About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Action
    • Adventure
    • Science Fiction

Overview

An apocalyptic story set in the furthest reaches of our planet, in a stark desert landscape where humanity is broken, and most everyone is crazed fighting for the necessities of life. Within this world exist two rebels on the run who just might be able to restore order.

Trailer

Credits

• Tom Hardy
    Tom Hardy
    Max Rockatansky
  • Charlize Theron
    Charlize Theron
    Imperator Furiosa
  • Nicholas Hoult
    Nicholas Hoult
    Nux
  • Hugh Keays-Byrne
    Hugh Keays-Byrne
    Immortan Joe
  • Josh Helman
    Josh Helman
    Slit
  • Nathan Jones
    Nathan Jones
    Rictus Erectus
This page uses the themoviedb.org API.
LimeGreenLegend

This month the film club is hitting the road, with the theme being road movies.  The winner, nominated by @Squirrel, is Mad Max: Fury Road.  This is a sequel/reboot of the legendary Australian film series, the fourth entry, and the first in thirty years.  It was written and directed by the creator of the original films, George Miller (Happy Feet, Happy Feet 2, Babe: Pig in the City) and stars Tom Hardy (Bronson, The Dark Knight Rises) as Max, replacing Mel Gibson in the role, and Charlize Theron (Monster, Prometheus) as Imperator Furiosa.

The plot sees Max helping Furiosa in her attempt to free the enslaved wives of tyrannical ruler of the wastes, Immortan Joe, which mostly involves driving cool looking post-apocalyptic vehicles covered in spikes that shoot fire.  The entire film is basically one huge car chase, and the action never lets up.

I saw this in the cinema when it was released, and it is still one of the best looking films I've seen on the big screen.  The way Miller directs the action sequences is perfect, and the way he presents the post-apocalyptic wastes to us is both beautiful and terrifying.  

orO05pB.jpg

Oh, what a lovely day!

mad max GIF

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend.png

Squirrel

I went to see this on the first date with my girlfriend so it does have a special meaning for me. Can’t believe it’s been four years though. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

vwszoXH.jpg

Squirrel

Looks like I'm kicking this one off. I've watched it a couple of times this week already :D

Mad Max Fury Road, a film that deserves to be watched in 7.1 surround sound to make the most of the Oscar winning sound mixing. It’s a film which takes traditional film writing methods and turns them on their head. It’s a fast paced action circus stage show and extreme motor sports event combined with jaw dropping special effects at high speed on 140km long set in the Namibian desert

Usually a film begins life as a script or book. This is then given further rewrites and fleshed out and the storyboarding process begins. Fury Road was different, director George Miller had a vision of an epic chase film in his head and then spent two years working on a 3,500 panel storyboard before writing the screenplay based on those sketches. It was co-written with an artist from the 2000ad comic book series This is why the film has a certain comic book feel, many of the shots look like they were lifted directly from a graphic novel.

The reverse script writing process wasn’t the only divergence when it comes to the typical action movie, in an industry dominated by CGI, Fury road actually went the other way with very limited CGI. It was mainly used to remove safety equipment and to change backgrounds.

If a shot could be done practically it was, all the vehicles were fully functional, the Doof Wagon complete with the electric guitar playing Doof Warrior was a real vehicle, the drums and guitar could be played and there definitely wasn’t anything fake about the fire it was spitting out. It didn’t need to be real as the guitar sounds were added after it just shows the length the producers went to make everything within the film as real as it could be. 90% of the crashes, stunts and explosions you see are practical effects, all the cars flipping over record numbers of times were genuine stunts, the pole cats swinging on the poles onto the trucks was all done for real, at 60mph.

This is a video of some of the shots without filters and other editing

For the film itself, it may be a Mad Max film but the film isn’t about Max, it’s about Furiosa and her bid to escape with Immortan Joes prize breeders. She’s been building up to this moment her whole life since being kidnapped as a child. She takes the opportunity to run towards the memory of her home.

Furiosa’s journey is actually a mirror, this is a both a literal mirror as the route they take beyond the green place and back to the citadel and a metaphoric mirror as Max helps Furiosa to reflect on who she is, a choice between carrying on into insanity or going back to fix what was broken. Instead of running away from her problems she turns back and faces them head on. She realises the world she wanted to escape to is actually the place she is running away from.

The films opening and closing scenes are also a reflection of each other. As the War rig is lowered from the citadel you can see the desperation of the survivors hanging on for life as Joe wastefully rations out the precious water, a stark contrast to the return of the wives when the mothers finally unleash the life giving fluid the people desperately need.

Although the movie has definitely has a strong female focus but you don’t feel like the film is trying to put any special emphasis on female strength and power, it’s one of the few recent films where they have the balance spot on when it comes to gender equality, it never feels forced. Furiosa takes the final shot with the rifle because she is a better shot. The heavily pregnant Angharad is never slowed down by her pregnancy because she’s grown up in a harsh world and only the strong survive. Even physical disabilities are no detriment to how well someone can perform their role in the cruel apocalyptic world. There’s a strong emphasis on mutual dependency, even though there is strong gender discrimination within the film. The men can’t survive without the mothers. It also does away with the need to have a romantic interest between the lead characters. In the end they have mutual respect and trust but that’s all they need from each other.

While it may not have some of the complex drama & script of your average Oscar winner it completely cleaned up in the technical and creative side of things, dialogue is certainly lacking in some points, this however was deliberate as George Miller wanted the film to be enjoyed in as many languages as possible with the minimal amount of translation, something inspired by Alfred Hitchcock used to do. It does mean it’s quite a simple film in terms of plot and missing some depth.

Personally, I love the little call backs to the previous Mad Max films like the little music box and boomerang, lots of references to the Road Warrior including many of the same props, cars and even some of the original stunt men. I strongly recommend watching the extras, the feature on the cars is worth watching on its own if you’re a petrol head.

It’s definitely one of my favourite films and I don’t need much excuse to put it on and watch. If you can find it I also recommend the Black & Chrome version. It’s the same film but edited in black and white. For some reason, taking the colour from the film brings out the detail and you get to see it in a whole new light.

• Like 2

vwszoXH.jpg

djw180

I didn't think I was going to like this and I wasn't wrong. Pure action films are not my thing. I need decent dialogue and acting to keep me interested and this had very little of those. I read what Squirrel said about why there is so little dialogue, but it wasn't just the lack of dialogue it was how mundane it was when there was some. Apart from a brief bit in the middle where they meet the motorcycling grannies (whatever they were called) it was just one long action sequence, and no matter how well done that was it didn't keep my interest. I genuinely struggled to pay attention to the second half of the film. Had it not been for this film club I may well have turned it off. The guitarist and drummers made me think this would be a great 10 - 15 minute rock music video but a nearly 2 hour film is too much for me.

So it's 2/5 from me. Just not my sort of film at all. It's gets 2 rather than 1 because the action is very well done, but I want more than that.

• Like 2

Fido_le_muet

I watched it a couple years ago. I won't be rewatching it as I don't really like the Mad Max Universe. 

I don't like the atmosphere and I couldn't care less about the characters. I don't find it particularly interesting. 

That's always been the cas with Mad Max films for me. Ever since the first one I didn't like it. I gave it another try when Fury Road was released but I still felt the same way. 

No review from me this month. I just don't like these movies. 

toYHMZH.png