djw180

non-racing Crew Challenges

djw180    2,997

Hi crew,

I just wanted to throw some ideas out for future crew challenges and take some suggestions if anyone has them. Most of the challenges I have set (and most of those before I took over I think) are races. That's because it's simple to set a race and see who the winner is. But not everyone is into racing and there are other things we can do for a challenge. However those other things are quite limited. For me a crew challenge has to be something that a someone can do on their own at a time of their choosing. So when we have team challenges, activities that require two or more team members to be playing at the same time are ruled out, especially considering we are split up not only by different time zones but two different consoles.

Non-racing challenges I have already set are Parachuting and Golf and I certainly intend having more of those at some point. Other non-racing challenges that have been set in the past include the Shooting Range and free-roam Player Killing. I plan on doing both of those again at some point as well.

So what else can we do?

I'm just going to list a few ideas. This obviously isn't poll. I'd just like some feedback on what you think of them.

A. First is one suggested by Lan. We have discussed this with a couple of other people and we all agree there could be problems. But I thought I'd include it here to see what you think. The challenge is to make a new job, publish it and get as many people as you can to play it, in a week. Scoring would be based on some combination of number of plays and number of likes. Issues we have identified with this include needing a decent amount of preparation time, difference in numbers of PS3 and PS4 players, and the fact a PS3 job can be played on PS4 but not vice versa.

B. Grand Theft Auto. Steal cars, take snapmatic photos of them in a specified location to prove it. Winner is whoever gets the most different cars in a week. Alternatively it could be scored by the total price you get for selling them, that way also limits how many you can get as you can only sell a car to LS Customs every 40 minutes (I think).

C. Darts. I would love to set this as a challenge, but the problem is scoring it. There is no result screen you can take a picture of like those you get for a race, parachute jump etc. So if it were done we would be relying not only on everyone being honest (which I don't see as a problem) but us remembering exactly how many darts we took to finish each leg before that information disappears from the screen.

D. XDBX vs The World. The idea for this is you take part in some in-game activity with non-crew members. If you win you get a point for everyone else you beat. It could be a race, death match, tennis, arm wrestling, etc. Anything where there is a result screen clearly showing you winning and how many non-crew you beat would count. There would probably need to be some maximum number of points per event to account for PS3 / PS4 differences and some events would get more points based on how long they take, e.g. 1 tennis win ought to count more than beating 1 player in a lap of Criminal Records.

E. Non-standard races. These are races, but with a difference. Like the domesticathlons we have had in the past. These are races set to GTA mode where you are required to leave your starting vehicle and run/swim/parachute and/or get in another randomly spawned vehicle. I have a couple of these planned already, one is a triathlon (has been done before I think) the other involves driving a bike off a very high ramp/mountain and parachuting through the remaining check points.

Adding more in here as they get suggested

F. DM vs randoms. Pick a R* DM. Everyone does this, invites randoms. Record your score at the end. We could do this how many kills you get, how many players you beat, etc

G. Survivals. Play survivals solo. Points are scored for how many you complete, (or how many levels you survive if not all 10?) on different ones.

H. Contact mission. Play a CM solo, fastest time to complete it wins.

I. Gang Attacks. I just thought about this. There must be a way to make these into a challenge. Maybe scores are the number of headshots you get? Could be a list of specified gang attacks or let everyone choose their own (no repeating the same one)

J. Something based on stats from RSC, e.g. kills, specific weapon kills, police / NOOSE kills, police cars stolen etc.

K. Stunt jumps

L. Flight school

So there's a few ideas. What do you think?

Cheers,

DJ

Edited by djw180

Skorpion    1,772

Id love to do a darts challenge. There may not be a score screen at the end, but scores are on the side of the board throughout the match I believe. Screenshot those. The problem I see with that challenge is the activity requires 2 players, and any time Ive tried to launch a darts match, I cant get anybody, including randoms. Id very much like to do this one though.

