StressEater

Rate the Last Film you Watched

Seen a couple of decent films recently. 

First one was Ready Player One. 

Its an excellent original film, set in the future where VR gaming has actually become mainstream. People actually live their lives in the virtual world and only spending time in the real world to sleep and eat. 

Its packed full of pop culture referencess. Visually very impressive and a great Willy Wonka esque story. Spielberg doing the business again.

The other film Ive seen I wasn’t sure about just from the quick teaser trailer I saw. 

Isle of Dogs is absolutely packed full of famous voices. You have to check out the cast list. 

The film itself is an animated feature set in Japans future where dogs have to live on their own island. 

Its as surreal as it sounds and it’s a very unique animation style. If you love films that are different to the mainstream blockbuster you’ll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

m2y0VEW.jpg

The Awesome: One of my favorite shows is called The Coroner on ID Network so naturally the setting of this film is awesome. I mean, morgues are already creepy af but throw in a medically mysterious corpse and Bam! Enjoyed the autopsy parts, as I was glued to what they would find in the body next. Really liked the story concept as simple as it is, I never had seen a film take this material and turn it into a mystery in such a setting. Loved that the father & son ignore the strange occurrences because being morticians they deal with science and reality, so naturally a logical reason for sounds and weird shit would not unsettle them at the start.    Usually something during the reveal of stories like this is ruined because of sloppy story telling but that does not happen here. The reveal actually made me want more and more because the corpses origins can be based on real life stuff, the explanation of the body and it's origins was excellent and it made me want to know more about what people really did with things they could not get rid of and how....

these "cursed" corpses to be would be handled through passage of time from one society to the next, superb shit!!

zhGiXyP.jpg

The Good: The acting was superb. The two male leads, father and son morticians, do a brilliant job and you instantly buy into their relationship thanks to their amazing chemistry which naturally makes you CARE for both of them. The special effects are done real well and only a few times i found myself saying, oh that looks like a prop from the show Face/Off on Syfy. The sound design and atmosphere really ratchet up the tension to an already visually tense situation. The shots of the corpses eyes as they cut into the body were really haunting and was brilliantly used as you feel like either the corpse is going to speak, blink, or  move  but the genius is how the filmmaker made it look like the corpse is speaking to the men in those scenes. The corpse wants her secrets to be found....or does it? The scares are pretty good as there are not many jump scares but they aren't needed as being around all the cadavers and Jane Doe already make you feel like any scene is going to spook you. The clues we are given are terrific as they paint an amazing picture of who Jane Doe is and why she is there. The score is also superb as it doesn't dictate what you should be feeling.

vVa9omx.jpg

The Bad: Some people consider autopsies real life horror so they will skip this and miss out on a fun ride. The last act gets a bit generic in places but its still effective enough to tie everything up nicely. Starts a bit slow but only for the first 30 mins because once it gets going...holy fuck.

I like some realism in films with supernatural elements like this one and always enjoy them more when things are rooted in the real world and most of the film is, except for the scene where the son's gf is axed to death, I mean, I get that her being there was possible, as I kept saying to the son, "you gonna miss meeting your gf and she gonna be pissed"....then she arrives and this is why it bothers me,  1) I hate when characters arrive to look for others and never speak out loud. I mean, she obviously was tired of waiting for him as he clearly forgot from being so caught up with Jane Doe, so you would think she would have entered the morgue calling for her bf. 2) They emphasize the storm of the century outside, yet the gf has no problem getting there and then proceeds to go inside unannounced. 3) A quick scene showing the gf falling outside and knocking herself out and hours later entering the morgue disoriented would have been a much better way to have presented that crucial scene and one last thing about that scene, they just leave her body there on the ground, my gf gets accidentally killed, I'm probably stopping everything and doing the best to get her to a hospital even if there is no hope and i understand the complications at that point but at least try and get her out of there. 

D0rpANw.jpg

The Ugly: The brilliant first half is almost ruined by the second half when some familiar concepts are introduced and while they don't ruin the film, I'm calling it ugly because the lead up is so well crafted and unexpectedly cool that when the familiar arrives it let me down just a little. But that's it, just one real negative and only because this could have been a genre-masterpiece....yeah I said it.

6EFNvb6.png?1

Final Verdict....4/5.... I think if they kept the same pace and went in a different direction in the final act, this could have been a masterpiece. But gets muddled by what I can only guess was studio involvement with making sure the film fits that specific genre and tropes that come with it. Still a solid film that keeps you on edge thanks to the setting, keeps you caring because the main characters are believable, keeps you glued because you want to know more about Jane Doe. Part solid mystery and part horror really have me ready to re-watch it to see the things I might have missed the first time. So if you like medical examiner scenario with some mystery, some gore (not over the top or presented in a gross way) and some horror, please watch this movie!!

Edited by Con

Avengers Infinity War.

Even spoiler tags would be a spoiler.

I can't really rate this until more people see it. I think it is worth paying money to see. I think if you like these movies you should do it sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

Avengers Infinity War.

I can't really rate this until more people see it. I think it is worth paying money to see. I think if you like these movies you should do it sooner rather than later.

Completely agree. 

Can't speak about this movie at the moment. Definitely worth paying to see it and it is very rewarding after 10 years of Marvel movies. 

On 26/04/2018 at 2:54 AM, The_Lady_A said:

Avengers Infinity War.

Agree with this. Anyone even with a passing interest in Marvel films should watch it. Go online and book a ticket now. Yes right now! 

On 26/04/2018 at 9:16 AM, Fido_le_muet said:

Completely agree. 

