Potato

submission XDBX Golf Championship

So here it is; the eagerly anticipated golf championship. Golf is widely considered the worst sport in the world (by me), since the winner of golf is the person who plays the least amount of golf. No that does not mean you automatically win if you don’t enter the tournament, although it might, because you wouldn’t have to put yourself through the pain of golf.

It will likely be exactly the same format as the tennis championship depending on interest (group and knockout format). I know that you can have 4 players in a golf match but was thinking it would be better to play 1v1 since it was hard enough trying to organise a 2 player tennis match, so 4 would be an impossibility. This is not set in stone and I am open to ideas if anyone can think of anything better.

*EDIT: Rules will be as Squirrel suggested below*

• Matches will be the full 9 holes.
  • Everyone plays 3 rounds over 3 weeks (Preliminaries).
  • After week 3 the competitors with the worst scores will be eliminated and the top 8 will play another round.
  • After the 4th round everyone but the top 4 will be eliminated and the top 4 people will all play together in the final.
  • To make things interesting, before the final all scores will be wiped, so it will basically be a 9 hole shootout.
  • During the preliminaries you can play your rounds whenever you like, but you must have at least 2 players on the course.
  • Please take note of your score. Par for the course is 36 iirc.

If you want to practice feel free to do it on your own, or with others before the tournament begins. But once the tourney starts, no 'practice rounds' with other people.

If you are interested in taking part, please comment on the thread.

Scoreboard:

Pos. Name Score RP
Q Potato -11 4
Q DJ -6 4
Q Ally -6 4
Q Proto +8 4
5 Chubb +8 4
6 Squirrel +13 4
7 Spinn +22 3

Edited by Potato
  • Like 4

Count me in. Ass-hole in one! I can manage that! 

An alternative method is the same way actual golf tournaments are held. Instead of head to head matches everyone plays 3 rounds and the totals for each round are added up. The top group of players will then play some more rounds and eliminate some more players until you have a top group of 4. These can then be run as a semi final and final as normal. 

The beauty of this method is that it’s very easy to get the preliminary phases done. You can have any number of players as you can decide how many progress to the next stage. 

As long as you complete the rounds with at least one more player they can count towards the total. It won’t matter if there’s 2, 3 or 4 of you playing your rounds at once. It will be easy to find someone to play with in your own time zone. 

• Like 2

I am also in. I love Golf.

And, by the way, Golf is not abouth the actual playing, its about the stress free enviroment and the joy of being leisurely strolling in the fields and just trying to get that stupid bugger in the tiny hole...

Some of my best friendships were done while golfing. And I suck at golf, by the way... I am a triple boggey guy!!! :D

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

And, by the way, Golf is not abouth the actual playing, its about the stress free enviroment and the joy of being leisurely strolling in the fields and just trying to get that stupid bugger in the tiny hole...

Some of my best friendships were done while golfing. And I suck at golf, by the way... I am a triple boggey guy!!! :D

I don't golf IRL and haven't been to mini-golf in years...but I'm in for this cause Crew, man. Plus tennis was fun af with this group! 

1 hour ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Spot on, some take it way too seriously, don't get me wrong play by the rules but have fun.

Golf is great fun until you reach a decent standard, once you have set the bar you are not happy unless you match or beat yourself. From this point IMO the game slowly becomes less and less enjoyable.

I am not great at the game but I used to enjoy it and play a lot more when just getting the ball in the air for 100 yards was an achievement. :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Spot on, some take it way too seriously, don't get me wrong play by the rules but have fun.

Golf is great fun until you reach a decent standard, once you have set the bar you are not happy unless you match or beat yourself. From this point IMO the game slowly becomes less and less enjoyable.

I am not great at the game but I used to enjoy it and play a lot more when just getting the ball in the air for 100 yards was an achievement. :lol:

Had me doing math there.... :D

I can do that... rarely, but I can!!! :smiley-angry032::D

• Haha 1

Sorry about the abandonment of this tourney. I never forgot about it, we'll put it back on after the darts tourney finishes. All replies above this one I shall class as void (considering it was 4 months ago) so if you're down for this, or have any questions or suggestions, feel free to have your say :D

• Like 1

i'm still in.

• Like 1

Yeah I should be able to. Will be easy to arrange the preliminary rounds with people in the same time zone 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Yeah I should be able to. Will be easy to arrange the preliminary rounds with people in the same time zone 

I will work around your schedule. If i have to be up at 4am, I will stay up.

giphy.gif

@D-Rocks09 you no golf, bro?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Con said:

I will work around your schedule. If i have to be up at 4am, I will stay up.

giphy.gif

@D-Rocks09 you no golf, bro?

I’ll play but I get bash you in the back of the head with my nine iron. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, D-Rocks09 said:

I’ll play but I get bash you in the back of the head with my nine iron. 

I'd do anything for a medical cannabis card. :D 

• Haha 1

@Con @PretendWereDead @JustHatched @Protocawl @Crawford1872 @The_Lady_A @Squirrel @Spinnaker1981 @djw180 @JuniorChubb @D-Rocks09

Preliminaries start now, you have until 19:00 UTC on Sunday 29th April to post your 3 scores. Remember at least 2 players needed per match. Was thinking of doing a round at 7pm utc tonight if anyone else wants in?

• Like 3

How long will a round take? I should be on at that time before the hotring racing 

2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

How long will a round take? I should be on at that time before the hotring racing 

Can take up to an hour. We can play after the hotring races if that’s better

• Like 1