I also like the sound of the Grand Theft Auto and Non-Standard Race challenges.

i love playing darts, but finding someone who wants to do it is sometimes a problem but if its a challenge im sure we can get pairs interested, i also like the idea of d. my favorite thing to do is TDM'S but setting a challenge involving them would be difficult i think

zmurko    6,495

my favorite thing to do is TDM'S but setting a challenge involving them would be difficult i think

how about we pick a R* map, agree on all the rules, set it to normal mode and whoever gets the most kills in 5mins wins the challenge?

rules that would probably need to be set: time of day, traffic, health bars, ..., should you only get randoms in, min and/or max number of other players etc, to get everyone on as level playing field as possible.

randoms skill level remains a variable of course.

Squirrel    4,280

I like the idea of the creator challenge, it will be good to encourage more of the crew to try their hand at making jobs. We would also be able to use them all in a playlist at the end of the week.

Would need some ground rules though, when you republish a job, the date it shows is the latest published date and not the original published date. I could in theory republish an existing job which doesn't reset the plays count. You would need to post a screenshot of the job as it is created showing 0 plays.

Also anytime you play a job yourself it adds to the total count so you could host a self created race by yourself all week long and get a substantial number of plays just by yourself.

Scoring on likes could be one way of getting a more accurate response as you can only like a job once. The downside of this is that multiple round captures and LTS are glitched when it comes to registering likes.

Protocawl    1,466

I don't think A is a very good idea, it seems like it would rush people to come up with something and... IDK, just doesn't feel like it would work out well.

B is a nice idea, finding as many different cars as possible. The selling part is a bit bad I think, you can't take an in-game pic of that and it would mean a lot of extra phone/camera pictures as proof. I'd stick with the same sort of process that has been used in the free-roam killing challenges - write the name (of the car) and take a snapmatic pic of it. Also, if you were to get points for selling them, it would really be a huge step away from doing the challenge whenever you want/have time to do it. You could find a new car on the streets, but can't sell it, cause you just sold one. Some players might only be able to sell 1 car a day that way if their playtime is limited, whereas others who have much more time to play every day could sell a lot more each day.

C - Darts does have that scoring proof problem, but would make an interesting challenge. If I remember correctly, you can play darts alone, too. Only tennis and arm wrestling need 2 players to start. (?)

I'll get back to you on D :D

E - I really like those, personally.

Edited by Protocawl

LN-MLB    3,097

The survival challenge DC mentioned would probably work well. You could also try for the fastest times running a specific contact mission solo.

I'll think about this while I'm at work today and see if I can think of anything else.

I do love darts, but yeah, it may be difficult to set it up in a crew challenge format.

Jaggy    3,276

You can play darts solo.  It's a 1-2 player game.  It just depends how you would want to set up the crew challenge to score off of that.  The score board is on the left hand side during the match.  So it would need to be screenshot with how many darts it took to finish the round.

I think the created job one will be flawed.  I have a PS3, so I could make my job on PS3 and host it on both PS3/PS4 to get more plays/likes.  Unless you had specific rules to avoid stuff like that, it could cause some issues.

My favorite team challenges so far have been parachuting.

I like your idea for D.  Finding randoms can be quite a challenge for darts, tennis, or arm wrestling though.

Beez    3,844

I like option E, I was actually thinking about how much fun the last one was today.

Solo survival or contact mission sounds fun.

A photography challenge could also be fun. I'll try to think of a few ideas for this.

djw180    2,997

Thanks everyone. :)

Great feedback and suggestions. Keep them coming.

I've updated the first post with the other ideas.

I'll have go a darts again to check exactly what the score board shows. It can definitely be done solo, well it can on PS3 anyway. When I looked into this a while ago it seemed to me the scoreboard didn't show enough information.

Edited by djw180

djw180    2,997

OK I have had a look into a couple of the suggestions.

As I feared there are problems with keeping track of the scores with darts. The score card along side the dartboard only shows your reducing score, so when you score nothing it does not show up. That of course can often happen when trying to get the final double. The next big problem is the instant you hit that wining double the score card disappears. It also only records the current leg and if you take too many turns it starts a new score card. So if we did this it would need everyone to keep careful track of their own scores and not able to post any screenshots of it.

