't work for me as I didn't care who was going to love who at the end. I wanted Meg eating humans. No time for love. There are some of the underwater attacks that just shocked me at how bad the science and realism was, I mean, it looks like the filmmakers did some research on whales and sharks and even what we know about Megalodons, but there is no excuse for some huge errors. Here is one that angered me...

When large sea animals open their mouths underwater, they create a vacuum and the water around them is pulled into their mouths like a current and anything in that area is being sucked into the animal, it's just simple science, but they put a scene in where the Meg is caught on an anchor or something just as it is about to eat/swallow our hero but is left INCHES away, but the shark is opening it's mouth like a wild dog trying to bite. Imagine a dog on a chain. On land, I can buy it. In the water in front of the mouth of a Meg? That was very, very, disappointing because I'm sure people probably clapped and cheered at that moment while i fully groaned. Also, hard to suspend belief when you see a human out swimming a 90ft Megalodon!! I mean, let's get real here. Seriously. But the thing that really fucking pissed me off was that for 95% of the film we think we are dealing with the Meg but it's just baby-Meg, Mega-Meg the shark I actually paid to go see only shows up in the last 20 minutes of the film!!

GrI1pEe.jpg

Special "Does the Yorkie Survive?” Hatch Spoiler:

Hatch, it looks like it doesn’t....at first. But it does.

Final Verdict...3/5....Really wanted to give this 2/5 but there was some real effort put into this by the filmmakers. It doesn't take itself too serious, which works and doesn't work for this type of movie. What makes Jaws such a classic, besides the shark, is that there is perfect balance between terror, suspense, comedy, and story-telling. Nothing in Jaws seems beyond the realm of possibility. But this is supposed to be a film about a 2 Million year-old species that has found itself in a new habitat with the whole ocean to explore and somehow not only does it stay relatively local, no one else besides a few other boats see it and never alert the local governments or military. And while thankfully we don't get a King Kong ending, I had a hard time accepting that this crew could really think they could take this animal down by themselves. If you fear the vast ocean and sharks, I recommend it because it works on that “popcorn movie” level. 

5n5Oioc.jpg

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Con said:

The Meg  (2018)KHFIRU6.jpg

The Awesome: It's a Megalodon movie!!! People will learn or hear of the Mariana's Trench for the first time and doing so will learn about Don Walsh and Jacques Picard, two of the bravest men to ever live in my opinion and that is awesome!! I remember the first time I read about the Mariana's Trench it and how frighteningly fascinated I was even if I know I will NEVER go Challenger Deep out there! Cinematography looks great. The film looks crisp and clear in scenes above water and that gives you a great contrast when we go underwater and wish we were back under the sun. The sharks look great and for the most part, the Meg looks convincing. The underwater scenes are suspenseful as we can only see a few feet ahead of us and that adds crazy tension. The beach scene looks gorgeous and the anticipation it builds is great. I enjoyed how they explained the discovery of the lost habitat even if it is a bit far-fetched since this type of discovery would have already been done. 

Tm2LsdO.jpg

The Good: The personal relationships of the thinly layered characters are never explored which is good because we want to see a shark movie not a love story or love triangle. This was a great move because I found myself getting upset at some of the relationship scenes as I kept saying...."you guys know there is a loose 2 Million year-old Megalodon in waters it probably doesn't recognize." The shark looks menacing and is why you are filled with dread whenever you are waiting for the thing to show. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, so you can overlook some of the Hollywood action stuff. The whale carcasses looked very authentic. The design of the underwater facility was fantastic. I'm no fan of the open ocean but I wanted to tour that facility. The premise is fun and I have always enjoyed the idea of prehistoric animals coming back to life. 

