• Genre

Classic Rock
  • Mood

Epic
  • From

New York City, USA

Male

Biography

Kiss (often stylized as KISS) is an American rock band formed in New York City in January 1973. Well known for its members' white and black face paint and flamboyant stage outfits, the group rose to prominence in the mid to late 1970s on the basis of their elaborate live performances, which featured fire breathing, blood spitting, smoking guitars, shooting rockets, levitating drum kits and pyrotechnics. Counting the 1978 solo albums, Kiss has been awarded 28 gold albums to date, the most of any American rock band. The band has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, of which 20 million have been certified by the RIAA and their worldwide sales exceeds 100 million albums. The 1973 original lineup of Paul Stanley (vocals and rhythm guitar), Gene Simmons (vocals and bass guitar), Ace Frehley (lead guitar) and Peter Criss (drums) is the most successful. With their makeup and costumes, they took on the personas of comic book-style characters: Starchild (Stanley), The Demon (Simmons), Spaceman or Space Ace (Frehley) and Catman (Criss). The band explains that the fans were the ones who ultimately chose their makeup designs. Stanley became the "Starchild" because of his tendency to be referred to as the "starry-eyed lover" and "hopeless romantic". The "Demon" makeup reflected Simmons' cynicism and dark sense of humor, as well as his affection for comic books. Frehley's "Spaceman" makeup was a reflection of his fondness for science fiction and supposedly being from another planet. Criss' "Catman" makeup was in accordance with the belief that he had nine lives because of his rough childhood in Brooklyn. Because of creative differences, both Criss and Frehley were out of the group by 1982. The band's commercial fortunes had waned considerably by that point. Buoyed by a wave of Kiss nostalgia in the 1990s, the band announced a reunion of the original lineup in 1996. The resulting Kiss Alive/Worldwide/Reunion Tour was the top-grossing act of 1996 and 1997. Criss and Frehley have since left Kiss again, but the band continues with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer. Stanley and Simmons have remained the only two constant members. Kiss has been named in many "Top" lists. They include Number 10 on VH1's '100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock', 9th on 'The Greatest Metal Bands' list by MTV, number one on Hit Paraders's "Top 100 Live Bands", 56th on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists Of All Time", and 26th on Gibson's "50 Greatest American Rock Bands". Kiss was nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, ten years after becoming eligible. However, on December 15, 2009, it was announced that Kiss did not make it in.

More...

Video

This page uses the TheAudioDB.com API.

KISS has either started or getting ready to start their End of the Road tour. Suppose to be the last of KISS tours (at least with this lineup - read on)

I'm not particularly a KISS fan, I dn't care for most of their song because I don't care for Paul Stanleys voice. But I do recognize the influence they have had on rock and roll. I listened to an interview a couple days ago with Gene Simmons, he said this was the last because he and the others want to end it to enjoy retirement and that if he wanted to do this forever he would join the Rolling Stones. He was asked about a rumor that KISS would continue with a whole new lineup once they are done and he said that this is possible. I doubt the KISS fan base would ever accept a whole new KISS wearing the makeup, it's one thing if someone dies and has to be replaced but to just say we are done but these new guys will be doing it for us is unthinkable. Gene's further commented that KISS has always done things to other bands wouldn't even consider and thats why a new lineup is possible.

Although I am not a fan in most terms, I wouldn't mind seeing the live show, I've always heard it is a must see..