DavidCore89

Football (soccer)

DavidCore89

Instead of making a new thread each season, here's one we can keep going and use to talk about club and national teams.

Who's your team?

How are you looking this season?

What are your expectations?

Discuss!

⚽

• Like 4

Six-times Jump Rope world champion // Three-times Tic-Tac-Toe runner-up // Two-times Hopscotch world champion // Two-times Wheelbarrow Race world champion // One-time Marco Polo runner-up // One-time Musical Chairs European champion.

Owner of a 25-metre swimming badge.

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"  - Gilles Villeneuve.

Fido_le_muet
Posted (edited)

My home team has been relegated to 5th division because of financial issues...

I support St Etienne in Ligue 1. Don't have high hopes for this season. Would be cool if they could do a nice Europa League stint but that's it. 

Ligue 1 is pretty boring. All they do is talk about stupid Neymar. Can he get the fuck away to Spain already ? Geez 

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 3

toYHMZH.png

Protocawl

Well... I haven't followed club football properly for about 4 years now and won't get back to following it closely this season either, but will still be watching the Champions League as usual. My team has been Chelsea FC since I started following professional football and although the club has gone through very turbulent times in the past 5-7 years, there seems to be a sign of hope on the horizon. Frank Lampard is the new manager this season - the man who is a legend in my memory forever as a player, being one of the reasons why I became a Chelsea fan in the first place and remain a Chelsea fan to this day. Having been a magnificent player for the club for such a long time, he knows the value of Chelsea's academy, which has been neglected for such a long time, and is bringing the young talent into the team. All the legends are long gone and now that Eden Hazard left, too, which is a massive loss to the club, I hope Lampard is doing the right thing and can lead the club back to success and some new local legends can rise from under his hand.

Having seen a few games from August under Lampard's lead, I have reason to believe he can succeed - I saw Chelsea playing with the kind of energy and spirit that I hadn't seen since he was still playing for the club. If he can't turn things around for the club, I can't imagine anyone can, at least not for a very long time.

• Like 1

Protocawl.png

Schumi6581

FC Twente is my club.... Back in the Dutch premier League (Eredivisie) after one year first division....

Hope we can close off a period with a lot of (financial) problems.

Will also try to visit some matches this season. Love the atmosphere in our stadium.

Expectations are low (between 10th and 15th in the league) but it's looking good at the moment (4th after 5 matches).

Also like to follow other Dutch players abroad. Like Frenkie de Jong at Barcelona and Memphis Depay at Lyon...

Edited by Schumi6581

LimeGreenLegend

I'm a lapsed football fan.  Support my local team, Exeter City, but they're shit.  I used to go to quite a few home games a few years back, it was always exciting when we scored, though that didn't happen very often.  

In the Premiership I'm an Arsenal fan, ever since the days of Seaman, Adams, Platt etc, then you had players like Wright, Bergkamp, Pires, Campbell coming in in the mid 90s, great time to be a Gooner.  I couldn't tell you a single player in the team now.  

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend.png

Squirrel

Small bit of advice @DavidCore89  don’t start posting about your team being top of the league as karma usually comes back and bites you and your team ends up losing in the playoffs to Derby. 

• Haha 3

vwszoXH.jpg

DavidCore89
45 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Small bit of advice @DavidCore89  don’t start posting about your team being top of the league as karma usually comes back and bites you and your team ends up losing in the playoffs to Derby. 

Lol yeah it's early and the win we had over you was fortunate to say the least.

Championship is a long season, but I think Leeds need promotion this year to keep Bielsa. We would be happy with the play-offs for sure.

7 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

I'm a lapsed football fan.  Support my local team, Exeter City, but they're shit.  I used to go to quite a few home games a few years back, it was always exciting when we scored, though that didn't happen very often.  

In the Premiership I'm an Arsenal fan, ever since the days of Seaman, Adams, Platt etc, then you had players like Wright, Bergkamp, Pires, Campbell coming in in the mid 90s, great time to be a Gooner.  I couldn't tell you a single player in the team now.  