p7Wk5wy.jpg

The Bad: Felt hollow. I wanted more just not sure of what. Maybe the Meg or maybe some blood or maybe a bigger sense of more humans in danger. Some of the actions the crew takes after the first encounter just seems ludicrous. And i have to give the character, Suyin, the worst parent of the decade award. After they know what's down there with them, why the hell didn't she immediately have her daughter removed from the research facility, I mean, come on brah! The beach scene I mention in the awesome section had to be mentioned here because I feel this is where the film really misses it's greatest opportunity to thrill us moviegoers that went to see a Meg eating people. Yes, there are beach goers that get to meet the Meg but no doubt had Eli Roth been left to direct, I can only imagine the carnage we would have rightfully seen and the R Rating that would have made it impactful for us gore-hounds. The helicopter chase scene was cool but contrived and that goes for all the scenes where the crew seems to get some "assistance". You go on an expedition with the billionaire that is funding the trip. Shit goes bad and he almost dies. Pretty sure that billionaire is the fuck out of there ASAP!! Nope, not our billionaire, greed has turned him into a stupid ass, that is clear. The explanation of how the Meg was able to leave it's habitat was laughable. But that isn't the filmmakers fault that I am a science-whore. While I did appreciate the movie paying homage to Jaws in many scenes, there is one scene where they basically copied Jaws and I felt they could have been a bit more original.

AVBXoC7.jpg

The Ugly: Should have been Rated R!!!! A PG-13 rating clearly hurt this movie since you can see where they cut the gore out and it really lessens the impact of the attacks (although an animal this large would probably end up swallowing an adult whole instead of chomping them to pieces). The dialogue is so bad at times that the jokes sometimes don't fit and some of the lines by the supporting cast are cringe-worthy, especially in the 3rd Act. The perception of our main protagonist is that he let people die in a failed past attempt at a deep water rescue so he has to kind of redeem himself in the eyes of the crew that has hired him but dammit if they don't beat you on the head with that plot point. I mean, I don't remember seeing a film where the hero is thanked time and time again. We get it the first time, no need to have people come out of unconsciousness and the first thing they say after they open their eyes is "Thank You, you saved my life, again" to the hero. The love or attraction elements between the characters didn't work for me as I didn't care who was going to love who at the end. I wanted Meg eating humans. No time for love. There are some of the underwater attacks that just shocked me at how bad the science and realism was, I mean, it looks like the filmmakers did some research on whales and sharks and even what we know about Megalodons, but there is no excuse for some huge errors. Here is one that angered me...

Reveal hidden contents

GrI1pEe.jpg

Final Verdict...3/5....Really wanted to give this 2/5 but there was some real effort put into this by the filmmakers. It doesn't take itself too serious, which works and doesn't work for this type of movie. What makes Jaws such a classic, besides the shark, is that there is perfect balance between terror, suspense, comedy, and story-telling. Nothing in Jaws seems beyond the realm of possibility. But this is supposed to be a film about a 2 Million year-old species that has found itself in a new habitat with the whole ocean to explore and somehow not only does it stay relatively local, no one else besides a few other boats see it and never alert the local governments or military. And while thankfully we don't get a King Kong ending, I had a hard time accepting that this crew could really think they could take this animal down by themselves. 

5n5Oioc.jpg

Guess I'll wait for it to hit Netflix then. 

Post a spoiler for me @Con, does the yorkie live?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JustHatched said:

Guess I'll wait for it to hit Netflix then. 

Post a spoiler for me @Con, does the yorkie live?

If you like films like Lake Placid and just animals gone crazy, you have to go watch this because the theater experience is the best way to get the scope of the size of the animal. If you can get a discounted ticket, go to the cinema, it's one of those almost B-movies that benefits from the big screen. Just don't expect to be blown away by the action the way you hope to be. It's silly but okay. I was hoping it was silly but good. I think anyone afraid of the ocean like myself, should definitely watch it on the big screen.

And Hatch, LMAO, you crack me up; the last two images I posted were to illicit sympathy and you only asked about the Yorkie not the little girl. :D  I think you should watch it just to see if the Yorkie makes it. hahahaha I'll go back and post a custom spoiler just for you.

