djw180

RDR2 crew challenges

djw180

I'm making this as a place for anyone who wants to discuss possible crew challenges in RDR2.

The online is only in its beta stage at the moment so I expect there will be a lot more we can do later on. For now it is quite limited, but there are certainly things we can think up to do in free roam, as Lann has done for the current challenge and from story mode as Hatch did for the previous one.

Here's a few ideas, all with one or two things need sorting out first

• free roam point to point horse time trial
    • specify a start and finish point with something to clearly time those by on a saved video, fastest time wins
      • could be something like start and finish in a saloon, buy and drink a beer, timer starts / finishes when the beer is drunk
      • actually I like the idea of a saloon crawl, fastest time to drink a beer in every saloon or some specified group of saloons?
    • possible issue is what horses to allow, we're all at different stages, some of us don't have anything apart from the standard horse you get for free
      • if most people at higher levels have kept that horse then we can say you have to use that one or one of the same type
  • enter a racing or showdown series, but score this on best performance relative to the other players
    • as far as I can see we can not choose to do a specific race or showdown
    • maybe too random, too dependant on specific job types and opponents?
  • do a specific stranger mission, fastest time wins
    • not sure how replay able these are, do some have level requirements etc 

Edited by djw180

djw180

Anyone got any thoughts on the free-roam point to point horse time trial? I am thinking of doing this for an RDR challenge over the holidays. 

To tie in with Christmas I am looking for somewhere to do this in the snow, but that might not be possible. Maybe could start and finish at a post office closest to the mountains, and you have to reach a specific, easily identifiable place and then come back.

Restricted to the Arabian horse we got for free, I think everyone should have that.

Edited by djw180

SINISTER120

I got a free Thoroughbred with better stats than the free Arabian.

• Like 1

DavidCore89
14 minutes ago, SINISTER120 said:

I got a free Thoroughbred with better stats than the free Arabian.

I used one of those in a mission yesterday, not mine, but that thing was fast!

Much better than the Chestnut Arabian.

• Like 1

Six-times Jump Rope world champion // Three-times Tic-Tac-Toe runner-up // Two-times Hopscotch world champion // Two-times Wheelbarrow Race world champion // One-time Marco Polo runner-up // One-time Musical Chairs European champion.

Owner of a 25-metre swimming badge.

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"  - Gilles Villeneuve.

SINISTER120

The not free Arabians have the proper stats, typical R*, lol.

• Like 1

Con

I wish i would have picked the thoroughbred instead of the Arabian...both were free for me so I went with the arabian cause story mode. I dont feel like paying for a 2nd stable spot at the moment but at some point will have to start building up the thoroughbred stats.

Lann

Biggest ($) single sale at the butcher, use whatever tactic you can.

• Like 1

djw180
Posted (edited)

An idea for a team challenge. Maybe for 3 players, could be more.

Form a posse and make as much money as you can by doing stranger missions or stealing other posse's carts, mail bags etc.

2 options

• money earned within a specific time limit
    • might need to be quite long, some of them can take 15 minutes or more, need a video of whole thing
  • money earned from your best few attempts done at any time
    • just need video clips, maybe just a screenshot, showing the end of the mission with the payout

Issues

• I don't have much idea about how the payouts work
    • I know you get less money if you start one too soon after completing the previous one, there's a cooldown period, but I don't know exactly how that works
    • Is the cooldown just based on who is leading the posse or if a group do it and keep changing who's posse it is does that negate the cooldown period?
      • doesn't really matter which way it is, just would be useful to know first
    • the payout seems to be linked to how long the mission should take and / or how difficult they are, but does not seem that straightforward
      • I guess not that important, it would be for each team to find he best paying missions to do
    • But the one thing that does concern me is what if the maximum payout possible is always the same and we get a number of teams that find the best missions to do, and therefore get exactly the same score
      • fastest time as tie breaker?
      • all missions show a timer don't they? 
    • is there an effect from who else is in the session? I seem to remember getting a very high payout once delivering mail when 2 other players tried to steal the bags.
  • does everyone get paid the same or does posse leader get more / less than the others?
  • does your level effect the payout?
  • could be done on XP rather than money, maybe makes no difference, I assume they are related
  • what exactly do we count as the payout?
    • some mission give you a partial payout as you complete on bit (e.g. each mail delivery) and then the main payout at the end
    • so do we just count the main one at the end or add up all the others (if there are any)
    • if we add up all the others we could also include looting any NPCs that attack you
      • getting more complicated this way though

I'll have a look around for more info but posting this now in case someone already knows.