For contact missions the scores table at the end does not show how long the mission took. It just shows kills, deaths, RP and cash. I don't know enough about how the RP and cash are worked out to know if they could be used to score the mission for a challenge. I know RS changed the payouts so that taking longer over a mission increased the cash, but there's a limit to that effect, I think, and other factors presumably effect the payout as well. I'll do some more investigation into this.

Edited by djw180

Lann    4,315

Hatchet kills. Rsc stats, the most kills during The week.

Could be applied to any weapon i guess.

Edited by Lann3

djw180    2,997

Hatchet kills. Rsc stats, the most kills during The week.

Could be applied to any weapon i guess.

Do the kills count as PvP only though or kills against NPC's too.

What actually shows up on RSC? I hardly ever refer to the stats there. I've had a quick look but I can't see where it shows kills.

Squirrel    4,280

My stats showing at the moment are for my 2nd character but on there I have 1,677 kills.  Of those 821 are player kills but the total number of kills in the weapon area adds up to 1,300 so have to assume that the weapons stats include NPC's too. 

djw180    2,997

I've found the stats, but I'm not sure I trust them. The ones for the creator are clearly wrong for me. It says I have published 4 deathmatches, 89 races, 1 capture and 0 LTS, actual figures are 1, 16, 0 and 1. Also is does appear to be just for your current character.

But if some of them are accurate there's few could be used for a weekly challenge (NOOSE killed, cops cars stolen?). It would require everyone to get a screen shot of the stats at the beginning and end of the challenge.

djw180    2,997

I am thinking about the survival one. I do like the idea of that. It would be something for the shooters rather than the racers. We just have to rely on honesty to say how many have been completed. I don't think there is a result screen with the name of the mission and your score, as there is for contact missions. But I'm OK with that. All you get is a screen saying either complete or failed with how many levels passed, and it disappears quite quickly.

So how best to do this?

If two or more people complete them all what do we use as a tie break? If no one completes them all then total number of levels passed would an obvious tie break.

Do we want to do them all, does anyone have the time and inclination to attempt them all in a week? Could work as a team challenge then one person only needs to do half of them.

Maybe I make it a requirement that you post on the challenge thread when you have completed one. Then in the event of a tie for all completed who ever did it first wins.

-----------------------------------------

I have looked into the scoring of contact missions as well. I replayed blow-up 3 (simple and quick to test, not suggesting this as one to do for a challenge) a couple of times and it seems that the RP and cash you get does simply increase the longer you take. So for a challenge it could be who ever completes it with the lowest RP and/or cash. But is there are a minimum it won't go below no matter how quick you are? I'll make some more attempts and see if I can answer that.

-------------------------------------

Deathmatch challenge

I don't know too much about DMs, but a couple of RS / RSverfied ones I  think might work are,

Canals http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/lOO4BOiWNkuJzipB97FetA

Downtown http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/ZAjNOHvRxkuuv3SQUT24gQ

Sonuva beach http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/oaetIPdLSEaA22QBfEcw7A

Edited by djw180

LN-MLB    3,097

I'm almost 100% sure that the weapon stats factor in NPC kills.  I added all of mine up and I have 48,993+ total kills, but 33.3K total players killed.  Plus there are some weapons that have numbers that I honestly cannot remember using on other players.

I also believe there is a minimum on how much you make during a specific contact mission.  It used to be that way in the old days and I believe there is an old topic somewhere that indicates the payout for each, but that would be long outdated in regards to the amount you actually receive.  However, I believe it is still the same in regards to there being a set base amount which will increase depending on the time it takes to complete and perhaps how many players are involved (but I have yet to confirm this one).

Another idea that I thought about were the Stunt Jumps.  I have completed them all, but you can still do them and it will tell you whether or not you passed or failed.  I suppose the only way to verify it would be to take a quick picture of the screen when the attempt has completed, but that could be a serious task and a lot of pictures.