• Thanks 1

Summer of 84  (2018)

Mb0hJCV.jpg

The Awesome: The ending was an unsuspected surprise. The chemistry of the characters works and helps cement that 80's kids-adventure feel it goes for and it does that well as my inner-teen went along for the ride trying to solve the mystery but also asking myself "what would have 14 year-old Con done ?". The performances are very, very convincing by everyone and I like that the characters are somewhat fleshed out and their family lives are hinted at making you get why these boys hang out together. The role of Officer Mackey impressed me the most as he is the main suspect in the film and at the same time his subtle performance really conflicts you when trying to decide if he is the killer or not, he does a superb job. The kids also do a tremendous job, especially the main character as he has to convince us of his paranoia while maintaining courage in trying to prove his cop neighbor is the killer. The direction and cinematography were superb and both added to the story and did not distract or rely on slick camera movements to convey the suspense and there is a lot of suspense as we wait to see what Davy and his friends discover. Some elements of the 3rd Act really surprised me and probably gave me the biggest entertainment jolt as many aspects were unexpected. I liked that it kept me guessing who the killer could be even as the main character is beating you on the head to believe him. The scene where we confirm who the real killer is was really suspenseful and the reveal is pretty good and deliciously creepy.

GimO58q.jpg

The Good: The film nails the 80's feel and while relies on it heavily at the start, it eventually tones down and doesn't become a distraction. The music is great with a combination of 80's hits and a synthesizer theme that when done right, adds to the films scenes and at times makes you forget that you are watching a horror film. The characters don't do anything silly like we see in most horror-suspense films like this and I thought their dialogue, while silly at times, was realistic for their ages. The movie plays like a harmless coming of age tale wrapped in a mystery and for the first two acts it feels light with touches of suspense but when the third act arrives it reminds you that it's still a horror movie. The direction was very good as the camera angles and placement really add tension to the storytelling and make the suspenseful moments terrific. The cinematography is superb as everything is crisp and we don't have to put up with scenes where the cameras are moving and we can't see shit. Reviewers are comparing this to Stranger Things, I never watched that show, but this reminded me of the movie "Fright Night" where a high school teen thinks a vampire has moved next door, this had that 80's feel to it and I enjoyed that a lot. I liked that it accurately shows what it was like to be a teen in 1984 with no iPhones or the tech teens possess today and is why I chuckled when they pull out an encyclopedia to find out what sodium hydroxide is used for.

MsvOFcJ.png

The Bad: At times the synthesizer score wants to dictate what you should be feeling and that is always a cheap gimmick that is not needed if the set-up to the scene is strong. Most of the reviews I have read post-viewing mention this as a rip-off of Stranger Things, but that is inspired by the 80's films that came before it so while I'm sure Stranger Things is great, that is also a rip-off of something else. Every story under the sun has already been told in one way or another. If you are a person that needs their horror movies to get into the horror as soon as possible, you will be disappointed in that element here as it takes a while before you get the payoff. The character of Nikki...the actress does great but the character is Davy's ex-babysitter, she is older, cooler and she is a DJ, so would she really want to hang out with these boys and even head into the love interest zone, oh and she is also in the more blatant jump-scare scenes, but that is part of the 80's horror movie device charm too. Could have used a little more gore. At times the 80's themes seem pasted and not 80's organic as in other movies like this. 

f4keU33.jpg

The Ugly: The parents of the children of this town are by default the dumbest and most negligent parents ever. How can a sleepy quiet community know of missing children in the area and still leave their doors unlocked but worst than that is they still allow their children to play outside, especially playing what seems to be the popular nighttime hide-and-seek game!! And there is where Davy's parents take the cake as they don't care that their kid could be in danger of being abducted by the confirmed serial killer in their community and instead only become strong parental units when they feel they have to discipline their son. Some of the elements of the ending, while I thought the ending was awesome overall, there are a few holes and is when I found myself asking, how could this be possible, and while I could make sense and justify some things, If you dislike third act plot holes, then you will scratch your head at some of the crucial things that aren't explained and that is a let down as most of the movie uses small hints throughout and this was one of those moments it could have used some because once again, the community does not act accordingly to what has happened and that lack of communication really disconnected me for a bit. I know it's just a movie, I'm just pointing out the stuff they could have tweaked that would have made it better.  