Also I will try to keep track of what I get doing these over the next few days, see if I can answer any of the above. If anyone else can do this or has already, do please let me know what you find / found.

We usually do some form of team crew challenge around the crew anniversary, this might be something to do for that this year.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

djw180

The only other information for online stranger missions I can find is wrong / out of date / not for PS4.

https://www.rdr2.org/guides/online-stranger-missions-guide/

It refers to you getting different types of mission depending on what your honour is. Says if you're in the red you only get missions that decrease honour, if you're in the white you only get mission that increase honour. That is not correct. For me at least the effect on your honour for each mission depends on which stranger gives it. There's no details of payouts, XP rates there anyway.

Everything else I find when searching for stranger missions is just about how you used to be able to get solo sessions from them or refers to the story mode missions.

Maybe it's worth us putting together something on this. I'll post in the RDR2 online section.

djw180

Ideas for the next RDR challenge?

Lann's 'biggest single sale at the Butchers' has become the ongoing Butcher of the Year.

My idea for a team based stranger missions challenge I think needs to wait until stranger missions and posses are consistently working properly. There are just too may problems with people being unable to posse up and missions not starting or only starting for some of the posse.

I really do not want us to do a free roam killing challenge when there are no options for anything like passive mode or invite-only lobby for players who do not want to get into fights.

Is there something we can do combat based using the showdown series? I haven't played them that much and not really liked those I have. But maybe a challenge could be based on scores or number of kills in one of these? But again the problem is at the moment we can't choose which jobs to play, just have to join a series and hope for the best.

Racing, same problem as above in not being able to choose, plus I think who else you get to race against, do they race clean or not, will have too much of an effect. Also there's the standard of horses; we are no where near being at the stage where a majority of us can all use the best horses.

So what can we do?

• We could do the stranger missions but as a solo challenge, so at least the posse problems do not matter and on your own if a mission does not start you can always do something else for a bit (less of an issue than if you have to arrange with one or two other players to be in-game at the same time).
  • Clear a gang hideout, most XP wins, fastest time as tie breaker. You save a video starting with showing your current XP. Timer starts with your first kill. Timer ends when the gang hideout cleared message appears, video continues to show your new total XP.
    • any gang hideout will do
    • any weapons you like
  • Any other ideas?

Lann

Most players killed in one dynamite blast. 

Tie: look at each second, third best blast and so on..

Inspired by this:

Edited by Lann
  • Like 1

JustHatched

Could do something like fastest to ride from Tumbleweed to St. Denis. Have video from exact start to end (pics taken before hand of the start and finish point) and since video is exact start and end then the video length time will be the official time.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it!!

default_swhatever7.gif

pete_95973
11 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Could do something like fastest to ride from Tumbleweed to St. Denis. Have video from exact start to end (pics taken before hand of the start and finish point) and since video is exact start and end then the video length time will be the official time.

This is a good idea. You could throw some twists into it also like you have to kill at least one player on the way without dying. 

Or you have to steal $2 or more from NPCs on the way without dying. 

• Like 1

djw180

@Lann I really do not want to do any player killing challenges until there is a way for people who don't want to be killed to play without the risk of that, like passive mode or solo lobbies in GTA. Can you can think of a way that would restrict this to just killing players who are clearly up for a fight? Also I'm not sure how popular that challenge would be. I think we need to be sure of at least half a dozen or so wanted to give it a go. I would find it very difficult and could predict now what my score would be 0 ;)

@JustHatched We've already tried a challenge to race between fixed points and only 2 of us posted times. So like the above, can we be sure enough people would give it a go? It was over Christmas last time so maybe that meant people who would have tried it were doing other stuff? If we do try this sort of thing again I think it has to be a much shorter route than Tumbleweed to St Denis. If people have to submit a video I think 10 to 15 minutes is the maximum we can expect. For example with my internet it can take nearly an hour to upload a 10 minute video, and then it sometimes fails part way through.  Then there is the issue of horses. Last time we said you had to steal a basic horse from a NPC / off the street, so that no one had an advantage due to their level or the horse they got for free. Many more of us have access to better horses now as we've levelled up, but we still need to think about whether we'd restrict what horses can be used.