Exeter are going well at the moment, they've had a few decent seasons. Definitely on the rise IMO.

Arsenal had a great team back then, enjoyed watching Bergkamp, Henry and Pires in particular.

• Like 1

Six-times Jump Rope world champion // Three-times Tic-Tac-Toe runner-up // Two-times Hopscotch world champion // Two-times Wheelbarrow Race world champion // One-time Marco Polo runner-up // One-time Musical Chairs European champion.

Spinnaker1981

I am a Benfica (Sport Lisboa e Benfica) fan. 

After a Long time of lowsy football throughout the late 90’s and the 00’s, we have started to play a lot better under this president, which is already one of the best presidents we have ever had. 

With 7 league wins since he was elected in the 03/04 season, and over 120 titles throughout all disciplines (including a Futsal Champions cup and 5 international titles in Basketball), he is fast becoming the most titled president ever. 

This year we have already won the Pt Supercup, with a 5-0 over Sporting Club Portugal (Sporting Lisbon, for some), one of our biggest historical rival., and with 11 goals scored in 4 games in the league, things are looking pretty solid and the 38th national championship win might really happen this year. 

The team is young and solid, and most comes from last year (though we lost João Felix for Atl. Madrid by a record 126M€). 

I am optimistic looking forward for this year’s champions cup... 

LimeGreenLegend
2 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

Exeter are going well at the moment, they've had a few decent seasons. Definitely on the rise IMO.

Will have to watch them more closely this year, may even go to a few games.

LimeGreenLegend.png

Potato

I support Norwich. Got promoted back to the premier league after 3 years last season (if I didn't already make it clear enough).

Last seasons promotion was not meant to happen. The club were just looking for stability with an aim of reaching the premier league after 3 years. We had to make a profit of £20 million in the 2018 summer transfer window to avoid going into administration, which led to selling our 2017/18 player of the season (James Maddison to Leciester).

We got promoted because of some amazing free transfers and youth. Had almost no experience of the championship.

This season isn't looking good. We have 4 centre backs and 3 of them are injured. With a fully fit squad I think we are capable of surviving in the premier league, but the defence is terrible (already conceded 10 goals in 4 games, and play man city next lol).

Only spent £1.1 million in this summer's transfer window, so we know that relegation is likely, but most fans don't care since the clubs main objective is to achieve financial stability, which could lead to us being a more established premier league club in future, and also because we've been promoted or relegated 7 times in the last 11 seasons.

• Like 1

Schumi6581
On 9/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, Spinnaker1981 said:

I am a Benfica (Sport Lisboa e Benfica) fan. 

After a Long time of lowsy football throughout the late 90’s and the 00’s, we have started to play a lot better under this president, which is already one of the best presidents we have ever had. 

With 7 league wins since he was elected in the 03/04 season, and over 120 titles throughout all disciplines (including a Futsal Champions cup and 5 international titles in Basketball), he is fast becoming the most titled president ever. 

This year we have already won the Pt Supercup, with a 5-0 over Sporting Club Portugal (Sporting Lisbon, for some), one of our biggest historical rival., and with 11 goals scored in 4 games in the league, things are looking pretty solid and the 38th national championship win might really happen this year. 

The team is young and solid, and most comes from last year (though we lost João Felix for Atl. Madrid by a record 126M€). 

I am optimistic looking forward for this year’s champions cup... 

But the president doesn't actually play in the team, right? 😜

Spinnaker1981
4 hours ago, Schumi6581 said:

But the president doesn't actually play in the team, right? 😜

No, but he is the one that chooses the staff (coaches, head of the football division, etc...) And he has been doing a very good job, both financially as structurally. 

The youth academy is his work, and that has given us some very fine players lately (Bernardo Silva, André Gomes, Renato Sanchez, João Felix, Florentino Luis, Ruben Dias, Ferro, Lindelof, Jota, amongst others...).

And the association with José Mendes has been very fruitful as well.