Can't speak about this movie at the moment. Definitely worth paying to see it and it is very rewarding after 10 years of Marvel movies. 

I was getting a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of marvel films but this one certainly rewarded 10 years of plot building. 

On 26/04/2018 at 12:09 PM, LimeGreenLegend said:

Just read the plot/spoilers for Infinity War, sounds cool can't wait to see it.

You crazy! 

@Fido_le_muet one question about the comics, I know you said the film followed the comics very closely, do they go beyond the storyline of the film and into the next? I’m think of picking up the comics but I don’t want to see spoilers for whatever comes after infinity war. 

I think you'll be safe. It was the 90s and completely over the top ^^ 

In the comics, Thanos snaps his fingers and erase half of the universe, just like in the movie. But in the comics there is Adam Warlock, the most powerful being in the universe and it's him who takes the gauntlet and put things back to normal. Then they leave Thanos be and he becomes a sad farmer lol (that's kinda in the movie).

Perhaps they will replace Warlock with Captain Marvel but I doubt Thanos lives at the end of Avengers 4

@Squirrel just don't want to go to the cinema and there's no good copy to 'borrow' from the internet yet, so I read it instead. 

12 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Squirrel just don't want to go to the cinema and there's no good copy to 'borrow' from the internet yet, so I read it instead. 

This is one of those films that deserves a big screen viewing. I saw it on imax and it blew me away. I’m planning on going again soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

This is one of those films that deserves a big screen viewing. I saw it on imax and it blew me away. I’m planning on going again soon. 

I got a pretty big TV :P

If I could afford to buy out the whole cinema I would go.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I got a pretty big TV :P

If I could afford to buy out the whole cinema I would go.

You don’t have to watch every film naked. Put some clothes on and get out there 😂

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

+1 It absolutey needs to be seen on the big screen ! 

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Thanks 1

@Fido_le_muet @The_Lady_A Has it been long enough since the opening of Infinity War? Can we talk about it yet? Spoilers are all over the internet now so I don’t think we’d be ruining anything at this point. 

• Like 1

I think it should be in a new topic labled SPOILERS in the title in bold... it has only been out a week after all!

Edited by The_Lady_A
  • Like 1

Agreed with Aella. I'm all for it but on a dedicated thread with a big spoiler in the title :D

4 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

I think it should be in a new topic labled SPOILERS in the title in bold... it has only been out a week after all!

31 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Agreed with Aella. I'm all for it but on a dedicated thread with a big spoiler in the title :D

Discuss away:

http://www.domesticbatterygaming.com/topic/16704-marvel-cinematic-universe-spoilers/

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

Hereditary (2018)

Dz5nIMD.jpg

The Awesome: Intensely creepy but not a gorefest. It is more haunting than it is scary. There was a scene where I had to look away at what was looking at me because it was very similar to stuff I have seen in past dreams that have left me fully disturbed upon waking up.

The acting is really, really, really tremendous. These actors all brought their top skills. Toni Collette is fantastic in everything and here she really should get a nomination somewhere for this, she does amazing. The hype about Toni still trying to shake off the role were confirmed after watching her. 

The film begins creepy and it's not just the setting, it's that you instantly sense different things bubbling under each family member and that makes the film great because I cannot remember the last time a  film made it more unnerving when the main characters are on the screen doing mundane things, because you can't help but anticipate what is coming, I thought the story-telling was masterful in that sense. 

That stroke in cinematography elevates this from other films in the genre. One scene in particular is revealed through audio only and holy fucking shit. I knew it was coming but leaving the actual visual to my imagination was masterful by the Director. I've watched countless films like this but never had my brain been as engaged as this had me. 

Filled with a handful of moments that left me a bit speechless. The film made me feel like I was watching something truly evil and sinister. 

1Ujxa6E.jpg

The Good: Sound design was great as nothing was overdone which usually plagues films like this. Doesn't rely on jump scares at all. Yes, there are a few creepy ones as expected, but the lack of cheap scares actually kept me more on edge throughout the entire film. I think limiting the gore and the timing of the gore was done masterfully. Using the miniatures to frame scenes was very cool and also creepy by default. The end was an unexpected surprise and it made me wish the film had cut some early stuff to show more of what happens next, but it did give me something to chew on while i got home.

2J3xxHF.jpg

The Bad: The 2nd Act enters into some cliche-land and thankfully Toni Collette's performance and the way those scenes are executed don't ultimately hurt the film.  There is an ominous tone that plays constantly at times and it got kind of annoying but it tapers off as the film moves forward. The exposition in the 3rd Act is a bit rushed and felt a bit like cut & paste job. 

4YX885x.jpg

The Ugly: People will dislike it's pace early on because it's a slow burn being a family drama at its central core. Calling it this generation's "The Exorcist" is not fair, although this film is superb, The Exorcist is in a class of it's own. The themes in this film that do not deal with the supernatural are brutally real and may not be for everyone. If you miss this at the cinema, you probably won't replicate the same experience at home so go to the movies if you like how movies like The Exorcist and The Omen leave you feeling afterwards for days. 

TLZBZka.jpg?1

Final Verdict.....5/5.....Incredible story-telling through visuals, acting, editing and sound. The slowburn worked for me and I became immersed fully. More haunting than scary but filled with creepy imagery and I enjoyed using my imagination in some of the more intense moments. If you enjoyed The Witch, you have to go watch this. This is top notch filmmaking even if you don't appreciate the genre. I was entertained the entire 2 hours and want to learn more about the film and it's creative process and is why it gets 5 stars. 

Edited by Con