JustHatched

Best Cars per Class (PS4)

35 posts in this topic

What are the best cars for racing in GTA Online you ask? Here is a list as voted by the crew as the best cars in each class for racing (updated after Cunning Stunts DLC). 

In the following post in this thread there is a breakdown of many of these cars and their unique characteristic that makes them the best.

Supers - RE-7B (class leader), by far the most popular car in class, there is a reason why we and the top racers in other crews use this car. The ETR is an alternative but in general won't fair as well as the RE-7B. If you are content with running middle to the back of the pack then Tyrus or T20 would get you there. If you are buying your first Super then don't waste money on anything but the RE-7B for racing Supers

Sports Classic- The Stirling GT is by far the class leader and really the only option for racing in this class. The Z-Type is only competitive in large races with very long straightaways which are rarely raced, fast for that type of racing only and not worth buying unless you have all the other leading cars and want to spend a bunch of in game money,

Sports  - This class has a few cars that can compete with each other, as voted the Massacro (Racecar)  is the class leader, once you are decent enough driver to take advantage of other characteristics of other cars in the class you might consider the Elegy RH8 or Jester (Racecar)

Muscle - This class comes down to the Pisswasser Dominator or Blade, essentially each is better than the other on a particular type of track, it is suggested you read the post below this one and decide, you may consider getting both is you can afford it. Beyond those 2 there are other fast Muscles but these are the 2 dominate cars.

Coupes - As voted the Zion (or cabrio varient) is the class leader, with the Felon and Exemplar following it, all 3 are fairly close with some differences that may make one feel better for you than the other, none are overly priced. Check the post below for more info.

Sedans - Schafter V12 is the best, nothing else in class comes close.

SUVs - The Contender is class leader, the XLS (Armored) and Huntley S follow it. As of writing this I can't say how much faster the leader is (haven't done enough SUV racing personally) but I would say don't waste your time on anything other than the leader.

Compacts - Brioso R/A is faster by quite a bit than its competition.

Motorcycles - The Akuma is the bike to get if you only plan to buy 1 bike for racing, The BatiRR is its rival, has better top end speed but weaker acceleration and doesn't corner as well, the Hakuochu is also competitive but not a class leading racer.

Offroad - Tough class to pick one vehicle as there is so many options, the BF400 motorcycle was voted best, but the Trophy Truck or Desert Raid are very competitive and preferred by many over the motorcycle. For racing in this crew once you have bought the leaders in each class if you have room an Insurgent (which you should have for Free Roam shenanigans) might be considered for deep water racing.

Vans - Gang Burrito is the class leader, if you looking to spend some money on other vans to try for fun after buying all other class leader the Rumpo Custom and Bison are a bit not as good as the Gang Burrito.

Utility - Though not used often, the Sadler is recommended to by for Utility racing, you don't want to be stuck on a Faggio or Caddy while everyone else leaves you behind.

By all the class leaders first, don't waste money on anything else because you will be disappointed with the results and will be broke from spending all your money on other stuff.

9 people like this

Vehicles for land racing

Any vehicle labeled Top of the class is a must have.

When available a cheaper option will be listed.

To fully upgrade a car cost between about $50 000 and $165 000, usually in the higher numbers for the more expensive cars.

Please post your preference and comments on any vehicle, and it will be added.

Compacts

yHtDVWK.png

Grotti Brioso R/A

Top of the class

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Lann Takes time to get used to, feels unpredictable.

@Fido_le_muet Very tail happy, oversteers a lot. Need to be cautious with the throttle.

@Dodge This car is going to be the class of the field. But it's gonna take some getting used to. Slides, almost at random. But has good power, and really feels good when the corner goes well.

iXbteyu.png

Dinka Blista

FWD

Can only be stolen.

Comments from the crew: 

@Crawford1872 if you're just getting into the stunt racing and need a cheap custom compact the blista is a good option, will be crushed by the brioso round a track but is far easier to control so you just watch everyone spin out and take the win 

The Brioso stands out as the fastest compact, but the Blista and the previos top cars (Panto and Rhapsody) can be somewhat competitive with a experienced driver. The Blista is the cheaper options and can only be stolen of the streets.

Vans

nVIwVN1.png

Declasse Gang Burrito

Top of the class

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@DavidCore89 A must-have. Has the highest top speed in the van class with 150 MPH, that's a 20 MPH advantage over it's nearest rival. As you would expect, it feels quite heavy and unresponsive

@Dodge Really fast on pavement. A bit nasty in the turns, but what do you expect? It's a Van.

@no_snacks Gang Burrito has better top speed and stability, Custom Rumpo has better traction/acceleration but is prone to rolling over - they come out pretty equal in the end, so track style and personal preference are probably the biggest deciding factors

6JSbCK8.png

Bravado Rumpo Custom

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Fido_le_muet Useless. Will rollover at the first turn.

@Dodge Accelerates well, and corners well. But it is prone to Rollovers.