nXxO8rj.jpg

Final Verdict...4/5...I enjoyed watching this as many aspects of it were done very well. The chemistry within the cast and performances really made this worth watching. I knew I was watching something I had seen before but it has it its own 80's vibe and interesting tone. A little slow in the middle but the actors keep it interesting. I'm giving it a high score because on top of it being well directed, I really liked parts of the ending and just the ending in general was a bit unexpected, although you'd  have to consider the genre and let some things slide. It did well at what it aimed to do and do recommend it, especially if you were a tween in the 80's as you'll probably appreciate the references more. The best way I can sum this movie up is that it's a fun, somewhat 'safe' coming-of-age horror film...and sometimes that isn't a bad thing. 

An9zYYY.jpg

Edited by Con

@Con I love a good shark film but the Meg definitely missed the target. 

You’re right about the gore. It was almost completely lacking. It definitely needed more blood and more boobs. 

The acting was cheesy enough and the one liners were bad which is a plus for this kind of film. 

What really let it down is the lack of body count. 

Too many people survived. It should have only been one or two at the end. 

The hot girl surviving to the end is definitely not fitting with the shark film genre. She should have been eaten while topless. 

They missed a huge trick by not having the Meg take out the helicopter while it was close to the water. That would have been an epic shot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squirrel said:

@Con I love a good shark film but the Meg definitely missed the target. 

You’re right about the gore. It was almost completely lacking. It definitely needed more blood and more boobs. 

The acting was cheesy enough and the one liners were bad which is a plus for this kind of film. 

What really let it down is the lack of body count. 

Hide contents

Too many people survived. It should have only been one or two at the end. 

The hot girl surviving to the end is definitely not fitting with the shark film genre. She should have been eaten while topless. 

They missed a huge trick by not having the Meg take out the helicopter while it was close to the water. That would have been an epic shot. 

Oh me too. I fear the ocean so shark movies get my attention too. And yes there should have been a little more gore, well placed gory moments could have elevated the visceral thrills for sure.

yes the body count seems to be implied more than anything and even then it’s very few deaths and not one is really memorable. That is what this movie truly lacked, those “Holy Shit” moment besides the “Holy Shit that shark is big” moment. Even just one scene of the thing biting down on someone and having their eyeballs pop out from the bite force. Anything like that would have given us that one moment that really makes it worth watching. The reason we don't get topless women being eaten is because of that stupid PG-13 rating. 

Like I said in my review, it lacks something that would have made it epically fun instead of just ‘okay’ for a Megalodon movie. 

Edited by Con

I just trudged through the Osiris child. I think it was the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think the only reason that I finished watching it, was to see exactly how bad this movie could become!

• Like 1

The Predator (2018) 

ZYrTlts.jpg

The Awesome: The throwback Predator was awesome in appearance and movement. The use of the original score really transported me to that feel of the original and was really a highlight of my experience. The first time we see the boy trick or treating with the Predator mask on was hilarious and I wish his walk down the street was longer. The scene towards the end of the film where the boy sees his dad kill a man, the dialogue and the way it was delivered really captured the spirit of the original for me and I wished the entire movie had been written the same way. 

TBOnTji.jpg

The Good: We get to see more of the Predator tech, like the new filters they use to hunt, just don't expect tons of it. I did like getting more insight into their backgrounds and motives beyond just being hunters of men but only to a degree. The attempt at trying to elevate autism as the next evolution of man instead of a deficit was honorable. Some kills were Predator worthy for sure and some had good gore. The character Treager has some good moments thanks to the actor's performance. The Nebraska character and actor were the best part of the "Loonies". They should have made this a buddy movie in the third act with just Nebraska and the lead character to fight the Predator. If you never saw any of the Predator films, specially the original, then you might like this as a sci-fi movie and might even overlook the things I couldn't. The third act picks up in pace and begins to resemble a Predator film but by this point, I didn't care who lived or died just how much popcorn I had left in the bucket. 