Would there be anything that could be done with the Flight School feature?  I dropped out because I'm a shit pilot, but I know that awards (gold, silver, bronze) are given for each segment.  Perhaps the person with the highest percentage of gold medals for each specific segment within a week would work.  I'm not sure how this would work if you already have the highest possible medals in each category, but a screenshot could be completed upon earning the medal and unlike the stunt jump idea, there wouldn't be nearly as many and it would be easier to obtain.

djw180    2,997

Would there be anything that could be done with the Flight School feature?  I dropped out because I'm a shit pilot, but I know that awards (gold, silver, bronze) are given for each segment.  Perhaps the person with the highest percentage of gold medals for each specific segment within a week would work.  I'm not sure how this would work if you already have the highest possible medals in each category, but a screenshot could be completed upon earning the medal and unlike the stunt jump idea, there wouldn't be nearly as many and it would be easier to obtain.

Great minds think alike ;)  I was just wondering about that myself.

I think the contact mission idea is worth a try with the lowest RP and payment winning. If there is a minimum and two or more people achieve it then I'm sure I can think of some kind of tie breaker. Maybe combine it with something else that is highly unlikely to produce a tie.

Edited by djw180

Squirrel    4,280

With the contact mission challenges would there be any specific method we're not allowed to use, such as in cleaning the cat house you can just climb into a chopper, land on the roof and fly away with the girl without even firing a shot.

It would have to be one that is accesible from the menu too so we're not waiting for a call.

I do like the idea of this challenge though, I remember in the early days grinding Coveted a lot as it was a big pay out. We were managing to do it in around 3:30-4 minutes and had it down to a T. 

Would these be solo challenges or could you pair up with someone? Los Santos Connection would be great for a team challenge although it can be done solo.

Just thought of something that would effect scoring, depending on difficulty the payout is changed. If we had them all set to easy then the payout for a 4 minute mission would be considerably less than if it was set to hard for the same completion time. This would make it seem like the easy setting was quicker. 

Edited by Squirrel_Army

djw180    2,997

With the contact mission challenges would there be any specific method we're not allowed to use, such as in cleaning the cat house you can just climb into a chopper, land on the roof and fly away with the girl without even firing a shot.

It would have to be one that is accesible from the menu too so we're not waiting for a call.

What I was thinking of was,

Solo mission (otherwise I think it's too difficult for everyone to find a partner on same console and timezone) but we could do it as a team challenge with different mission each.

Set to hard

No Pegasus vehicles (in case not everyone has them)

other than that you start it from where ever you think is best, use whatever vehicle, weapons you want

It would be either a mission we can start from the menu, or making use of a playlist that is still available  from when you could add contact missions to them. I'm sure I saw playlists for grinding Coveted and Pot Shot from someone in the crew.

Cleaning out the Cat House and Coveted would both be good for this I think. Others may be Chopper Tail, Titan of a Job, any more?

Edited by djw180

Squirrel    4,280

Setting to Hard won't work as it would be too easy to run it on Easy or Normal and get a lower result in terms of RP and $$.

It defaults to Normal so it could be quite easy to forget to change it to Hard and post an inaccurate result. 

How would we police the use of pegasus vehicles too? PS4 users can post video's of their runs if needed but not as easy for PS3 members. Another factor is draw rates. Coveted on PS4 is easier than PS3 as you can see further with the sniper rifle. 

I seem to be thinking of potential problems all the time but good to get them sorted beforehand.

Another issue is where you start the job from. Sometimes it starts you from your current location when you start the job, others from a pre-determined starting point. I know Titan of a Job always starts you by Lesters warehouse. Trash Talk always starts you at Madrazo's house. 

I think the starting position depends on if you either select from the menu or if it is given to you over the phone. Could be worth confirming as this will affect the time taken to do a job. 

Edited by Squirrel_Army

djw180    2,997

Yes, we can just trust each other to play by the rules. But setting this to normal level may be best to avoid anyone accidentally not changing it to hard.

djw180    2,997

Thinking about another non-racing challenge.

