LimeGreenLegend

Aliens [XDBX Film Club 03]

punkbish85
24 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@punkbish85 great thoughts about Alien, which is one of my favourite movies of all time, but this month we were doing Aliens, the sequel :D 

Whhhaaaa... I thought, what, ugh.. 😔

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

djw180
4 hours ago, punkbish85 said:

Whhhaaaa... I thought, what, ugh.. 😔

It's good to watch the first film before the sequel though!

I just bought the quadrilogy so I am thinking of watching Alien again before Aliens.

Also by watching both you can see which camp you fit into. People who really like series tend to either think the first or second is clearly the best. For me it's the first but I have only seen Aliens once, about 30 years ago.

• Like 4

The_Lady_A
3 hours ago, djw180 said:

It's good to watch the first film before the sequel though!

I just bought the quadrilogy so I am thinking of watching Alien again before Aliens.

Also by watching both you can see which camp you fit into. People who really like series tend to either think the first or second is clearly the best. For me it's the first but I have only seen Aliens once, about 30 years ago.

The most recent time I watched them it was back to back. I think they compliment each other really well, as broadly speaking Alien builds the tension and then Aliens turns it into momentum. 

It really highlighted the differences that's for certain. But because the time-skip between the two films is justified by Ripley being in cryosleep, I find those differences add to her story arc and character development. From her point of view she has literally woken up in the far future. Seeing the consequences of surviving a horror story is every bit as interesting for me.

• Like 3

Wish you luck but you're not bringing us down!

Fido_le_muet

Just watched it :) 

I had seen it before but it was many years ago so I didn't remember it well. But while watching it, I knew what was gonna happen. 

It's a great movie. Not a big fan of horror as it feels like it's always the same chain of events in these movies, just the bad guy/monster that changes (I know you probably disagrees @Con :D ). 

Anyway, loved the space scenes at the beginning, beautiful imagery with Ripley's spaceship slowly coming into view and getting picked up by a salvage vessel. We learn that she's been in a cryosleep for the past 57 years after escaping LV-426 and the Nostromo. That means that her daughter, who was 11 at the time has now passed away 2 years prior. That was a very sad moment and Weaver's acting is wonderful here. (Side note, I'm much more sensible now that I'm a parent myself...) That tragic event resonates with Ripley when she finds Newt, the little survivor girl on the decimated colony back on LV-426 and she immediately treats her like her own daughter, trying to make up for all the time she didn't had with her real daughter. Again, I found that to be very sad. 

Ripley is debriefed by the guys at Weyland Corp aka "The Evil Company" and they're not happy with her blowing up a multimillion spaceship in Alien 1 :D So they want her to go back, supposedly to finish off the alien but anyone who watches this movie know they want to put their hands on a specimen for their evil purposes (weaponry, war stuff and money as always). Of course she refuses but since she has nightmares all the time she finally accepts. I found this to be very expected and this is why I find that most horror movies are alike. We've seen this dozens of times in many movies, with different levels of execution. I know it's not a problem specific to horror movies, we find this in action movies, comedy, superhero flicks... But, I find it particularly obvious in horror movies. 

Then, we meet our merry band of space marines who are also very stereotypical. You got the black sergeant who shouts at everyone all the time (Apone), the inexperienced leader (Gorman), the stupid/crazy gun totting douchebag who talks shit every second (Hudson), the good-looking corporal (Hicks), the badass woman with her giant guns (Vasquez) and of course, the android (Bishop). OK, I admit, Vasquez was pretty badass. But then you have Ripley at the end, when she's looking for the little girl and that's another level of badassery. Have you seen the look on her face when she enters that station to find the girl ? Bad-ass ! They're accompanied by Burke, the Company Man. 

You know that Burke, who seems nice at first is gonna screw up Ripley. "No, no, of course we're not gonna bring back a creature, we're gonna kill them all". That's complete bullshit, everyone knows it except Ripley. Too bad for her but we get a great movie out of it so Yay! That Burke guy doesn't hesitate to try to kill Ripley and a child by facehugger. That's really mean. If he could bring back an alien host, that would certainly accelerate his carreer but he's not that lucky and as it's often the case in horror movies, he dies. That made me think of Jurassic Park, when that fat guy Nedry, who tries to escape with samples gets killed by that Dilophosaurus. 

Also, when Gorman gets back in the ship in the middle of the movie and he sees weird slimey stuff, he keeps going like it's nothing, despite everyone knowing there are killer aliens around. And surprise, there is an alien in the ship who kills the pilot, causing the ship to crash and Gorman dies. I hate when people in movies make bad decisions like this. And it happens all the time. Why are they so stupid ? I would have run like hell if I were in his shoes or at least call for backup. 

So, by now you must think that I hated that film but not at all! I love the Alien universe, saw all four movies and Prometheus, haven't seen Covenant yet. I like the mythos, the crashed ship in Alien 1 and in this sequel is so cool and scary. And it gets more interesting after each movie, that's something I like when we expand on the mythology and discover more mysteries. 

On the technical side, I loved that camera angle when Bishop is in the conduit. We only see his face, that makes it very claustrophobic. Well done James. All the lighting in the movie is perfect. And the sets are wonderful. Loved the derelict station at the beginning, with the walls covered in alien-liked structures and textures, who are in fact aliens blending in to kill all the human ! So scary and cool ! 

Speaking of aliens, that Alien Queen is magnificent ! Except when she runs, she's ridiculous lol. She's so pissed at Ridley when she starts burning all her eggs ! She wants to kill her so bad but this is badass Ripley we're talking about so not happening. That airlock scene at the end was a bit over the top with Ripley managing to hold on despite the vaccum of space sucking everything, but I'll give it a pass. 

Don't know what else to add, it's starting to get a bit long. I really liked the movie, despite its flaws which are inherent to the genre IMO. It's a great follow up to the first Alien. Cameron basically went bigger on every aspect from the first film but it works and it's a thrill to watch Ripley battle aliens with her machine guns and badassery ! 

8/10

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

LimeGreenLegend

Nice write up @Fido_le_muet, I basically agree with everything you said.

I’ll be watching this, and maybe Gravity, tomorrow.  Don’t worry about writing too much as I’m sure I’ll write waaaaay to much, as usual :D 

• Haha 1

Fido_le_muet

Don't know when I'll watch Gravity as I want to be alone to watch it in the dark with max sound. And I wanna watch Infinity War again wednesday afternoon before seeing Endgame that same evening !