pete_95973

General tips/tricks/suggestions/warnings/questions for RDR2O

Share here what you have learned.  Share race tips, combat tips, moneymaking tips, cool places you have discovered on the map, or mistakes you have made to save others a headache...whatever it may be. Also, do you have a question for the crew or need advice, leave it here!  I think we should have a central general thread like this.

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 1

Don't buy stuff using the catalog and then leave the session you are in before grabbing your stuff from the lockbox, they will disappear. I joined a free roam event and came back to nothing in my lockbox :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Banketelli I just your shout about weapons and I wanted to ask you some questions and thought I would move it here.

What weapons are you getting first, what order etc?  I am still trying to figure out the best for the combat modes.  I have been using my carbine for anything but close distance where then transfer to pump shotgun.  Are you using the pistols/revolvers at all?  At what point?  On reddit someone was saying the varmit rifle was secretly useful because although the caliber and damage is less it is easier to get head shots with it.

What are you trying to save up for next?  You said you bought the Bolt?  What comes after that?  Will you prioritize modifications first or another weapon?  Is it true that you can put a scope on it and snipe?

Lets have a weapons tutorial here LOL.  You are one of the best at combat in GTA and seem to know what you are doing here so I that is why I put you on the spot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

@Banketelli I just your shout about weapons and I wanted to ask you some questions and thought I would move it here.

What weapons are you getting first, what order etc?  I am still trying to figure out the best for the combat modes.  I have been using my carbine for anything but close distance where then transfer to pump shotgun.  Are you using the pistols/revolvers at all?  At what point?  On reddit someone was saying the varmit rifle was secretly useful because although the caliber and damage is less it is easier to get head shots with it.

What are you trying to save up for next?  You said you bought the Bolt?  What comes after that?  Will you prioritize modifications first or another weapon?  Is it true that you can put a scope on it and snipe?

Lets have a weapons tutorial here LOL.  You are one of the best at combat in GTA and seem to know what you are doing here so I that is why I put you on the spot.

The Bolt was an easy buy. The price is decent, it's the best rifle (not counting the snipers) and you gotta get something better than the Carbine for medium-long range. With a scope on it, it works fine as a sniper as well. Skipping the Rolling Block and will grab the Carcano when level 50.

The Pump shotgun will do for now, just upgraded it, will skip the Semi-auto and get the Repeating shotgun once I hit level 42.

Not really using sidearms. Rather stick with the rifle or switch to the shotgun. But that might change once I get a hold of the Semi-auto pistol. Unlocks in a few levels so that will probably be the next thing I save up for. Might have to look a bit closer but going of the in-game catalog, it looks better than the Mauser which also first unlocks at level 34. The Mauser is only best in damage, range is the same while fire rate, reload and accuracy all favors the Semi-auto. 

Have upgraded the Bolt and the Pump. Once I get the pistol, I'll upgrade that as well and then save up for the Repeating+upgrades and then the Carcano.

Haven't heard about the headshots with the bunny rifle. Will have to check it out. When I have used it in combat it has been accidents where I have mistaking it for the shotgun so have just firing quick shots at the body. Not very effective.😅

Oh, also got the bow. Mandatory.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Thanks 2

TIP: If you use the hand-held catalog to order a weapon, it gets automatically delivered to your horse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Varment rifle can be very powerful if you have the headshot mechanics down, so probably more useful against AI so far I would have thought. But the combination of high capacity with low recoil is definitely a better early game option for long range combat, at least until the bolt action rifle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How concerned should I be about the post-beta stat reset rumors, does anyone have experience with this and is it that big of a deal?

1 hour ago, Con said:

How concerned should I be about the post-beta stat reset rumors, does anyone have experience with this and is it that big of a deal?

It's not a rumour, it was an official warning/caution from R* and they said if it happens, it happens DURING the beta, not after. Overall I'd say you shouldn't be too worried, just worth keeping in mind not to sink too much time and effort into the game while it's in BETA, 'cause there's always a small chance that a reset could happen. However, the reset will only happen if something goes catastrophically wrong, so it's much more likely that a reset will never happen.

Personally I'm taking it quite slow during the beta, partly because of the potential progress/stat wipe, but mainly because the Online game is far from complete as is and most of the stuff that I expect was meant to be in the game hasn't been added yet, so it can't keep me interested enough in this state to play too much.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

The in-game economy is catastrophically wrong. I'm kinda hoping it's corrected and reset. If not, hunting endlessly won't possibly hold my attention very long. 

Found a free saddle in the stables today, under special saddles, called the alligator ranch something or other. Gives better stats on horse core drain rates and regen too. 😁

• Like 3

I don't understand how the ability cards work.  I was thinking of getting another one but i cannot even confirm my first one works. Or I am not using it properly. I have the one for dead eye health regeneration.  Earlier I tested it.  I checked my health which was low but I ate some tobacco which gave me full dead eye.  I utilized dead eye for a good 15 seconds while not being attacked and my health did not change one bit.  Can anyone confirm that this works for them and how they use it?

@pete_95973 I picked the paint it black card. It allows you to paint targets using deadeye, and works. It does however work like deadeye in the earlier chapters of story mode. Whatever target you pass over gets painted.