Thanks for the input and to be clear I am not saying no to either of those ideas, but there's things to think about first.

Edited by djw180
  • Like 1

Lann

Butcher sell: no time limit, 3 dynamite sticks to use. One sell.

• Like 1

Banketelli

Maybe something like having the longest wanted level.

Could be limited to St. Denis, having to be/stay on horseback throughout and no tonics or food. That way we shouldn't get some insanely long times posted. Or maybe we would.

Simpler idea. First to kill 50 lawmen. Everything allowed. St. Denis would probably still be the location as they spawn faster there than any other place.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

Banketelli

Another idea. A race to collect ingrediens for 3 different tonics and then get to a fire and craft them.

Not really sure where the different herbs are located but hopefully it could be done without having to travel huge distances.

I don't remember ever buying a tonic and I have the potent bitters, special miracle tonic, potent miracle tonic, potent health cure and potent snake oil available. 

• Like 1

Pb76

Most kills in two minutes? Any Npc, animal or other (none crew) player is fair game

• Like 2

djw180
On 2/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, Banketelli said:

Simpler idea. First to kill 50 lawmen. Everything allowed. St. Denis would probably still be the location as they spawn faster there than any other place.

I'm thinking of something like this for the next one. A problem would be how do you know when you've killed 50? I don't think I could keep count as I went along. What about killing the most lawmen in a specific time limit? That should be simple to time with a clock as you do it. Save a video showing your General stats page where it says number of law killed before your first kill and again after 10 minutes are up so it's clear what your score is. Time starts with first kill. We can check through videos and always deduct any kills that happened after 10 minutes.

Any restrictions on weapons?

Must be on horse back? What if you fall off and a kill registers before you get back on? Maybe simpler to say you must be at street level either on horse back or on foot (to rule out going onto the roofs).

Banketelli
6 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I'm thinking of something like this for the next one. A problem would be how do you know when you've killed 50? I don't think I could keep count as I went along. What about killing the most lawmen in a specific time limit? That should be simple to time with a clock as you do it. Save a video showing your General stats page where it says number of law killed before your first kill and again after 10 minutes are up so it's clear what your score is. Time starts with first kill. We can check through videos and always deduct any kills that happened after 10 minutes.

Must be on horse back? What if you fall off and a kill registers before you get back on? Maybe simpler to say you must be at street level either on horse back or on foot (to rule out going onto the roofs).

Sounds good. Whether rooftops are allowed or not. Easier to stay alive up there but I don't think you can gather as many kills as if you hunt down the lawmen on the ground.

Don't think there should be any restrictions on weapons.

• Like 1

Banketelli
28 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Thinking some more about it, I'd actually say allow rooftops. Don't see a clear advantage, maybe there is. But it should be interesting to see different tactics play out. Some going on horse back, some  roaming the streets on foot and others staying up high.

Any specific time limit in mind?

What about tonics/food?

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

djw180
4 hours ago, Banketelli said:

Thinking some more about it, I'd actually say allow rooftops. Don't see a clear advantage, maybe there is. But it should be interesting to see different tactics play out. Some going on horse back, some  roaming the streets on foot and others staying up high.

Any specific time limit in mind?

What about tonics/food?

Rooftops OK then, basically no restrictions on where you can go.

I think 5 minutes should be enough, allows for more attempts and minimises upload problems.

Not sure about tonics and food. I wasn't planning on penalising dieing, you can't get kills when dead & respawning so I think that should be penalty enough. So I'd be inclined to say tonics and food are OK as well. But I'll let you make the final decision if you want to change that, it's your basic idea.

• Like 1

Banketelli
10 minutes ago, djw180 said:

I think 5 minutes should be enough, allows for more attempts and minimises upload problems.

Not sure about tonics and food. I wasn't planning on penalising dieing, you can't get kills when dead & respawning so I think that should be penalty enough. So I'd be inclined to say tonics and food are OK as well. But I'll let you make the final decision if you want to change that, it's your basic idea.

It sounds good to me. Everything allowed makes it as simple as possible.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

pete_95973
1 hour ago, djw180 said:

Sounds fun

• Like 1