About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Action
    • Crime
    • Thriller

Overview

Tough narcotics detective 'Popeye' Doyle is in hot pursuit of a suave French drug dealer who may be the key to a huge heroin-smuggling operation.

Trailer

Credits

• Gene Hackman
    Gene Hackman
    Jimmy Doyle
  • Fernando Rey
    Fernando Rey
    Alain Charnier
  • Roy Scheider
    Roy Scheider
    Buddy Russo
  • Tony Lo Bianco
    Tony Lo Bianco
    Sal Boca
  • Marcel Bozzuffi
    Marcel Bozzuffi
    Pierre Nicoli
  • Frédéric de Pasquale
    Frédéric de Pasquale
    Devereaux
This page uses the themoviedb.org API.

The first film for the XDBX Film Club has been chosen, with The French Connection, picked by @Beez winning out over all of the other Best Picture winners.

i2nM5Ll.jpg

The theme for this month was Best Picture winners, with The French Connection winning in 1971, beating films like Fiddler on the Roof and A Clockwork Orange.  It also picked up Oscars for best director (William Friedkin, who would later direct The Exorcist), best actor (Gene Hackman playing Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle), best adapted screenplay (Ernest Tidyman based on the book by Robin Moore), and best film editing.  It received nominations for best supporting actor (Roy Scheider playing Buddy "Cloudy" Russo), best cinematography and best sound mixing.

The French Connection is based on a real case of New York narcotic agents busting an international heroin operation.  The two real cops that are the basis of Hackman and Scheider's characters were on set when it was filmed, acting as consultants and adding a real authenticity to the performances.  There is also authenticity in the way Friedkin directed the film.  This is because Hollywood was undergoing a massive change in the late 60s/early 70s, the new film makers were moving away from the "Old Hollywood" way of doing things, where the studio was in control and the director was just a hired hand, and taking inspiration from European films, where the director was totally in control of their vision, particularly, at this time, French cinema.  Two big inspirations for this film were the French films "Breathless" and "Z".  Friedkin took the almost documentary style of film making used in these films and took it to the streets of New York, which is as big a character in The French Connection as Popeye Doyle.  All of the film was shot on location using handheld cameras for the most part, so it really feels like you're on the streets, following these guys around.

The French Connection also contains what is arguably the best chase scene in film history.  It's quite a simple setup; Hackman's character is chasing a guy, who escapes on to a train.  Hackman commandeers a car and chases the train.  What makes it incredible is how real it is.  It is actually Gene Hackman driving that fast down real streets, with real traffic at some points.  That's because they didn't have official permission to film it, they just had some off duty and retired cops helping them slow the traffic down enough to be able to  film.  They did hire some stunt drivers to come in the opposite direction for some exciting close calls, but a lot of those ended up in actual crashes, and some of those ended up in the film.  It's what a real car chase would look like, not something from Fast and Furious or Bond films, as exciting as they are.

I won't go into story details in this first post, just to say that it's a real tense slow-burn of a film that builds up perfectly to fantastic ending.

@Con @JustHatched @nkaujrog @Fido_le_muet @Beez @djw180 @omarcomin71 @Spinnaker1981 @Dodge thanks for participating in this!  Hope you enjoy the film, and feel free to get as spoilery as you want in this thread :D any other general comments or questions about the film club please post in the main thread here 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So pumped to watch this since It will be my first time doing so, not even gonna read the full synopsis until after I watch the movie cause I want to know very little. And my mind is already doing gymnastics as we are currently in a heroin/opioid crisis here in the USA so im ready to watch a 70's movie dealing with the same issues we have in 2019!!! Wow!!!

Sf5nmWb.jpg

• Like 3

A nice Sunday afternoon with popcorn and soda already in the works!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, nkaujrog said:

A nice Sunday afternoon with popcorn and soda already in the works!

Cannot wait to listen to the podcast!!!!

• Like 1

Does anybody know where to find this movie streaming ?   I was able to find it in HD on Amazon prime to rent for 3.99. 

Never seen it so I'm happy to do it soon. I'm on holiday too so it's gonna happen in the next few days, maybe even today :) 

• Like 1

I don’t think I ever saw this one, but if it beat Clockwork Orange it has to be really something.... searching for “rental” sites now... 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, omarcomin71 said:

Does anybody know where to find this movie streaming ?   I was able to find it in HD on Amazon prime to rent for 3.99. 

I sent you a message

7 hours ago, omarcomin71 said:

Hit the local library. I’d be surprised if they don’t have a copy to lend you.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, Con said:

Hit the local library. I’d be surprised if they don’t have a copy to lend you.

My local library doesn't have it, but I've found it elsewhere.

• Like 2