djw180

Crew Challenge 175 - Point to Point

djw180

Crew Challenge 175 - Point to Point

This is our RDR holidays challenge, a point to point horse time trial combined with a bar crawl (that's the festive element). You steal a basic horse and ride from St Denis to Rhodes and back again. The "check points" are saloons where you must have a drink. Save a video and post it here.

• steal a NPC's horse to use this for the challenge
    • it can be one being ridden or alone, just make sure it's not another player's owned horse
    • this is just so that we all use the same type of horse as we don't all have the same owned horses
    • your video does not need to show you stealing the horse, we trust each other not to use owned horses
  • start in St Denis at the south western saloon
  • buy and drink a beer or whisky
  • timing starts after you finish this drink
  • ride to the saloon in Rhodes, buy and drink another beer or whisky there
  • ride back to the other saloon in St Denis
  • buy and drink another beer or whisky
  • timing end when you finish this drink
  • save a video
  • fastest time wins
  • you may not use any horse tonics or medicine
  • you may feed your horse between runs if you wish to make consective attempts
  • you must finish your own drinks so your character throws the bottle away

Starts - now

Ends - 19:00 GMT 7th Jan

please post all videos within 48 hours of the end

Edited by djw180
  • Like 2

Banketelli

Colter can be fast traveled to. IMO that'd be a good place for a start in the snow.

As for the horses, I'm a little torn. On one hand, I'm not so keen on buying a third stable for the free Chestnut Arabian and having to spend time bonding with the fucker. On the other hand, us with the ultimate edition have quite the advantage seeing as everyone else has to be level 48 to be able to buy a horse (and for a lot of gold) that matches the one we have.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

Lann

If its too long one might just do one attempt at most. Valentine to Strawberry for example should allow for a few different paths. Down a beer in Valentine as starting point, maybe steal a horse, ride to strawberry. Could we have the option to ride the other way as well? More efficient hotlapping that way. A to B (or) B to A both valid to use.

https://www.ign.com/maps/red-dead-redemption-2/world

• Like 1

djw180
3 hours ago, Banketelli said:

Colter can be fast traveled to. IMO that'd be a good place for a start in the snow.

As for the horses, I'm a little torn. On one hand, I'm not so keen on buying a third stable for the free Chestnut Arabian and having to spend time bonding with the fucker. On the other hand, us with the ultimate edition have quite the advantage seeing as everyone else has to be level 48 to be able to buy a horse (and for a lot of gold) that matches the one we have.

Colter, I think is too far out. I don't really want people having to spend a lot just to get to the start point, but also there's nothing there or nearby to be a clear start and end point.

What type of horse did you get for the ultimate edition, is it really that much better than the Arabian?

3 hours ago, Lann said:

If its too long one might just do one attempt at most. Valentine to Strawberry for example should allow for a few different paths. Down a beer in Valentine as starting point, maybe steal a horse, ride to strawberry. Could we have the option to ride the other way as well? More efficient hotlapping that way. A to B (or) B to A both valid to use.

https://www.ign.com/maps/red-dead-redemption-2/world

My personal preference would be to start and finish in the same place, so that anyone who wants can "hot lap" it. So A to B back A. So yes Valatine  - Strawberry - Valentine would work, I think St Denis - Rhodes - St Denis would as well.

Stealing a horse is something I'd not thought of. That would certainly solve the issue of us having different horses. Do you know if those you can steal of NPCs are all the same basic type of horse?

Edited by djw180

Lann
9 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Colter, I think is too far out. I don't really want people having to spend a lot just to get to the start point, but also there's nothing there or nearby to be a clear start and end point.

What type of horse did you get for the ultimate edition, is it really that much better than the Arabian?

My personal preference would be to start and finish in the same place, so that anyone who wants can "hot lap" it. So A to B back A. So yes Valatine  - Strawberry - Valentine would work, I think St Denis - Rhodes - St Denis would as well.

Stealing a horse is something I'd not thought of. That would certainly solve the issue of us having different horses. Do you know if those you can steal of NPCs are all the same basic type of horse?

I think the racehorse from the Ultimate edition is faster than the free Arabian. Not sure what you can steal, but stealing do level the field for all.

• Like 1

Banketelli
1 hour ago, djw180 said:

Fair enough. I like the idea of being able to hot lap it.

Yeah, it's much faster. It's a Thoroughbred race horse with the same stats as the one in the stables that unlocks at lvl 51.

Stolen horses would be a good workaround. Had a quick look and could only find NPCs on Kentucky Saddlers and Tennessee Walkers. They are both in the riding category along with the Morgan breed so maybe NPCs also use that. All coats of Kentucky Saddler and Morgan have the same stats, one bar of speed more than the Tennessee Walker, so I'd go with them. Won't take anyone more than a few seconds to find one. 

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 2

djw180

@Lann @Banketelli & anyone else

If we use stolen, basic, horses I think Valentine to Strawberry is way too long. So I propose we do St. Denis - Rhodes - St. Denis. Start and finish in different salloons as St Denis has 2, not that far apart. I think that should be do-able in well under 10 minutes. I tested it one way on my own horse and it took about 3.5 minutes not really trying to get the best route (quite a bad route actually, headed through the swamp but my horse had other ideas when we ran into an alligator).

Do we allow horse tonics / medicine? Do we allow feeding the horse?

Lann

I would say no feeding/medicine or anything like that. Can we count A to B and/or B to A, hotlapping still possible but shorter ” laps”? Less risk that the horse balls up and die.

• Like 1

djw180
5 minutes ago, Lann said:

I would say no feeding/medicine or anything like that. Can we count A to B and/or B to A, hotlapping still possible but shorter ” laps”? Less risk that the horse balls up and die.

I was going to do A to B to C,  where A and C are very close together.

I don't think we can do A to B OR B to A as there will be some difference in where you start / finish.

Banketelli

I'd say no tonics at all. Especially no stamina tonic makes it much more interesting. Feeding could be allowed between laps.

• Like 1

Lann
10 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I've edited the OP with the instructions, does that look OK @Banketelli @Lann? Have I forgotten anything?

Looks good, only potential issues with starting in the bar and drinking in Rhodes is if the horse despawn.

Potential solution is to start outside on horse backed up with the hores ass up against the salon doors, and switch drinking to round the statue in Rhodes.

Edited by Lann

Banketelli
1 hour ago, Lann said:

Looks good, only potential issues with starting in the bar and drinking in Rhodes is if the horse despawn.

Potential solution is to start outside on horse backed up with the hores ass up against the salon doors, and switch drinking to round the statue in Rhodes.

58 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I'll check that out later. I was assuming if you hitch them up they'll stay.

Had a quick go. It stays outside, no need to hitch it.

Surprisingly it doesn't give you the option to feed the horse like in story mode. So no need to worry about that I guess.

Anyways, my time was 5:28. Not exactly action packed but I definitely think that having to do stamina management makes it more interesting than just smashing the X button.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

Lann

Are we allowed to switch horse in Rhodes?

Banketelli

Tried it out again. Only small improvement. 5:21ish. Hard to judge start/finish time.

Banketelli

Here's my 5:21 time. 

• Like 1