CZzHBK3.jpg

The Bad: The script. Even if you never saw the first one, you'll probably think some of the jokes are way over the top and the real crude ones are awful. One tourette syndrome inspired joke at the beginning just goes on way too long, and I didn't find hearing the word pussy being said 20 times to be all that funny. And that brings me to the comedy, this was written almost as a comedy with a Predator thrown in, while in the original, the jokes fit and ended once the action got serious, here they go on and on and on and not in that 'Predator-way' but more in 'The Hangover-way' and I would have preferred to have been shown why these guys were deadly. For example, in the original I didn't want Sonny (minor character) to die, in this I couldn't wait for everyone to die so I could go home because I didn't care about them winning. Some of the outdoor scenes in the First Act just shouted "sound stage", especially when they use wide-shots and that is on the lighting department and Director. The movie never finds it's tone and that is never a good thing.  They give the hero some of the alien tech and then forget to make him use it in smart ways. The exposition is horrible in this movie, I mean, horrible. It comes to us through character monologue and then there is exposition that we are supposed to accept because the child is autistic and can somehow understand Predator technology, but just in general that narrative is confusing and ultimately never made sense to me. Hearing that studio interference created riffs in the creative process and maybe that is what went wrong but I can't fully blame the studio for everything I disliked about it.

Q9sRCMd.jpg

The Ugly: A lot of shit does not make sense. I don't even know where to start. The story, it presents these interesting elements with the child and his condition but at the same time why would any parent of a bullied special needs child (whose father is always at work) allow him to go trick or treating all by himself and then what occurs during the trick or treating is so absurd because it is played for laughs but it mocks what the boy dislikes about his father and would have worked for me had it occurred to his mother who should have been trick or treating with him in the first place!!!! There is a scene where our heroes jump on a moving alien ship to try and find a way inside...by the way the ship is a bit damaged so it is not flying at 100% and yet these guys are hanging on for life and the shit just comes across stupid but it gets worse than that as the Predator activates the ship's force field and one guy ends up inside it and the other two outside it...the sacrifice made doesn't make any fucking sense!! Or they expect the viewer to know Predator spaceship mechanical engineering to make sense of what you are seeing. The CGI is fucking bad. If you are going to make the main monster CGI and your budget is $88M, use $80M on the CGI monster. The monster I speak of is the actual THE PREDATOR the title refers to, its the 13 foot version of the Predator species and it looks like fucking shit and moves like CGI shit and the CGI blood is even worse as it looks like cheap CGI blood. It is so bad that when im supposed to be in awe and wonder, I was fully disappointed and from that point I really didn't give a shit what was going to happen and just wanted the movie over because this wasn't a Predator movie made for me, the Predator fan that wanted more of the same just a little different from the original, this was a Predator film that was trying to be a Marvel movie and it failed miserably for me. The fucking scene where the Predator uses a dismembered limb as a prop to let the human driver know, everything is thumbs up in the back of the van, yes, you read that bullshit right, that kind of shit in a Predator film????!!!!!!!!!! The Predator dogs...sound like a great idea, I want to see them too, until they show up in the shitty CGI and then one of the dogs gets domesticated!! WTF!! It doesn't even make sense because it just happens. Any time the Predator(s) are injured or incapacitated it is always because someone falls or trips, yes, the Predators are fought using LUCK and slapstick in this movie. The master Predator comes to Earth for a reason but then gets a side mission out of nowhere? and while they explain why he ultimately wants to capture one of the protagonists, what could any human DNA possess that the already vastly advanced Predator species can use to make their species more powerful? They already are smarter, stronger, have advanced tech, they travel from galaxy to fucking galaxy, why just leave the Predator for what he is...a TROPHY HUNTER!!! Don't add motives to the Predators that ultimately do not make any sense. We have nothing to offer the Predator species. The very ending is so cringe-worthy it's ridiculous...and then the last lines spoken right before the screen goes black to end the film really helped me get the fuck out of that theatre before anyone else got up. One of the things that stood out was in the beginning of the film a scene in a forest, something crashes and leaves small fires all around, what I couldn't help but notice was how uniformly those flames all flickered, perhaps . Could the prop guys have made the flames each a different height for realism? I mean, that set the tone of the film for me. The fire looked like generic prop fire , causing the entire shot and scene to look amateurish. Most people probably didn't even notice that but I sure did. I couldn't help not notice. The flame props did get better as the film went on. I checked. Hahaha

