Jump to content
JustHatched

So what is your preferred auto maker

Recommended Posts

JustHatched

I looked thinking this had been asked but I guys it hasn't, but what/who is your preferred auto maker, should be interesting as around here you are either for Chevy, Ford or Dodge but with other countries involved might be some stuff some have never heard of. Also add why you like that over others.

I am a Chevy guy (well, really Pontiac but that hasn't been viable for a long time), it's what I grew up with, always suped up 350's and 427's, even stroked out a 283 once, that was a good running little motor. Dad would have shot me if I brought home anything without a bowtie emblem.

I have had 3 Ford's in my life, never had issue with them (except the Mustang) but if the price wasn't right I wouldn't have bought them.


The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it!!

default_swhatever7.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zmurko

Most of the german ones (except VW and BMW, mostly because of the drivers that drive them here), as they just ... WORK and are well made, but I'm not really picky to be honest. Not really a fan of Italian cars, as they usually DON'T work :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silenttigercd

I really like BMWs at the moment, especially the 5 series. My love began a few years ago with this M5, modified by Hamann:

bmw-m5-hamann-08.jpg

I'm a big fan of German engineering, the size of the 5 series (I'm 6'4" and 19 stone), and generally love high performance saloon cars (sedans). 

I test drove a couple of BMWs a few years ago, they didn't let me use any particularly fast ones but I loved the feel of them. Very solid and comfortable. Some of the new models look incredible too.

I'm planning to buy a car in the near future and really want a BMW. Definitely can't afford to buy, or run, an M5 but may be able to stretch to a standard model:

BMW%205%20Series_E60%20(7).jpg

@zmurko I also like VWs, especially the Golf R32 :lol: Yes, I'm one of those drivers!

c62741cfc0def90e5fbfc09315974acd.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ninja

I don't just like 1. I like ford, vw, subaru, nissan (only for the GTR obviously)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fido_le_muet
1 hour ago, zmurko said:

Most of the german ones (except VW and BMW, mostly because of the drivers that drive them here)

I'm the same ! I hate those BMW drivers ! They're always driving like assholes, they park like assholes, they're alone on the road, they have discutable taste in tuning (to say the least)...

VW drivers are the same, but toned down a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zztop911

I bleed Ford Blue! My tractors were Ford. My dump truck was a Ford. All my race cars were Fords. The national drag race series, Fun Ford Weekend, that I ran for 6 seasons was only for Fords.The only new non-Ford vehicle I've bought was a Dodge Durango for my Mom.

I've built nonFord cars and engines for other people, but I just can't bring myself to build one for me.

  • Like 2

Welcome to the nuthouse or the slaughter house................it.just depends!

You never know what's going to happen, but rest assured, it's gonna be fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ronin

Apart from the really really sh*tty asian car brands, I can't think of any that I don't like. All car makers have made some brilliant models and engines and chassis' throughout their history. Some more then others, but still. I quite like them all regardless.

Overall, Audi is probably my favourite. The Rally Group B Quattro from back in the days, the S8, the RS4 and RS6 ... and then there's the enginges. Nothing more sexy then the sound of a high revving high powered Audi block, especially the 8-cilinders. That's just pure poetry.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silenttigercd
6 minutes ago, ronin said:

I also like Audi's (I accidentally made this post and don't have anything else to add) 

Edited by silenttigercd
I'm an idiot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBoyBry
7 minutes ago, ronin said:

All car makers have made some brilliant models and engines and chassis' throughout their history. Some more then others, but still. I quite like them all regardless.

 

Thats how I feel about cars. I'm not really into modern stuff. Never been a fan of BMWs (except 2002 Tii).

I have a huge long list of vehicles I'd love to own - all pre 1990 though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiteford99

Here is a hint, I was born in the back seat of a '65 Mustang. I have owned at least one of every big brand out there, but Ford is the only one I love.

As to why, look around, what are the majority of the tow trucks? Ambulances? Police cars? If it simply HAS to work, day in and day out, Ford seems to be the only option.

Dodge has the Cummins, GM uses the Allison, which are both awesome options, but Ford has the whole package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dodge

There's a soft spot in my heart for Dodge and Mopar.  But I work in the auto industry. All cars are really the same anymore. Germans have some solid engineering. American cars have really nice creature comforts. Asian cars have reliability. There's something for everybody.

I work for BMW now. I can say that nothing drives like a BMW. Nothing breaks like one either. But there is always something coming around the bend that will change the auto industry forever. Right now, I think Ford is making the best medium market vehicle. 

Best entry level car is the Hyundai Elantra.

Entry level luxury car, it's hard to beat the Audi A3. 

Best luxury car would have to be the BMW 750i. 

