FYI Ticker
LimeGreenLegend

XDBX Film Club [PLANNING]

@Con @Spinnaker1981 @JustHatched

Thought I’d open a thread to start planning the film club if you guys are up for it.

I was thinking it would be monthly, giving people plenty of time to watch the film and write up their thoughts.  Enough time to have a proper discussion about the film as well, rather than just saying “yeah I liked/hated it”.

We could pick films starting by having a genre eg biopics, war films, musicals etc, and then having everyone nominate a film, then voting for what we’re going to watch.  Is this too complicated?

I’d be happy starting the main film club thread and then the separate threads for each film we watch unless one of you guys want to do it.  

I would also like to get as many people involved as possible.  Any thoughts on that?

What do you guys think?

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Con @Spinnaker1981 @JustHatched

Thought I’d open a thread to start planning the film club if you guys are up for it.

I was thinking it would be monthly, giving people plenty of time to watch the film and write up their thoughts.  Enough time to have a proper discussion about the film as well, rather than just saying “yeah I liked/hated it”.

We could pick films starting by having a genre eg biopics, war films, musicals etc, and then having everyone nominate a film, then voting for what we’re going to watch.  Is this too complicated?

I’d be happy starting the main film club thread and then the separate threads for each film we watch unless one of you guys want to do it.  

I would also like to get as many people involved as possible.  Any thoughts on that?

What do you guys think?

If needed I can reenable the sites club feature. 

2 minutes ago, JustHatched said:

If needed I can reenable the sites club feature. 

If it’s not a problem that would be cool.  Not quite sure how it works though.

Sounds good, Lime! having it monthly sounds perfect. Now I’ve never been part of a book or movie club so I’m more than happy you taking the lead. 

1. How will we decide the genre and then the films?

We could have everyone make a suggestion and then put those titles in a hat and pick one to be the film the club has to watch. 

Id love to be in charge of doing the random drawing. 

I'm interested. I probably wouldn't participate every month but from time to time no problem. 

That could work with some theater release as well right ? 

• Like 1

I was thinking we coupd either vote for one genre a month and everyone nominates from that genre, or give a choice of 3-5 genres and you can pick whichever one you like to nominate from.

I’m more than happy for you to handle the random draw @Con

4 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I'm interested. I probably wouldn't participate every month but from time to time no problem. 

Sure. If there’s a big release coming out that we can all get to I don’t see why not.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Sure, I think we can make the theatre releases part of it, they just might have a separate section. 

@LimeGreenLegend like we can also list the genres and assign a month to them. Like February is Rom-Com month. March is War Movie Month, April is Action, etc...or we could do a random drawing for the genre like we will do for the movies.

Edited by Con

@Con I think a random draw will be best.  We can come up with a list of 10-15 to pick from.

If we’re going to start this this month I was thinking of starting off with best picture winners since the oscars are coming up soon.  What do you think? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Con I think a random draw will be best.  We can come up with a list of 10-15 to pick from.

If we’re going to start this this month I was thinking of starting off with best picture winners since the oscars are coming up soon.  What do you think? 

Yeah as long as people in the club have access to them. Otherwise we might have to stick with older films that are easier to find. 

• Like 1

Thos sounds cool. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Con said:

Yeah as long as people in the club have access to them. Otherwise we might have to stick with older films that are easier to find. 

Totally. Wasn’t thinking about obscure films from the 30s.

Best Picture Winner? Ok, I would submit the following to vote. Feel free to add a couple more if needed:

2002 - Chicago;

1996 - The English Patient;

1990 - Dances with wolves;

1975 - One flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest;

1965 - The Sound of Music.

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Best Picture Winner? Ok, I would submit the following to vote. Feel free to add a couple more if needed:

2002 - Chicago;

1996 - The English Patient;

1990 - Dances with wolves;

1975 - One flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest;

1965 - The Sound of Music.

There's a proper thread for the film club here 

And you can only nominate one film, so you better pick the one you like most :P  

• Like 1