1 minute ago, Jjss924 said:

@pete_95973 I picked the paint it black card. It allows you to paint targets using deadeye, and works. It does however work like deadeye in the earlier chapters of story mode. Whatever target you pass over gets painted.

Yeah I wish I did.  I seem stuck with this useless (or bugged?) card.

53 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

I don't understand how the ability cards work.  I was thinking of getting another one but i cannot even confirm my first one works. Or I am not using it properly. I have the one for dead eye health regeneration.  Earlier I tested it.  I checked my health which was low but I ate some tobacco which gave me full dead eye.  I utilized dead eye for a good 15 seconds while not being attacked and my health did not change one bit.  Can anyone confirm that this works for them and how they use it?

I bought that one and ultimately ended up replacing it with the dead eye one. I found it did slightly boost health regen while I wasn't taking damage, but not enough to really justify it. 

Edit: you can buy the other cards in that menu, I think they were $50.

Edited by The_Lady_A

1 minute ago, The_Lady_A said:

I bought that one and ultimately ended up replacing it with the dead eye one. I found it did slightly boost health regen while I wasn't taking damage, but not enough to really justify it. 

Edit: you can buy the other cards in that menu, I think they were $50.

How do you replace or change it?  Do I have to pay?  Or can I change my free one?  Is that what you did?

• Like 1

Open the weapon wheel and there is a button to go into the Abilities screen. From there you can manage the cards you have active, and buy new ones.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The_Lady_A said:

Open the weapon wheel and there is a button to go into the Abilities screen. From there you can manage the cards you have active, and buy new ones.

I can unequip my card but can’t equip another without paying. So I guess you’re stuck with what you chose unless you pay. 

6 hours ago, pete_95973 said:

I can unequip my card but can’t equip another without paying. So I guess you’re stuck with what you chose unless you pay. 

Unfortunately yes. I picked the one that gives a little damage boost to the whole team which is kinda hard to confirm is working properly. 

It's the passive cards where it gets interesting. Waiting for the better cards to be unlocked before I spend too much money on it.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

I got my 3rd card yesterday.

Deal a little more damage while stamina is at 75% or more.

My stamina is always above that, so I'll keep it and upgrade over time.

18 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I got my 3rd card yesterday.

Deal a little more damage while stamina is at 75% or more.

My stamina is always above that, so I'll keep it and upgrade over time.

I saw that card too, but I do wonder how useful it will be really. Most weapons worth using are either a 2 shot kill to the body, or singularly useful for headshots. 

It would have to be a hell of a damage buff in it's final stage to be worthwhile, maybe making express rifle ammo a one hit kill bodyshot or something of that level. Unfortunately I expect it'll be a while before we get to find out the numbers for it.

Could be useful against players that take more damage.

It seemed more useful than the rest, at least.

• Like 1

Apparently if you pull out your knife while being lasso'd the line gets cut. Not if you're already hog-tied but just lasso'd.

• Like 2

right now it appears the meta is bolt action + pump shotgun. having purchased both i can confirm that my kill count noticeably increased when i started using them in most wanted ect. the varmint rifle is oddly also a good pvp chioice, it has a slightly faster zoom so you can potentially headshot quicker than than an opponent with a repeater or rifle..

money wise theres 2 main ways im farming right now :

1 - 

I've found this to be quite handy, pretty much what allowed me to buy most guns. this 1 is also for people who want to keep there good reputation.

the 2nd method i use is, going to valentine and killing + selling all the livestock in the pens around the town. just keep killing and skinning them and put one carcass on your horse and carry one to the butcher. theres a few pens where you will be more likely to get seen by npc's, the ones closest to the post office and in the livestock market should be avoided unless ur doing this in a group.  the downsides of this method are ;  you get negative reputation for  slaughtering livestock, if you leave the area of the livestock the animals will despawn and griefers are rampant around there.

what horses are people currently using? what horse is worth the money investment ?

• Like 1

Pump and Bolt are my two pvp weapons of choice as well. 

Good methid for the birds. I’ll have to try it. 

• Like 1

Should be a free Chestnut Arabian in the Superior section at the stable.

With a few stirrup upgrades it's quite fast, won more races than lost.

Cost $100 to get a stable slot though.

• Like 1

@zztop911 can you maybe post a video of you picking up those fish? And do it in here so it does not get lost in the shoutbox?  I went there and found them all but I could only pick up one.  There were a half dozen there that I could see but the game would not give me the pick up animation option beyond one time.  Is there a certain spot in the falls it worked best for you?

Here's where I've been catching salmon:

jkf137.jpg

Get 10 in a short space of time with river lure.

Haven't tried with bait.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Here's where I've been catching salmon:

jkf137.jpg

Get 10 in a short space of time with river lure.

Haven't tried with bait.

Also works fine with worm bait. Just have to be a bit more careful finding where the salmon are using eagle eye

Goods ordered by catalogue can stack well beyond what you can carry, and you will only take enough of the item to reach your max capacity. This is especially useful for ammunition as there is no wastage, and means you can top up on everything at once rather than just things that are closer to the quantities sold in stores. For a full load of 4-5 weapons it'll save a couple of dollars a time.

Also if looking for the treasure from a map the old fashioned way, take the opportunity to hunt and gather herbs at the same time. You have to be in eagle eye anyway and it will help break up the frustration of searching for the elusive yellow sparks.

• Like 2