qpTYJoY.jpg

Final Verdict...2/5... I didn't want a carbon copy of the original movie I absolutely love, but I didn't expect a near parody.  I actually had watched and read many of the negative reviews and said to myself, I have to go see this for myself, and can't get over how bad I thought this was executed on so many levels. I had very low expectations and was disappointed even more than I thought. A guy that acted and wrote for the original to make this version is just hurtful. I'm hurt. Take all the things that worked and that you love about the original Predator...now remove all those things while adding more lore to the Predator that no one is asking for...I don't want to know what the Predator does on vacation, I just want him to hunt the most advanced species' in the galaxy and occasionally be defeated. I wanted to see why these "loonies" had a chance to defeat the Predator, not how funny they could be in one room together.  I found the movie to be a hot mess with little redeeming qualities and maybe that is my inner Predator fan talking but it's that inner fan that got me out of the couch and into the cinema to go give this movie a chance. I wanted to like it. I tried to find things that made it worthwhile but as you can see the bad outweighs it by a lot. I get that they tried some new things but they just don't work for me. I wanted a Predator movie set away from the jungle, where a misfit group find themselves hunted by an alien trophy hunter and by using their kickass skills have to survive this thing. That's the movie I wanted to see. I got a different movie with some Predator(s) elements sprinkled in it instead. Despite the negative reviews, I still went out of respect for the franchise but I was fully disappointed and only slightly entertained. Even in fantasy, I need some things to make sense or my brain disconnects and that is what happened here. 

Sgj2ZjO.jpg

New Predator Lore Spoiler Con Summary:

The new ideas were laughable at best. For starters, the child wasn't superior compared to the Predator species, he was superior to other humans because he could work the alien technology, so making the Predator want his DNA because he was next-level "human" smart is hilarious and does not make sense. Secondly, the entire idea that the Predators want the best human DNA to mix with their own before they move to Earth after climate change has wiped out humans is absurd on so many levels. Autism being presented as the next level of human evolution is admirable except the way it's presented here was just sloppy. Now had they hinted that the kid was so genius that he was working on solving climate change in his bedroom and is why the Predators not just wanted his DNA to make themselves smarter but also wanted him dead since the kid was going to ruin their plan of inheriting the runaway-greenhouse earth, THAT would have made more sense. Imagine that in the movie. That is how I would have fixed that narrative. "But where do we fit a scene of the boy solving climate change?" Well I would have rather seen that scene than the "She's so pushy" stupid scene that goes on forever. I like expanded lore but when it is done properly and not botched like it was in The Predator.

Here are two YT spoiler reviews that sum up everything I felt. Don't worry...I spoiled the film before I watched it and it took nothing away from how bad it really was for me:

(the rant for above vid starts at 6:00) (the vid below is a more detailed walkthrough of the movie, it's great)

Edited by Con

I watched the new Jurassic World movie. While I like all of the Jurassic Park/World films this one IMO is the best one since the 1st one. The last world movie was ok but kinda sucked so my hopes weren't high for this, but it worked out.

Watched Goodfellas again also, great movie

• Like 1

Documentary on netflix. Incredible to see the lengths artists will go to in the pursuit of art. Fascinating watch 

• Like 1

Twin Town (1997)