Muscle car is Mustang GT350

Minivan is, and always will be the Grand Caravan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FragTrap666

Self-explanatory. : DOWN :

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skip_rat

I've had a hell of a lot if cars over the years, but my current favourite is SAAB. I know they don't exist any more but it's the older models I like anyway, the engines are bulletproof and really easy to tune.

I quite like old Jaguars too, but I dislike the crappy build quality and tendency to rust.

Edited by skip_rat
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G37

I've been fortunate enough to drive a variety of cars since I was old enough to have a license.

My first car was a 1999 Chevy Lumina that my grandfather passed down. Eventually that broke down and I've been in a number of things since. INFINITI became one of my favorite makes back when they first really made a splash against the German competition in 2004 with the G35. It was essentially a less refined, just as powerful and less expensive alternative to the acclaimed BMW 3 Series. It made noise for years to come. I was lucky enough to own a G37 for 4 years (lease) and that's where this name came from. Was the car I drove at the time and still probably one of my all time favorite vehicles. The now Q50 (stupid nomenclature) has the mechanical backing to represent the gorgeous sheetmetal it got a year ago (for a much higher price tag though).

I now drive a 2015 Mercedes C300. They've come a long way and they're easily my favorite of the Germans, even surpassing my once strong desire to eventually own an M3. One day I will own a C63 AMG. One day.

So in short:

If I always had a lot money to support it (likely won't/got a really good lease): Mercedes

If I didn't: Infiniti or Acura

If I really didn't: Mazda or Nissan

And if you couldn't tell, I do NOT prefer domestic brands or vehicles. There's a few exceptions but those are single models like the Cadillac ATS/CTS

Edited by G37

: FIRE :

 

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SINISTER120

They all have their good and bad. I'm a gear head and love anything automotive. I've owned all from the big 3. The worst was a Ford Fusion and because of that I will never buy another one. Our driveway is currently full of Chevrolet vehicles. They are new and fully warranted which is all I need these days.

ZZ, Ford may have the whole package but there is a small diesel garage close to my house and the half acre lot is packed full of broken Ford trucks ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidCore89

Ford. However I dislike their large(r) US vehicles except the F-Series truck.

I like European Fords from the late 70's, 80's and 90's, I have soft spot for the mostly original XR and RS models of the Fiesta, Escort, Capri and Sierra.

Currently restoring a '92 Fiesta XR2i, it'll cost more to restore than it'd be worth, but I love the car.

To most they're pieces of junk, but they get the right attention from the right kinda people.

New cars are of course safer, better equipped and easier to drive due to ABS, power steering, etc, but they lack some of the fun.

Audi are probably my favourite manufacturer of modern cars, we have an A1 S-line... Well, technically it belongs to the Mrs.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

Six-times Jump Rope world champion // Three-times Tic-Tac-Toe runner-up // Two-times Hopscotch world champion // Two-times Wheelbarrow Race world champion // One-time Marco Polo runner-up // One-time Musical Chairs European champion.

Owner of a 25-metre swimming badge.

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"  - Gilles Villeneuve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiteford99
4 hours ago, SINISTER120 said:

 

ZZ, Ford may have the whole package but there is a small diesel garage close to my house and the half acre lot is packed full of broken Ford trucks ;)

True, after the 7.3, Navistar screwed Ford hard with the next two engines. So Ford made its own, the Scorpion, now it rivals the mighty Cummins. It  was the EPA that caused the modern diesels to all suffer, stupid emissions equipment that has no business on a diesel. You simply can't put egr on a diesel, which is why Caterpillar quit making on road diesel engines. They wouldn't sell a flawed design. I won't own an epa castrated diesel, my big Fords have v-10s, sure, they get horrible fuel mileage, but they run good, and for a long time. My virginal v-10 has 178k, while my veteran is over 350k. They only need oil/filter changes, and spark plugs. I said Ford had the full package because they don't have flawed frame and front suspension of the Dodge, or the electrical gremlins of the GMs. The perfect heavy duty truck would be a Ford Super Duty with a mechanical 12v Cummins and the Allison from the Chevy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiteford99

Am I opinionated? You bet your ass, but I got that way from owning my own repair shop, and running a tow service. Truth is, everything breaks down. I love Fords, so I tend to overlook the small problems, while pointing out the exact same problems on other vehicles. I dare say every brand loyal enthusiast is the same way.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a loyalist, because there are a lot of good cars out there that I will never give a chance, because they don't wear a blue oval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SINISTER120

Heavy Diesel mechanic for over 20 years. More than familiar with just how badly emissions regulations have strangled the industry. Piss poor MPG, less power, less longevity, etc. Hated to see my favorite engines (CAT) leave the highway side of things.

I don't mess with the little stuff very often. The occasional powerstroke oil leak and other minor things. Class 8 trucks, Dumps, Buses, etc are what I deal with daily. 

