About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Crime
    • Mystery
    • Thriller

Overview

Two French policemen, one investigating a grisly murder at a remote mountain college, the other working on the desecration of a young girl's grave by skinheads, are brought together by the clues from their respective cases. Soon after they start working together, more murders are committed, and the pair begin to discover just what dark secrets are behind the killings.

Trailer

Credits

• Jean Reno
    Jean Reno
    Pierre Niemans
  • Vincent Cassel
    Vincent Cassel
    Max Kerkerian
  • Nadia Farès
    Nadia Farès
    Fanny Ferreira
  • Dominique Sanda
    Dominique Sanda
    Sister Andrée
  • Karim Belkhadra
    Karim Belkhadra
    Captain Dahmane
  • Jean-Pierre Cassel
    Jean-Pierre Cassel
    Dr. Bernard Chernezé
This page uses the themoviedb.org API.
LimeGreenLegend

On the 22nd of March 1895, at the "Society for the Development of the National Industry" in Paris, 200 people witnessed the very first projected motion pictures in history.  This makes France the most important country in film history.  Thanks to pioneers like The Lumiere Brothers, Georges Melies, and The Pathe Brothers we are able to see things on the big screen that we could never possibly dream of.  

France didn't just invent cinema, they also gave us cinemas, and, with the publication of Cahiers du Cinema in 1951, gave us the birth of modern film theory and criticism.  The writers at this magazine knew their stuff.  Two of them went on to lead the French new wave in the 60s, arguably the most influential period in film history, Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut.  

So it's only right that we celebrate this great nation by watching the fruit of its loins.  The winning film was selected by @Spinnaker1981, The Crimson Rivers, or, Les Rivieres Pourpres.

hq4ddvC.jpg

The Crimson Rivers is a psychological thriller starring Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel, directed by Mathieu Kassovitz, and adapted from from the novel of the same name by the author, Jean-Christophe Grange.  I've not seen this film, so I can't really say much else, but I am looking forward to watching it being a fan of both the leads.

Vive la France

• Like 2

LimeGreenLegend.png

Con

I'm not reading anything about this one. In fact, I was dreading the chance of seeing a spoiler image when I was looking for the pic for the home page promo. Pretty sure I will be watching this one within a few days. 

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend

Same, I didn’t even read the synopsis on Wikipedia.  I also want to watch this one soon, it’s the first film club film I’ve not seen and I’m pretty pumped to watch it.

• Like 1

LimeGreenLegend.png

Fido_le_muet

Saw it many many many years ago but don't remember anything about this film except that there's Jean Reno in it.

I love Jean Reno. 

• Like 2

toYHMZH.png

Spinnaker1981

I know I loved this movie when I saw it (when it came out). I can’t honestly remember why I loved it though.... really want to see it again and see what you guys think about it! 

• Like 2

Spinnaker1981
15 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Same, I didn’t even read the synopsis on Wikipedia.  I also want to watch this one soon, it’s the first film club film I’ve not seen and I’m pretty pumped to watch it.

Good, I honestly chose french film category to see if I could catch you guys in a movie that you guys hadn’t seen yet. This is perfect because it ticks all the boxes. 

Also this is the spirit of a movie club. And, even if the movie wouldn’t be something we would pick out of a shelve, it is a perfect setup to learn to appreciate what we don’t know yet. 

I might bot like a movie here, but I am enjoying this ride, thats for sure! 

This club was a very good ideia, thank you all! 

• Like 3

djw180

I have now watched this. As it seems no one else has yet I won't say too much because as a murder / thriller it obviously has the potential for major spoilers.

3/5 from me.

It's OK, interesting enough film, but not a great. It starts off well. Although quite gory, the opening credits focussing on the body are good. Jean Reno is very good in the lead role and Vincent Cassel is good as well. But the basic story just isn't that well told for me and is a bit confusing in places. I'll return to my comments when others have seen it but there are a couple of things about what we eventually find out went on that don't make sense to me and still have me confused. It doesn't seem to be one of those films that is supposed to leave you confused and not knowing the full story; I just think that either the script wasn't that well written or it's been badly edited and too much has been cut out. There is also what seems a totally out of place kung-fu (or some other martial art) sequence in the middle. I get why there is a fight between some characters at this point and the people fighting all know martial arts, but it's almost as if the film switches genre for a few minutes.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

LimeGreenLegend

Just finished this today, will do a full write up later tonight/tomorrow, but I mostly agree with @djw180, at some points I feel like I understand the plot, but then I think about it too much and get confused.

Mostly enjoyable though.

LimeGreenLegend.png

djw180
11 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Just finished this today, will do a full write up later tonight/tomorrow, but I mostly agree with @djw180, at some points I feel like I understand the plot, but then I think about it too much and get confused.

Mostly enjoyable though.

Since writing my comments here I have looked through some of the reviews on IMDB, and many of those seem as confused as me. One I recall saying that a lot was cut out of the book it's based on and if you do read the book then that makes more sense.

• Like 1