The Contact Mission did not work that well due to the way RP is worked out with respect to time taken. Rather than every extra second taken to do the mission altering RP slightly it seems to just go up in fixed amounts of RP for every 2 minutes taken. So one person could do the mission 1:59 faster than someone else, and still get exactly the same RP.

Survivals. The problem here, like the Darts, is no final score screen to be photographed or just remembered. All we could do is rely on everyone being honest (no problem there I hope) and just say who can complete the most solo or if not complete how many rounds survived. But what if more than one person completes the same number? How do we break the tie?

Deathmatch. I think this should work. I / we pick a RS created or RS verified DM (so that there's a better chance of randoms joining). Each player hosts this on default settings as a DM for a set time and invites randoms. Highest number of kills wins, (K/D ratio as tie break?). Repeat it as many times as you want in the week. It's the single best DM result that counts.

Grand Theft Auto. i.e. steal cars, take them to a specified location, take a snapmatic photo, provide link to that on the challenge thread. Whoever gets the most different cars wins. A problem is the more in-game time you have the more cars you have the potential to steal. So people with not much spare in-game time won't have much chance.

Non-standard race. As some of you know I have tried to make a race in GTA mode that involves a jump and parachuting to the end. Unfortunately parachutes in GTA races are bugged. (Confirmed by more than one player on PS3 and PS4). I can do another Domesticatholon though. i.e in GTA mode, start in a land vehicle, at some point get out of it and swim, run or get into a plane (from which you can parachute). As far as I can tell the only place you can find a plane to get into is Fort Zancudo. If anyone knows of another plane-spawn within a GTA race please let me know. Same for a boat spawn as well.

pete_95973    2,024

Did not know this thread existed.  I will contribute some ideas for sure.  One random one I thought of today in the shout box that DJ suggested I post here is this:

Fastest to sneak into the military base, steal a jet, fly to the airport and steal a helicopter and then rob three stores using helicopter as transport. Cash stolen and then subtract the time it took for score. 

Basically any kind of checklist of things to complete in free roam is the theme here that I am thinking of.  Could be that you have to rob every store, ride the two rides at the pier, get 5 stars, and escape and get back to your apartment and go to bed all without dying in the fastest time.  Endless possibilities!

ConGamePro    1,291

I like where this is going. 

Only thing I can think of at the moment is: Death From Above contact mission...solo...that would be some challenging stuff. 

djw180    2,997
On 18/05/2017 at 10:44 PM, pete_95973 said:

Did not know this thread existed.  I will contribute some ideas for sure.  One random one I thought of today in the shout box that DJ suggested I post here is this:

Fastest to sneak into the military base, steal a jet, fly to the airport and steal a helicopter and then rob three stores using helicopter as transport. Cash stolen and then subtract the time it took for score. 

Basically any kind of checklist of things to complete in free roam is the theme here that I am thinking of.  Could be that you have to rob every store, ride the two rides at the pier, get 5 stars, and escape and get back to your apartment and go to bed all without dying in the fastest time.  Endless possibilities!

I'm going to set this for the next challenge Pete. We just need to set a few instructions for timing, counting how much money you get etc. 

What about this?

• start recording video anywhere you like
  • press down on the D-pad to show how much cash you have at the begining
  • enter Fort Zancudo anyway you like
  • we start timing from when the wanted level stars appear
  • steal a jet
  • fly to LSIA
  • steal a helicopter
  • rob any 3 stores
  • to finish land the helicopter on top of the Maze bank tower
  • exit the helicopter
  • bring out your phone, go to your bank app and show how much money you have
  • we stop timing from when your bank deposit screen appears showing how much cash you now have

no calling Lester, office assistant or anyone else to lose wanted level,you have to do this by avoiding police or just put up with the wanted level

getting killed is allowed as that adds to your time, or maybe we add an extra time penalty for getting killed (10s?)

omarcomin71    1,445

Love it! :D

Before reading the last sentence I was thinking how difficult this will be without getting killed.  It'll be very tough surviving with 5 stars. I like the 10s penalty. 

Count me in on this challenge. :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.