The 12v is a nice engine though :)

Edited by SINISTER120
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zztop911
On 5/28/2016 at 3:02 PM, Whiteford99 said:

True, after the 7.3, Navistar screwed Ford hard with the next two engines. So Ford made its own, the Scorpion, now it rivals the mighty Cummins. It  was the EPA that caused the modern diesels to all suffer, stupid emissions equipment that has no business on a diesel. You simply can't put egr on a diesel, which is why Caterpillar quit making on road diesel engines. They wouldn't sell a flawed design. I won't own an epa castrated diesel, my big Fords have v-10s, sure, they get horrible fuel mileage, but they run good, and for a long time. My virginal v-10 has 178k, while my veteran is over 350k. They only need oil/filter changes, and spark plugs. I said Ford had the full package because they don't have flawed frame and front suspension of the Dodge, or the electrical gremlins of the GMs. The perfect heavy duty truck would be a Ford Super Duty with a mechanical 12v Cummins and the Allison from the Chevy.

Pure stupidity of EPA..........EGR on a diesel!

Pure stupidity of Navistar .............Stupidly narrow coolant passages on oil cooler on 6.0............and the 6.4 engine.

  • Like 1

Welcome to the nuthouse or the slaughter house................it.just depends!

You never know what's going to happen, but rest assured, it's gonna be fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiteford99

That, and the lightly cast aluminium manifold on a bi-turbo. Seen more than one melt.

Actually spent more time on big engines than automotive.  Had 6 CAT 773, and 2 CAT 777 haul trucks to maintain at the quarry I was the maintenance supervisor at.

8 CAT 980 loaders,2 988s and the crown jewel, a 992G long arm.

Don't get me started on d.e.f. or the stupidity of dpf. 9k for a filter that is a standard service item? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustHatched
On 5/28/2016 at 8:35 AM, G37 said:

I've been fortunate enough to drive a variety of cars since I was old enough to have a license.

My first car was a 1999 Chevy Lumina that my grandfather passed down. Eventually that broke down and I've been in a number of things since. INFINITI became one of my favorite makes back when they first really made a splash against the German competition in 2004 with the G35. It was essentially a less refined, just as powerful and less expensive alternative to the acclaimed BMW 3 Series. It made noise for years to come. I was lucky enough to own a G37 for 4 years (lease) and that's where this name came from. Was the car I drove at the time and still probably one of my all time favorite vehicles. The now Q50 (stupid nomenclature) has the mechanical backing to represent the gorgeous sheetmetal it got a year ago (for a much higher price tag though).

I now drive a 2015 Mercedes C300. They've come a long way and they're easily my favorite of the Germans, even surpassing my once strong desire to eventually own an M3. One day I will own a C63 AMG. One day.

So in short:

If I always had a lot money to support it (likely won't/got a really good lease): Mercedes

If I didn't: Infiniti or Acura

If I really didn't: Mazda or Nissan

And if you couldn't tell, I do NOT prefer domestic brands or vehicles. There's a few exceptions but those are single models like the Cadillac ATS/CTS

Kind of the high dollar kind of guy aren't ya? Spoiled bitch :P

 

  • Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it!!

default_swhatever7.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G37
13 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Kind of the high dollar kind of guy aren't ya? Spoiled bitch :P

 

Newer things more often. That's what the world of leasing gets you. I'd never, ever be able to afford that kind of thing otherwise lol.

Unless I was okay with ownership of older vehicles of that brand, which I'm sort of considering when this lease is up. I've always wanted this car again except in Type S guise:

tumblr_m15639x1dE1r4oh7vo1_1280.jpg

The 2007-08 TL was the last good car Acura made IMO. And the Type-S variant is rather uncommon/difficult to find.

 

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

 

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dodge
17 minutes ago, G37 said:

Newer things more often. That's what the world of leasing gets you. I'd never, ever be able to afford that kind of thing otherwise lol.

Unless I was okay with ownership of older vehicles of that brand, which I'm sort of considering when this lease is up. I've always wanted this car again except in Type S guise:

tumblr_m15639x1dE1r4oh7vo1_1280.jpg

The 2007-08 TL was the last good car Acura made IMO. And the Type-S variant is rather uncommon/difficult to find.

 

You don't seem like much of a Honda guy to me...

Good call with the Merc. Really nice cars. But if you want a drivers car, get a Bimmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fido_le_muet

Owned 4 cars since I have my license.

First was a Citroën (never again), the rest have been Fiestas. I've grown to love them. Great little car, fun to drive despite the small engine. 

I dream to have a Fiesta RS one day. Sounds like a blast to drive. 

Even bigger dream would be a Focus RS. And even bigger would be a Ford GT.

And I'm sorry @Dodge but BMW drivers are asshats :P

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PapOiteE

Renault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...