News Ticker
  • XDBX vs STNC Dirty Hotring Racing H2H, CLICK HERE for details!!
  • XDBX vs 187X Combat H2H, Click Here for details!!
  • Be sure to check the calendar and event threads for all the Anniversary Events!!
  • Congrats to all our new vetted members!!
  • Crew Challenge #176 ends January 18, Click Here for details!!
Crew Policies and Guidelines Read more... ×
JustHatched

Censoring the website?

Would you be ok with the website being language censored?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Coordinator

Question, would you be opposed to censoring the language used on the website?

Reason I ask, I can create a bad word filter which would turn for example the word fuck into f*** if someone attempted to type that. 

Benefits of doing this, Google search doesn't favor sites that allow full use of profanity and they have an extensive list of words they filter. Also, if we were to put Google Ads on the site to generate revenue Google would reject us because of alot of the profanity on the site.

Negatives would be words we use commonly would be auto filtered

My point of view, I don't care either way for the most part, you all know I cuss alot in verbal and text form. I would like the site to rank better in google searches but we don't do to bad now in some cases showing on the 2nd to 5th pages depending on the search. As far as the ads go, we have always covered the costs so generating revenue is not a huge issue by any means. If there was ads on the site I would set them to be visible to guests and non crew members only. Curious what you all think and put the poll up to see, but would also like you to reply with your thoughts. Also, I have to do this on another site I manage which is the reason it made me think to ask here.

If the the votes lean to No then I wont put the filters in, if the votes lean to yes (you are ok with doing this) I still may not do it, I'm not yet convinced or sure I would want that. The poll is for if you are ok with it being done, not whether or not we should do it. We will save that for depending on how this poll goes.

Vetting

I think it wouldn't bother me too much at first, but after a while the censorship would really start to grind my gears.

Newsletter

I'd rather not. 

But if you go ahead with monetizing the website with ads, and the filter is a big help in achieving that, then let's do it. 

Fuck that!

However if it benefits the site then a small restriction on the worst of the swear words may help it. 

Anything in common use in TV should be acceptable. Call it the HBO test, any words they use in their programs shouldn’t get filtered but if someone starts calling someone else a scruffy looking nerfherder then we’ll definitely have to think about restricting that kind of language. 

Theres a forum I used to spend time on and instead of filtering out and blanking swearing it auto replaced the words with something a little more comical. 

You got used to it and it was funny sometimes but that wasn’t a forum based on an adult game which encourages swearing and violence throughout. 

If this was a forum with a younger audience then you should think about filters but we’re all fucking adults and we like to fucking swear. 

• Like 1

Contest

I'd rather there wasn't a censor, but if by having it it helps bring needed funding in for the site and / or attract wider audiance, then OK.

Edited by djw180

Vetting

I almost voted yes just to piss everyone of 😋

• Haha 1

Events

Yes. Assuming it doesn't censor Danish swear words, it will just give me a chance to practice them some more.

• Like 1

well, I can always swear in Portuguese anyway, so do what you think its best for the website and for the crew.

Pergunta do caralho!!!

• Haha 1

Vetting

Just have a virtual cuss jar! When a user cusses the site tracks it and they have to donate 50 cents. That way we get to cuss and still get revenue. I’ll start, here is a dollar: “you fuckin shitheads!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Coordinator

The revenue iisn't a concern, google rank is the only thing I twist in my head. 

I don't care either way.

I don't cuss much but I don't understand why some of you guys have a problem with censoring the site in this particular way. If it's exactly the way explained above, fuck will be filtered into f***. We will still know exactly what the person mean't regardless of the censorship. I really don't see a problem with that. This can only help out the crew get more exposure, and the ad revenue is just a added plus the way Hatched sees it. But hey that's just me.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I'd rather not. 

But if you go ahead with monetizing the website with ads, and the filter is a big help in achieving that, then let's do it. 

Same here.

Newsletter

I like Squirrel's idea of replacing swear words with comical ones or placeholder like we see in some tv shows. 

Like frak instead of fuck for instance. 

• Like 1

HR Dept.

Doesn't bother me either way, my posts contain probably less than 1% of the shit that actually comes outta my mouth.

I use other forums that have censoring, it's quite common, most people will find another way to type it if need be :)

Do whatever is best for the site.

I assume the shoutbox will remain as it is?

Coordinator
11 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I assume the shoutbox will remain as it is?

Nope, the filters are auto applied to everything on the site, no way around it

HR Dept.

No worries.

Potentially more site traffic outweighs the ability to call somebody an asshole :)

On 1/12/2019 at 5:41 AM, Squirrel said:

Fuck that!

