Rush

About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Drama
    • Action

Overview

A biographical drama centered on the rivalry between Formula 1 drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda during the 1976 Formula One motor-racing season.

Trailer

Credits

• Chris Hemsworth
    Chris Hemsworth
    James Hunt
  • Daniel Brühl
    Daniel Brühl
    Niki Lauda
  • Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    Suzy Miller
  • Alexandra Maria Lara
    Alexandra Maria Lara
    Marlene Lauda
  • Pierfrancesco Favino
    Pierfrancesco Favino
    Clay Regazzoni
  • David Calder
    David Calder
    Louis Stanley
This page uses the themoviedb.org API.
LimeGreenLegend
Posted (edited)

Our second Film Club Extra choice is the film Rush, suggested by @Beez, @djw180 and @Fido_le_muet to commemorate the life of legendary Formula 1 driver, Niki Lauda, who recently passed away.

Directed by Ron Howard (Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind), the film tells the story of the heated rivalry between Lauda, played by Daniel Bruhl (Inglourious Basterds, Captain America: Civil War) and James Hunt, Chris Hemsworth (Thor) in the early to mid 70s.  

This film was critically acclaimed for it's race sequences, which are shot to show the pure power and danger of the sport, especially in those days.  The performances by Bruhl and Hemsworth were also well reviewed, both  really embodying their characters, and playing off of each other well, highlighting just how different Hunt and Lauda were as people.  

Really looking forward to watching this one after reading some reviews.

VXxFV6E.jpg

"A lot of people criticise Formula 1 as an unnecessary risk.  But what would life be like if we only did what is necessary?" - Niki Lauda 1949-2019

G4pvIXu.jpg

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 3

LimeGreenLegend.png

Con

Cool. Thanks Film Club as this is something I was not planning on watching in 2019 and now I will.

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend
17 minutes ago, Con said:

Cool. Thanks Film Club as this is something I was not planning on watching in 2019 and now I will.

Same.  I don't really rate Ron Howard as a director, so I never keep up with what he's been up to.

LimeGreenLegend.png

Squirrel

Love this film. I could probably write a review without watching it again but I don’t need much of an excuse to put it on. 

• Like 2

vwszoXH.jpg

II-Manny-Il

• Haha 1

LimeGreenLegend

Here's a short interview with Niki Lauda, and his review of the film.

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend.png

djw180

Without a doubt the best racing film I have seen, although I haven't seen many. Probably the best Ron Howard directed film as well. A very good cast all round but the leads' similarity to the people they play is amazing. I really like Julian Rhind-Tutt and Steven Mangan as the engineers. The fact they are both more known, to me, as sit-com actors adds a sense of 'even though this is serious stuff, we're still mainly in it to have fun'. Watching just after Nikka Lauda's death makes it more poignant as well. I really like the scene where he and his future wife hitch a lift and the car stops not for the beautiful lady needing assistance but the Ferrari driver with her, and they insist he drives. When he agrees to drive the car faster, the way he accelerates and smoothly shifts up gear with the passengers getting thrown back in the seat is great. You can almost feel the acceleration.

The one down side is I am not sure how much I believe the script at times. I don't expect films based on a true to story to be 100% historically accurate, but at one point Nikki Lauda says something like “I know every time I race there is a 20% chance I will be killed”. Well that is rubbish. F1 at the time was far more dangerous than today but did not have a fatality rate of 1 in 5 drivers killed every race. If that was true every driver would know their chance of surviving a whole season was pretty low. I think it was more like 1 or 2 fatalities per season. So with that sort of exaggeration, and the director may be to blame for that, it does make me suspicious of other things. But the basic story of Hunt and Lauda's rivalry and the latter's come-back from what could easily have been a fatal accident is true enough.

4/5 from me.

• Like 1