Protocawl

Must-See Documentaries

Protocawl

Most of the documentaries I'll be posting here are ones I feel basically every human being in the present day and age should see (especially the first one: HUMAN).

If you were to ever only watch a handful of documentaries, then (some of) these should probably be on that list (will be adding more in the near future). If you were to ever only watch one documentary (series), it should definitely be "HUMAN".

If you haven't seen any of these documentaries, then I highly recommend watching them.

Some of these documentary films will be entirely available to watch here, others will have to be found elsewhere.

Feel free to post any other documentaries that you think would fall into the "must-see" category as well!

HUMAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWrdnbOEOQ&list=PLEgA6bEeal3yh19xRhfVt5q5xBohcPYz7

[turn on the Closed Captions (CC) at the bottom right of the videos where possible to see where everything was filmed and who are talking]

+ more here: https://www.youtube.com/user/HUMANthemovie2015/videos

All Governments Lie: Truth, Deception and the Spirit of I.F.Stone

Third World Billionaires (Superrig i slummen)

https://www.drsales.dk/programmes/billionaires-third-world/

The Green Lie (Die grüne Lüge)

https://youtu.be/Kon48ssPfCU

8 Days: To the Moon and Back

https://www.pbs.org/video/8-days-to-the-moon-and-back-bnqvna/

Ozone Hole: How We Saved The Planet

https://www.pbs.org/video/ozone-hole-how-we-saved-the-planet-ttwe2l/

Active Measures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU4XuXLQpE

+ more coming soon...

(I'm not 100% sure if this thread is in the right place in the "Arts and Entertainment" sub-forum, so if anyone feels like it might not be, let me know.)

• Like 3

Protocawl.png

LimeGreenLegend

The greatest documentary ever made (in mine, and many other people’s opinion) is the 9 hour holocaust film Shoah by Claude Lanzmann.

If you want something a bit more light hearted and a lot shorter, then you can’t go wrong with Anvil: The Story of Anvil.

• Like 3

LimeGreenLegend.png

Burgermauger

Ever wondered what really happened to Kurt Cobain ??

• Like 1

Con

Black Tar Heroin: The Dark End of the Street (2000)

I found this Soul-wrenching and heartbreaking and tremendously obscene and hard-hitting as a documentary could be about the pitfalls of heroin use. The toughest part was listening to stuff like---- [“I tell them that I don’t do anything anal,” says Oreo, 19, who hustles men but goes home to an emotionally needy junkie girlfriend. “I have too much of conscience to rob innocent people,” says Jack, 21, who says “pulling a date” is the only thing he’s good at.] But worse was addicts that got hooked because they tried heroin because they were "BORED"!!! What the fuck!!!! 

-----------------------------

Awesome doc about the original ladies of wrestling. The show was around just as I was hitting puberty, thats all you need to know why I tuned in every weekend. You can read my original review above. 

-----------------

This is a new doc and if you 'love' water and love to get lost in its motion and power, you have to watch this. Its cathartic, relaxing, and also thrilling. I wrote a short review in the Rate The Last Film... thread as I loved every minute of this narration free doc. Watch it cause the film crew risked their lives to get us the footage. 

---------

I'm not the biggest music guy but did watch this and was amazed at how ridiculously obsolete you can be in one place and yet be a king in another. This is a tremendous documentary about a humble and mysterious artist that should have become an American Treasure. 

--------------

Didn't know what to expect when I watched this but must say I recommend it to people with open minds. No its not a recruiting tool from Satan or anything silly like that, its a doc that exemplifies the hypocrisy of religious based legislation and how beautiful it is to live in a country where all religions are expected to be respected and tolerated. If you are an atheists, this is a must watch, IMO, cause its just fun. 

......more to come later. I am a documentary fiend!!

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Con

The new GTA Arcades reminded me of this one. I saw it the year it was released and now it takes on a whole new meaning since we know Billy was a cheater the whole time. So if you were around during the arcades or are too young to remember them, watch this documentary to get a feel as to how huge the video game scene really was.

-----------

Don't think I need to add anything else here. This is probably my all-time favorite documentary. 

-------------

Another superb documentary that digs deep into the Alien origin. 

--------------

Simply amazing documentary about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe universe. Another must watch if you are still a fan or just remember the cartoon and toys because you will learn EVERYTHING from how the toys were created before they even had a character developed, how Conan the Barbarian inspired and influenced the creation and how She-Ra got her spin-off show and why it failed and how it became the beginning of the end. 

Edited by Con

Con

Tremendous documentary about the life of a soccer star who honestly became a Legend, Savoir, God, Villain, and Drug addict all in one lifetime. Now at the time of his peak stardom, I was not watching or following the sport at all, I do remember seeing Argentina and him winning world cups but I didn't know about his career with Napoli, the Italian League soccer team. That facet is amazing and just that alone is worth the watch. But there is so much more to see with the tons of never before seen footage utilized to craft this fantastic documentary. As someone who had no opinion of the man, I was enthralled by what he did for Naples through the sport. It's nothing short of amazing. What a life...a living legend despite his human failings.

Con

Although some of the effects are outdated, it is still one of my top 10 films of all time because of story and resolution. Watching this as a young boy really traumatized me and not so much cause of the zombies but the resolution, even at that young age, I understood how scary real life could be. The Return of the Living Dead...the first film to truly put the fear of zombies in my head and I appreciate it for that after all these years. 

SINISTER120
Posted (edited)

I recommend watching Impact After the Crash. 

It is about the Carrollton Bus Crash that happened on May 14th 1988 near Carrolton, KY. It is still the worst DUI accident to ever happen in the USA. Of the 67 passengers, 27 died and 34 were wounded. Many DUI laws and school bus safety standards exist because of this night.

The movie/accident is rough for me  because the bus left my home county filled with children from my school system. Some of them still live in my hometown back in KY and my wife is friends with one of them as well. She forgives the man responsible but I think he should have been sent to prison for life.

The son of one of the adult victims later lost his life due to a drunk driver.

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 1

Con

If you love Galaxy Quest, you are in for a treat.