LimeGreenLegend

Gladiator [XDBX Film Club 11]

LimeGreenLegend

This month we are celebrating the work of Sir Ridley Scott, as suggested by @djw180 and @Spinnaker1981, with the winning film being another DJ nomination, Gladiator.  Released in the year 2000 it stars Russel Crowe in an Oscar winning performance, with support from Joaquin Phoenix, Derek Jacobi, Richard Harris and the legendary Oliver Reed in his final role.  

Image result for gladiator poster japanese

Gladiator was a huge success on release, winning the Oscar for best picture, and a nomination for best director for Ridley Scott, one of three in his career (Thelma and Louise and Black Hawk Down being the other two).  It is the last great Hollywood swords and sandals epic, telling a classic tale of betrayal and revenge.  I loved this film when it came out, but haven't seen it in at least a decade, so am looking forward to revisiting this.

are you not entertained russell crowe GIF

• Like 3

LimeGreenLegend.png

Fido_le_muet

Everyone's seen it. It's great. Let's pick another theme 😁

• Haha 1

toYHMZH.png

Con
6 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Everyone's seen it. It's great. Let's pick another theme 😁

I only watched it once or twice. I’ll have fun  watching it again for the review. 

• Like 1

djw180

This is one of my favourite films and one I can never tire of watching.  I love historical films, whether based on true stories or not. This is in the latter category. Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus were emperors of Rome which secured victory over the Germans shortly before Marcus Aurelius' death. But the rest is pretty much all fiction, spectacularly good fiction. There is some similarity to the Fall of the Roman Empire and Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, both of which are based around the story of a Roman general urged to make himself emperor after defeating the Germanic tribes.

Ridley Scott is one of my favourite directors, his films always look amazing. I'm not quite sure why, I don't know much about the technical stuff, but the colour in his films always looks better than most others. The sets and costumes are amazing in this as well, definitely worthy of the awards they won. The music is hauntingly great and really adds to the atmosphere, and as for the cast, it's hard to think of a better one all round. Russell Crowe does what he does best as a caring tough guy, but it's the supporting cast that really make it special. Joaquin Phoenix is a brilliant villain, and then you have amazing performances in lesser roles from Richard Harris, Oliver Reed (who death could not quite stop from finishing the film), Derek Jacobi, David Hemmings (The Colosseum 'MC'), etc.

The opening battle is fantastic as are the various gladiatorial combat scenes. My favourite scene has to be the re-enactment of the fall of Carthage (the first Colosseum scene). It has one of the most memorable lines in cinema, “My name is ….. “ and I love Commadus' comment to Cassius that weren't the Romans supposed to win? The film maybe loses a little bit in the last third or so, but I think that's just because I realise it is going to have to end eventually.

I'm sure it will be no suprise to anyone that I give this 10/10.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

TheBoyBry

Fun fact;

When I was at University in Portsmouth there was a wanted advert in the student union bar for film extras. My friend signed up, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to miss any lectures. He went along to some woods near Farnham about 45 mins up the road. He ended up being dressed up as a Roman soldier fighting against the Germanic tribes. I think he got about £30 for it. I should have gone along! 

• Like 2

LimeGreenLegend
50 minutes ago, TheBoyBry said:

I didn’t want to miss any lectures

revenge of the nerds GIF

• Haha 3

LimeGreenLegend.png

Con
6 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

revenge of the nerds GIF

LMFAO! :D 

• Like 1