However if it benefits the site then a small restriction on the worst of the swear words may help it. 

Anything in common use in TV should be acceptable. Call it the HBO test, any words they use in their programs shouldn’t get filtered but if someone starts calling someone else a scruffy looking nerfherder then we’ll definitely have to think about restricting that kind of language. 

Theres a forum I used to spend time on and instead of filtering out and blanking swearing it auto replaced the words with something a little more comical. 

You got used to it and it was funny sometimes but that wasn’t a forum based on an adult game which encourages swearing and violence throughout. 

If this was a forum with a younger audience then you should think about filters but we’re all fucking adults and we like to fucking swear. 

HBO Test? HBO has always been a premium channel and has always allowed every type of cursing imaginable. Nudity and sex as well.

Using TV, it would be a CBS or NBC test.

Instead it would use the old stand up routine from George Carlin. Shit, Piss, Fuck, C u n t, Cock Sucker, Mother Fucker and Tits.

I find it hilarious that C.U.N.T. is already censored.

Edited by SINISTER120

19 hours ago, Manny_AKA_Yolo said:

I don't cuss much but I don't understand why some of you guys have a problem with censoring the site in this particular way.

Because FUCK censorship, that's why. Fuck Google and their pussy ass filter as well, lol.

Coordinator
3 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

Because FUCK censorship, that's why. Fuck Google and their pussy ass filter as well, lol.

Cunt is censored from way back in 2014 we had an issue on site, as is the N word

• Like 1

Vetting
36 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

That's not an actual answer, that's just shouting angrily in the place of actually explaining why you actually feel so strongly about it. 

Media

If it saves money and helps the site, it'd be pretty silly not to imo. If I can manage not to swear, we all can!  

Edited by Crawford1872
  • Like 1

Vetting

There is oppressive censorship—such as the general suppression of ideas or thoughts—and then there are profanity filters. I feel it’s a bit of a stretch to call a profanity filter censorship. 

And more importantly it is less like censorship because we are discussing it and deciding it as a group, not being oppressed without a say. If we agree as a group to use a profanity filter It is as silly in my opinion to call it censorship as it would be to call nudity/public decency laws a threat to human liberty. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

That's not an actual answer, that's just shouting angrily in the place of actually explaining why you actually feel so strongly about it. 

It wasn't supposed to be an actual answer, hence the lol at the end of it. 

Vetting

If the pros of using the censoring/profanity filter outweigh the cons, then fuck it, switch it on for the site.

The world is a really hypocritical place indeed... Who is the internet trying to save anymore from the curse words anyway, very generally speaking? Kids under 18 have been cursing since kindergarten in many cases, and way worse than any adult (even 10+ years ago and it hasn't gotten much better!). Mankind cracks me up. :lol:

Many U18s curse out of spite and keep cursing no matter what, mainly BECAUSE we're trying so hard to keep 'em from doing it... Forbidden fruit is the sweetest, no doubt. We have that saying, but still fail to understand the meaning of it. Oh the humanity. And giant corporations like Google and YT going with the flow and forcing it on us all. This profanity filter practice isn't a big deal, practically, and it wouldn't be for us, because we can work around it on the site, but it's just a completely idiotic practice at its core IMHO.

Unfortunately, the world won't do away with this nonsense anytime soon, if ever, so if we can gain plenty from going with the flow, do it. Our little protest won't change the global practice, so ideological reasons go out the window anyway and you should just consider the non-ideological pros/cons in the end, @JustHatched.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 1

you should do what benefits the crew/website. i'm completely against any form of censorship that is imposed on people. in this case though i feel you have to go with the flow. google/youtube/advertisers aren't gonna change just because this 1 site rebels against the system, if the site will push up the rankings and benefit all you wonderful people, who put so much work into this crew, then im all for it.

does the crew name have an effect on googles search algorithms?  it would suck to have to change your profanity filter and then also the whole crew name cause of them google soyboys.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:56 AM, pete_95973 said:

There is oppressive censorship—such as the general suppression of ideas or thoughts—and then there are profanity filters. I feel it’s a bit of a stretch to call a profanity filter censorship. 

And more importantly it is less like censorship because we are discussing it and deciding it as a group, not being oppressed without a say. If we agree as a group to use a profanity filter It is as silly in my opinion to call it censorship as it would be to call nudity/public decency laws a threat to human liberty. 

the reasons this is being discussed is censorship-lite (on google/advertisers end not on the forums end) the oppression comes from google pushing the forums further down their precious ranking because of a few curse words here and there. typing google and oppression in the same sentence has now made me feel ill xD