LimeGreenLegend

Gremlins [XDBX Film Club 12]

LimeGreenLegend

It's December, so of course we'll be watching a Christmas movie for this month's film club.  The winning film was nominated by @Spinnaker1981, 1984's Gremlins.  Directed by Joe Dante (The Howling, Innerspace, Small Soldiers) and written by Chris Columbus (writer of The Goonies, Young Sherlock Holmes and director of Home Alone and the first two Harry Potter films), Gremlins stars Zach Galligan as Billy Peltzer, a teenager who receives a strange, but cute, new pet for Christmas.  

3bm5ind.jpg

As long as he follows the three rules for looking after them, don't get them wet, don't expose them to light, and don't feed them after midnight, then everything will be fine.  He doesn't follow the rules.  Although it is set at Christmas, the film was released in the summer, and was a huge hit, making over $150 million on an $11 million budget.  It's currently sitting at an 84% for film critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, with a 78% audience rating.  Despite this success, the film received a lot of criticism on release.  Despite it sitting firmly on the funnier side of its horror/comedy genre, the violence was deemed too extreme for younger children, and these complaints, along with similar complaints for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, led to the creation of the PG-13 rating by the MPAA in the US, and the 12 certificate by the BBFC in the UK.  

I haven't seen this since I was a kid, and I remember nothing about it except it freaked me out!  I can't wait to check this out and see if it holds up and, more importantly, see if it fills me with the spirit of the season :D 

Image result for gremlins poster christmas

they're watching Snow White...and they love it

• Like 2

LimeGreenLegend.png