Time of Event in UTC: 

Does Event Repeat: 

If Event Repeats/How Often: 

Event Host: 

Amount of Players Allowed: 

Special Rules for Event:

Description of Event: 

• Like 2

Opening a thread because @Dodge and I decided it would be a good idea to ask all you lovely people what you want. 

We all want to race the Hotring in a proper championship. Format wise we are unsure whether to run as split NA/EU events or the one event on a sunday that would (hopefully) suit everyone.

These are more fun with more people and we would be looking for about 20 for each event ideally, so let us know here what your thoughts are and we’ll do our best :) 

• Like 2

I'm in. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

I could make it some sundays, but not all. If it’s a long event spread out over time it would be cool if you could miss a few events and not be punished. Maybe your bottom three performances don’t count? Not sure how you guys do these typically as I’ve never entered a racing championship. But my concern is missing an occasional day here and there. It’s just hard to commit to something every weekend. 

• Like 1

I am in as well. Whats the thoughts behind 20 and not more? I can’t remember, did you have a limit in Pfister Supercup as well @Squirrel?

Edited by Lann

1 hour ago, Lann said:

I am in as well. Whats the thoughts behind 20 and not more? I can’t remember, did you have a limit in Pfister Supercup as well @Squirrel?

The limit I had was 30 although I noticed that lag became more of an issue with over 20 drivers. 20 regular drivers would be great though.

Sunday evening will be great for me.

I’ve got lots of discussion points and ideas  

Id like to see how the new teammate option works once that comes in. Could be an interesting dynamic.

What style of tracks are we going for? Will it be a pure oval series or will there be other options as well? 

Will it be all crew created tracks or will we use outside creations

I’m hoping that it will be full contact and slipstream throughout. Catch-up on ovals too.

What do you think of having 2/3 shorter races per meeting rather than a single long endurance race? I know a few people were frustrated at racing for 30 mins just to be taken out at the last second on an oval.

Either that or incorporating the aggregate system to keep things fair

Will it be limited to crew members only or will select non crew be invited too? I’m thinking some of the VANS boys and others we have good relationships with may be interested in it. Definitely not open to people we don’t know or race with regularly but it will help to get the numbers up.

These championships tend to start off with a lot of interest but that does wane as they go on. Any ideas to keep the interest going throughout?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

These championships tend to start off with a lot of interest but that does wane as they go on. Any ideas to keep the interest going throughout?

I wound say keeping it weekly or no longer than 2 weeks apart.

If two weeks apart, set to alter weekends with Clash of the Crews.

Edited by Lann

I'd probably be interested. @Squirrel makes some very good points for consideration.

I would much rather it be 2 or 3 shorter races than 1 long one if it's just ovals (personally I get bored very quicky on ovals) and / or not limit to just ovals.

I'm happy with select non-crew so long as it's people that race the same way we do.

The other thing is; do we know for sure what the situation is with kerb boosting on the Hotring Sabres? Is it no longer and issue at all? If so, great. But if not we need rules on kerb boosting.

Also weather. Now we have variable weather for stunt tracks is it going to be current weather? It might mean any crew creatations having to be updated. Not sure though. It seemed the other day all player made stunt tracks were locked to current weather. But that may have changed by now. Anyone know?

Edited by djw180

As for kerb boosting. slipstream and catchup negate the effects of those to a large extent. 

• Like 2

Have you guys played the new tracks? Boosting, whether it works or not, is inevitable, as cars tend to take up all the road, people have to cut or go wide, it's fine IMO.

Try not to kill this with rules, road races, idiots from other crews, a 6 month schedule or whether else. Hotringin' is supposed to be action, crashes and laughs. There's a danger of overthinking it, when we're just driving round and round.

• Like 5

I thought we were discussing another Baccar using the Hotring Sabre, not a championship of R* Hotring races?

@pete_95973 makes good points and I agree that missing a few races should not penalize you. 

Also agree with @djw180 that long oval races are boring. The last 5 laps are the interesting ones, the rest is just wasting time. 

@Davidcore is alos right that we should not put too many rules in this and focus on the fun part. 

I do also agree with most of what @squirrel said. I had a ton of fun during the SuperCup and I believe we should use it as a template for future racing events. With a few adjustments here and there to make it different of course. 

Perhaps we could have different race format depending on the weekend or track. 3 short races one weekend, one long one the next week... 

Also it would probably be best to not strehc the championship over a long period of time to keep th interest alive. Not more than 6 months. Alterned weeks with CotC is the way to go. 

As for the tracks it would be cool if it were mostly ovals, with a couple regular tracks in as well. 

• Like 1

You thought right as I didn't say that. It was a me making a point that the tracks are wide for a good reason and that you lot were overthinking driving in a circle/oval.

How many good ovals do we have for 20 cars to fit? 1 or 2. Some are too small or untidy in places with props sticking out.

The R* tracks are actually decent, my opinion.

I'll say no more. As you were :)

• Like 3

This was opened up to let everyone say their piece so i’m happy about that. 

Few things I wasn’t so clear on last night.

20 was the minimum number we thought you’d want to try and get for each race, so all the shit DC mentioned comes true and it stays interesting. That was mentioned because we were trying to see if the event should be split like Baccar was in the past.

If it was a single event on a sunday obviously we’d try and aim for the full 30 players.

As for players from other crews, would be happy with the vansters and the other regular Supercup entrants being invited.

We learned a lot from the early rounds of the Supercup about policing kerb boosting and stuff. As far as i’m concerned, provided people aren’t sticking to the kerb and weaving, i’m not too bothered.