nyKZOHV.jpg

The Awesome: A cult classic!!! This film is hilarious in so many ways. Great little story. The performances were brilliant, brilliant! Everyone does a great job and Keith Allen as Emrys almost steals the film and he is on screen for just a few minutes ---the acting was so top notch that at times I felt that I was watching real people and not actors.The setting of the movie gives it such an authentic feel. The cinematography is fantastic as every scene is framed with attention and every scene tells it's own story. Take the scene where we meet the twins family...the scene starts out with an uptempo beat as we see the outside of their home, but we also hear what sounds like choir singing and piano, so I thought the combination of the music was like an experiment by the filmmakers, but it turns out that it's the electric keyboard the mom is playing, LMAO, except I'm not sure if it's broken and they cannot turn off the preset beats that come installed in them so they just sing and play choir music over it. I just found that so funny and enjoyed my brain trying to sort out what it was hearing at the same time that my eyes are taking in the scene imagery. The dialogue is hilarious throughout the entire movie and never feels forced. I loved the foreshadowing and the contradictions as you are led to believe one thing and then are shown the truth and many times those reveals are hilarious. Like when we find out what actually goes down at the Executive Spa after hearing about it from the beginning I believed it was one thing but turns out to be another. I love things in movies like this: So we meet Terry (Dougray Scott) ...now we know he is unhinged and dangerously ambitious, proof of that is his desire to become the "Scarface" of Swansea, hahahaha...his partner in crime, Greyo (Dorian Thomas) says this to him when Terry buys WAY too much product.... "This isn't fucking Miami, Terry, this is fucking Swansea, we're in the third fucking division."...HAHAHAHA.  I love the richness of that Terry character, he lives in a small city but has HUGE city Scarface dreams! (but then again, he criticizes the poetry with the same message, it's little things like this that made this movie a bit cerebral while being hilariously insane). The movie was shot on location in DC's hometown! 

NRBAA5a.jpg

The Good: I feared the accents would be hard to understand but I understood everything being said, except obviously the inside jokes about the region and other jokes, like I think they made fun of Fiat cars. The soundtrack is perfect as it almost becomes a character on it's own. The twins are so fucking outrageous and really make the story believable since their behavior is consistent. And when they have the somber moment, they were really convincing and showed a different side of them, briefly. Everytime twin Jeremy (Rhys Ifans) came on screen I would say to myself, I know that face, and sure enough today I confirmed that he also played "Adrian" in Adam Sandler's Little Nicky.  I really enjoyed the unexpected dark tone it takes in the last act but it all makes sense considering all these personality types and their motivations. I enjoyed the twists throughout the film and the unexpected was always funny or poignant. I really love movies where you put big city crime in a small city setting, which instantly boosts the risk of being caught or seen. There are so many thematic elements in this movie but one that I liked the most was the comparison of the crimes and how some people manage to hide them because of their societal status. The movie is funny and very well written, it really had me caring and liking all the characters. The ending is brilliant and I really appreciated how it's presented and how it all comes together. 

zNuek55.jpg

The Bad: You may not want to watch this with minors around since there are some explicit simulated sex scenes, not many, but they come unexpectedly so you won't have time to always prepare for them. This isn't bad on the movie's behalf and more on my fault, but I'm sure some jokes went over my head, but again, that is not the filmmaker's fault. 

BnPRd82.jpg

The Ugly: This isn't mandatory crew viewing.

gz0lQcB.jpg

Final Verdict....5/5....Honestly, I had no idea what to expect going into this but I was intrigued by DC's fave movie clip post and after learning that it was shot in his neck of the woods........I just had to watch it out of curiosity and I'm so glad I did because I laughed so hard and really had a blast giving up on guessing what was  going to happen next which i normally do when I'm watching a movie. So there is a character that suddenly wants to be Scarface and he behaves in such an unrealistic manner for someone who should probably be trying to fly low on the radar,  but then it's revealed why he has no care in the world and it's brilliant---- it's little things like that which are sprinkled throughout the film that really has me liking it so much and maybe i'm just looking too much into it but I found so many underlying themes that made it more than just some dark comedy set in an interesting place. The acting really is superb. The direction is stylish without losing it's hometown charm. The story is both funny and dark. From a wannabe Scarface to an aspiring full-time Karaoke professional, there is so much to laugh at that I can't wait to rewatch it since in this first viewing I focused hardest on dialogue as not to miss anything, so I will probably see and hear things I missed the first time. A sequel was in the works but it has encountered legal issues and can no longer be considered a sequel but a companion piece. I believe production will resume in 2019.  Either way, sign me up, I'll be buying a ticket to it for sure.

Jkw0vyP.jpg?1

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I had my name down for extras in the sequel/companion, but haven't heard anything yet.

• Like 1