About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Action
    • Science Fiction
    • Adventure

Overview

In the year 10,191, the world is at war for control of the desert planet Dune—the only place where the time-travel substance 'Spice' can be found. But when one leader gives up control, it's only so he can stage a coup with some unsavory characters.

Trailer

Credits

• Francesca Annis
    Francesca Annis
    Lady Jessica
  • Leonardo Cimino
    Leonardo Cimino
    The Baron's Doctor
  • Brad Dourif
    Brad Dourif
    Piter De Vries
  • José Ferrer
    José Ferrer
    Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV
  • Linda Hunt
    Linda Hunt
    Shadout Mapes
  • Freddie Jones
    Freddie Jones
    Thufir Hawat
This page uses the themoviedb.org API.
LimeGreenLegend

This month's Film Club genre is sci-fi war films, nominated by @Squirrel, and that comes in the form of warring families of nobles battling for control of a desolate desert planet, and its valuable resources, in David Lynch's Dune, picked by @djw180.

4fWo9j4.jpg

A critical and commercial failure on release, with Roger Ebert naming it the worst film of 1984, Dune has gone on to garner a cult following since then, with more recent reviews being generally more positive.  Featuring an ensemble cast, including Sting, Patrick Stewart and Max von Sydow, and directed by master of the surreal, David Lynch (Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Mullholland Drive) you know that the film will at least be interesting, and possibly (probably) confusing, but in a satisfying way, as is his style.

I've not seen Dune yet, nor read the novels it's based on, so I'm looking forward to watching this, especially after reading some of the more colourful reviews, but I'm a big fan of Lynch, Lost Highway being my favourite film of his, and who doesn't love Sir Patrick Stewart?  So I'm all in.

sting dune GIF

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

LimeGreenLegend.png

zztop911

I remember the review Ebert gave this movie. My instant thought was, "Ebert. you silly old tard!"

Just looking around for some sort of copy, I've come to realize that fandom around this movie is pretty crazy with all the action figures and toys from this movie.

Found it a Barns & Noble for $4.99 with free shipping

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-dune-francesca-annis/3622365?ean=0025192018428&st=PLA&sid=BNB_[ADL] [Core] [Generic] Media (Medium)&sourceId=PLABiNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Bing_c&msclkid=afe54017f5c4107325a81d7af20610e2&adlclid=ADL-4ec3935a-0705-41da-a92c-a46fa73bb693

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 2

Welcome to the nuthouse or the slaughter house................it.just depends!

You never know what's going to happen, but rest assured, it's gonna be fun!

SINISTER120

Damn, you guys always go way out there on the movie choices. Nothing that I would ever want to watch on purpose, lol. Still that is the point of things like this. Excellent work everyone.

• Like 1

zztop911
50 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

Damn, you guys always go way out there on the movie choices. Nothing that I would ever want to watch on purpose, lol. Still that is the point of things like this. Excellent work everyone.

You've never seen Dune?

Welcome to the nuthouse or the slaughter house................it.just depends!

You never know what's going to happen, but rest assured, it's gonna be fun!

LimeGreenLegend
1 hour ago, SINISTER120 said:

That’s exactly why you should watch it!

LimeGreenLegend.png

Con
1 hour ago, SINISTER120 said:

Damn, you guys always go way out there on the movie choices. Nothing that I would ever want to watch on purpose, 

We watched Chicago, fam.  :D 

I don't mind the obscure nominations, as long as the submitter also watches and reviews it since they are making us watch it. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

SINISTER120
2 hours ago, zztop911 said:

You've never seen Dune?

Nope. Sci Fi movies have never been my thing. No Star Wars, Star Trek or anything else.

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

That’s exactly why you should watch it!

I would not make it 5 minutes, lol. 

1 hour ago, Con said:

We watched Chicago, fam.  :D 

I don't mind the obscure nominations, as long as the submitter also watches and reviews it since they are making us watch it. 

That took guts for sure.

• Haha 1

Fido_le_muet

Watched it a couple years ago and there's no way I'm rewatching it again. 

I didn't like it at all. 

First, I didn't understand the story. I found it to be buried under a ton of other stuff that were too much for me like the costumes, the unpronounceable names, the too many people, the mythos, the prophecy and such. Overall it is weird. Too weird for my taste. 

I didn't like the acting. Kyle Maclachlan's hero was unexpressive, he had the same face for the whole film. Sting's character was awful. Hated him. 

I didn't adhere to the universe and the atmosphere at all. 

• Haha 1

toYHMZH.png

Squirrel
11 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Watched it a couple years ago and there's no way I'm rewatching it again. 

I didn't like it at all. 

First, I didn't understand the story. I found it to be buried under a ton of other stuff that were too much for me like the costumes, the unpronounceable names, the too many people, the mythos, the prophecy and such. Overall it is weird. Too weird for my taste. 

I didn't like the acting. Kyle Maclachlan's hero was unexpressive, he had the same face for the whole film. Sting's character was awful. Hated him. 

I didn't adhere to the universe and the atmosphere at all. 

So Twin Peaks in space?

vwszoXH.jpg

djw180

It is definitely weird but for the most part it's fairly faithful to the Frank Herbert novel, rather than coming from the weirdness of David Lynch's own mind. I am interested to see what other people make of the basic story. I didn't see the film till a few years after it was released and had read the book at least once already. So I knew the story and it all made sense to me because of that. The first time I watched it was on TV and I do remember talking to a freind the next day who had seen it and was very confused.

I'm not going  to review it now, as obviously I am going to watch it again. But I will say a couple of things. Some of the things in the film that are not completely as described in the book, or at least were not the way I imagined them when reading it. e.g. some of the costumes, weapons and overal weirdness of some characters. So I can understand what @Fido_le_muet means by that. The main flaw for me of the film is it is too short to do justice to the novel. Frank Herbert's novel is quite long, split into 3 parts. David Lynch's script does the first and last parts very well, but the middle part is rushed and is where he introduces something not in the book at all, in order to move the story along faster.

• Like 1

Squirrel

I’ve been reading up on it and it was originally meant to be a 12 hour epic in order to do justice to the story. 

Obviously this didn’t happen but the creative team assembled for that version went on to make Alien

• Like 1

vwszoXH.jpg

djw180

For those in the UK, maybe other countries as well, Dune is on TCM (Turner Classic Movies?) this Wednesday at 11:25 pm. It's probably on at other times as well during the next couple of weeks, these sort of channels usually shows things multiple times.

• Like 1

Spinnaker1981

Perfect. We have TCM here as well. I hope the program is the same...