Weather for stunt tracks is locked to current or whatever the creator locks it to (created some wet versions of a few of my tracks last night). So when using crew tracks by active members i’m sure we could switch out the fire extinguisher for an umbrella rack a few times during the event.

As for tracks and format, not really sure at this stage, I enjoyed the Baccar rotating between various settings and track styles. We’ve plenty of ovals and nobody wants to do 45 minute oval races again. So the shorter race idea isn’t a bad one. Also for all I moaned about the Supercup tracks, sure a few of them, and some other non oval races, could be used. Provided the room is there for people to actually race, I want to run the cars in different situations to keep things fresh. 

Teams are something that can be sorted further down the discussion process with regards to how we split it up. But Pete’s comment about wanting to make sure people who can’t always attend don’t fall behind is a big one. Whether we use the team format to try and help with that or something else, I want there to be something to race for for everyone, whether you’re at the front or back. 

• Like 3

You could run 3 races on the same track in one meeting. A wet race, dry and one set to current weather. Could also mix day and night to keep it interesting. 

3 shorter races is better than a single endurance race where it’s all about the final lap anyway. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crawford1872 said:

I want there to be something to race for for everyone, whether you’re at the front or back. 

Perhaps we could have some sort of divisions. Top tier racers in Division 1, the others in Division 2.

Of course that wouldn't work with catch up on and everyone would have to agree with who goes in each division.

9 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Perhaps we could have some sort of divisions. Top tier racers in Division 1, the others in Division 2.

Of course that wouldn't work with catch up on and everyone would have to agree with who goes in each division.

maybe use the sprunk buffalo for the tier 2 racers?

With ovals and simple tracks along with slipstream and catch up the field should be fairly closely matched. The races should be able to be won by anybody. It’s tactics when slipstreaming that’s more important than cornering ability. 

A single make series would work in this case plus who would want to choose the buffalo over the hotring? 

• Like 3

DC probably said it best, (whether he meant only the R* tracks or not doesn't matter IMO) it's easy to over-complicate this when it's just silly old round 'n' round contact racing and it should be one of the more laid-back fun racing championship we could possibly have. Many good points have been made about this already and here's what I'd like to see personally:

• BACCAR season consisting of about 8*2 (or *3 if enough tracks can be selected) races - 16 (or 24) in total; so 2 (or 3) custom banking and oval track races every Sunday over 8 weekends (about 2 months long or up to 4 months if you want to do it every other Sunday)
  • Track options include crew or other tested quality figures of 8, Dodge's NAMCAR tracks, other dedicated ovals like American Mile, etc. (and maybe a few of the R* ones, if there are any actually good ones to consider)
  • All ovals should have Contact, Slipstream, Catch-up ON; anything more complex than just an oval could have catch-up OFF, Contact and Slipstream ON (?); racers should also be less afraid of coming into accidental or mild contact with others, with catch-up and slipstream on on ovals it's not that difficult to catch up again and everyone should recover from a spin/crash as fast as they can to keep the racing fast & flowing; the guilty party of any deliberate or reckless crash should, if left behind the pack with the crash victim, do their best to help the victim and themselves catch up with the pack using each other's slipstream
  • If there's 2 races per Sunday, each race could last about 20-25 mins and have different weather conditions / if 3 races, 15 mins each with different weather
  • If 2 races per Sunday, 1 race could be with the usual race result, the other decided by the aggregate score mechanic / if 3 races, two would be decided normally, 1 by aggregate
  • If we need more racers we could include a few well-known VANSters (if they want), but would keep it for crew only if there are enough participants

• 14 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

4 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

maybe use the sprunk buffalo for the tier 2 racers?

You guys are trying to complicate things again. Why can't we have an actual simple fun event, considering we'll mostly be going round and round and round? If the sport itself is simple, why make everything else connected to it complicated? Just have 1 car (Hotring Sabre) and everyone in the same pot, in the same car, on the same grid in every race.

• Like 4

Yeah just the Hotring, no need to split it up. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Protocawl said:

Yes I am.... But I like the idea of seeing different cars on the track... :D Though I am happy with the hotring also... :D

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1

I think I'm the worst driver in this crew but I'm in :D.

2 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

Yeah just the Hotring, no need to split it up. 

I'd rather have it that way also.

Sunday would be good for me.

As others said, one long race is boring.

Contact, Slipstream and catchup are musts.

Maybe a road course or two thrown in for variety.

• Like 1

Definitely in! NASCAR runs at Sears Point and Watkins Glen so road courses are appropriate. They don't need to be those tracks either, I'm sure several of the Pfister Supercup tracks would work. 

This is good. Keep up the chatter. We'll get this thing off the ground yet

• Like 1

I would be down, especially on a Sunday.

Please, please, please try and keep it low key, stress free. The two seasons of this I have been in always ended up with players mad at each other due to a crash 35 minutes into a 40 minute race. So bored by the half way point that it's hard to stay focused.

A proper hot ring isn't about being cautious and courteous. That doesn't mean one should be a complete jerk to others but you get the point.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

I would be down, especially on a Sunday.

Please, please, please try and keep it low key, stress free. The two seasons of this I have been in always ended up with players mad at each other due to a crash 35 minutes into a 40 minute race. So bored by the half way point that it's hard to stay focused.

A proper hot ring isn't about being cautious and courteous. That doesn't mean one should be a complete jerk to others but you get the point.

Agreed.

Rubbings racing... If you don't like it GET OUT. No need to get pissed off.

Just remember.... "If you ain't first your last."

-Talladega Nights-

• Like 1