So, yes, I give the most credit to him and his staff (which includes Rui Costa for example).

That doesn´t mean  I don´t give due credit to our former (and current) coaches and players (and we had quite a few good ones coming through in the last few years), but I do feel he is the engine that drives that boat!

• Like 1

Schumi6581
2 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

No, but he is the one that chooses the staff (coaches, head of the football division, etc...) And he has been doing a very good job, both financially as structurally. 

The youth academy is his work, and that has given us some very fine players lately (Bernardo Silva, André Gomes, Renato Sanchez, João Felix, Florentino Luis, Ruben Dias, Ferro, Lindelof, Jota, amongst others...).

And the association with José Mendes has been very fruitful as well.

So, yes, I give the most credit to him and his staff (which includes Rui Costa for example).

That doesn´t mean  I don´t give due credit to our former (and current) coaches and players (and we had quite a few good ones coming through in the last few years), but I do feel he is the engine that drives that boat!

Maybe I misunderstand the word president. Dutch clubs do not literally have that job. Next to that, the organisational structures of clubs differ very much in the various european countries.

Here we normally have a supervisory board with chairman, boardmembers, etc. Next to that we have an executive committee with general director, technical director, commercial director, etc. The coach functions below the technical director.

I thought that with president you meant the chairman of the supervisory board. Here we call that the chairman of the club. We definitely not view them as persons that have a huge personal impact on the organisation and performance of the technical side. To the public they are more like a general representative of the club. 
We especially look at the performance of the technical director and the coach. And with coach I kind of mean "manager" of the first team. But (for example) in England I understood that a manager also does a lot more technical director stuff and uses field coaches to do the actual training. More than we see in The Netherlands.

I think the differences also have to do with the fact that, in mediterranean countries, clubs still have actual (non-playing) members (like the socios at Barcelona) that vote for a specific president. Here Football clubs in the premier league are private companies (Ltd's). They really only have shareholders, employees and volunteers.

You still with me? 🙂

Potato

I'm ready for norwich to lose 7-1 this evening. Would better off forfeiting the game and taking a 3-0 loss but oh well 😂

Spinnaker1981
16 minutes ago, Potato said:

I'm ready for norwich to lose 7-1 this evening. Would better off forfeiting the game and taking a 3-0 loss but oh well 😂

forfeiting is usually 5-0....

Squirrel
2 hours ago, Potato said:

Well that didn’t happen. 

• Like 1

vwszoXH.jpg

Potato
Just now, Squirrel said:

Well that didn’t happen. 

I do not believe what I've just witnessed.

Champions of England, you're avin' a laugh.

• Like 1

Schumi6581
44 minutes ago, Potato said:

Wow, I even heard Tim Krul did a great job...

Protocawl
8 minutes ago, Schumi6581 said:

Ouch, that's Krul!

(I'll show myself out...)

• Facepalm 1

Protocawl.png

Potato
1 hour ago, Schumi6581 said:

All the players played the game of their lives. Best Norwich win I have ever seen, especially considering the injuries. We even had to put 2 goalkeepers on the bench lol.

Oh and also, Pep Guardiola wears Teemu Pukki pyjamas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DavidCore89
18 hours ago, Potato said:

Great win that was.

Was gonna post the other day when you said relegation was likely - there's too many goals in that team to go down IMO.

Potato
On 9/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, DavidCore89 said:

there's too many goals in that team to go down IMO.

I know the team is more than capable of scoring goals, but I'm fairly sure we'll finish the season with most goals conceded.

The game before the international break we lost 2-0 to west ham. Could've easily been 5-0 and they figured us out so well we didn't create a single clear cut chance all game.

The problem with the PL this season is there's no really weak team like huddersfield were. And except man city and liverpool, the rest of the 'big 6' look beatable by anyone (Newcastle beat spurs, palace beat utd, watford drew with arsenal, Sheffield utd drew with Chelsea). You can't tell who's gonna go down. IMO this season the team in 18th place will go down with close to 40 points.