@no_snacks Gang Burrito has better top speed and stability, Custom Rumpo has better traction/acceleration but is prone to rolling over - they come out pretty equal in the end, so track style and personal preference are probably the biggest deciding factors

SUV

NDHqnxV.png

Vapid Contender

Top of the class

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

Coupes

CZKPlMg.png

Ubermacht Zion and Zion cabrio ($65 000)

Popular in the class

The cab handles and perform as the regular version.

RWD

Can be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@no_snacks for technical tracks

@Fido_le_muet Feels lighter than the Felon but very close lap-time wise

@Dodge Has a really direct feel. Reports well and has the power to keep up with fastest cars in the class.

uEB7Ybg.png

Lampadati Felon

RWD

Can be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@no_snacks for faster, flowing tracks

@Lann Less likely to spinn out for me, but similar times as the Zion.

VopVxJW.png

Dewbauchee Exemplar

HIghest top speed of these three coupes (Windsor highest top speed in class)

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Fido_le_muet My go-to car for long straights tracks (Dipping In)

Sedans

BWZA1gS.png

Benefactor Schafter V12 Armoured (not LWB)

Top of the class

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge This car is a monster! Massive Power! Very tail happy. Steering is responsive, but requires a lot of Throttle Control.

The regular Schafter can be stolen of the street and even if it is far behind it is the second best option.

Sports classics

5vcTE7D.png

Benefactor Stirling GT

Top of the class

Benefits from off-road tyres and needs the spare tire on the back as a spoiler.

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge Absolutely amazing to drive. Very Linear Power. Awesome Turn in, the brakes are massive, and THAT SOUND! One of my favorite cars to race.

g9iFCjf.png

Truffade Z-Type

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge High speed monster. It was the fastest car in the game before the Benny's Update.

@Fido_le_muet Useless, unless you race Route 68 a lot.

Muscle

BaKxIYL.png

Vapid Pisswasser Dominator

Popular in the class

RWD

Can not be stolen, but free for players returning from ps3.

Comments from the crew:

@Lann Very easy to spinn out, but very fast once you can drive it ( i am told).

@Fido_le_muet Very competitive car but I don't know how to drive it fast. It drags too much for me.

@Dodge Very tail happy. Requires a ton of throttle control. But is the fastest in class if you can handle it.

@no_snacks Sabre Turbo Custom or Pisswasser Dominator for tracks with longer straights - Blade for tighter, technical tracks

If you are not a returning player and looking for a cheaper option the regular Dominator can be stolen of the streets and is still competitive in the class.

S8PgIoS.png

Vapid Blade

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Banketelli Blade for technical tracks and Pisswasser Dominator for tracks with more straights than tight spots

@Lann Suits some drivers and tracks better than the more tail happy Dominator.

@Fido_le_muet Very heavy but super fast around technical tracks if you can drive it. Particular driving required.

@no_snacks Sabre Turbo Custom or Pisswasser Dominator for tracks with longer straights - Blade for tighter, technical tracks

mFeOJaN.png

Bravado Redwood Gauntlet

RWD

Can not be stolen, but free for players returning from ps3.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge Finally a Gauntlet that is competitive. Its more stable than the Domintor, but pushes a bit. It is capable of keeping up with the Dominator. 

P7Yooch.png

Invetero Coquette Blackfin

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Lann Handles more like a sports classic than a muscle car and easily beat less experinced drivers in their musclecars.

Sports

GWVDrLz.png

Annis Elegy RH8

AWD

Can not be stolen, but is free.

Comments from the crew:

@Fido_le_muet 

Elegy VS Massacro Racecar :

I believe the Massacro is better overall, more polyvalent than the Elegy. Both cars are very close in terms of performance and you can get very similar lap times. That being said, in the Elegy, it's a completely different driving style. You can be damn fast in it but it's gonna be harder than in the Massacro.

Elegy is heavier but it has crazy traction. You need to drive it differently, in a manner that doesn't feel natural at times. The Elegy requires earlier braking and so, earlier reacceleration. It's a beast but the 4WD makes its handling incredible. Full throttle much earlier than usual while exiting a turn won't make the car oversteer like in the Massacro. Of course it can happen but the car should fly away if done correctly.

You also need to brake without turning. I believe that's very important in the Elegy. With the Massacro, you can brake and turn pretty much at the same time (even if the braking straight technique is usually the best). It's particularly true in the Elegy. Brake, let go of L2, turn and accelerate at the same time or turn and then accelerate shortly after.

Elegy is definitely better on certain tracks (Miami Horror) but overall, Massacro RC is more suited. But a good driver could perform very well with the Elegy on any given track. That probably doesn't apply while racing the best drivers of the crew though...

@no_snacks Elegy RH8 or Jester Racecar for technical tracks

@Lann Great tracktion and great for technical tracks. Might need some getting used to. Poor brakes compared to the Jester.

@Banketelli Elegy RH8 for technical tracks and Massacro (Racecar) for tracks with more straights than tight spots.

YWhZ910.png

Dewbauchee Massacro Racecar

Popular in the class

Benefits from off-road tyres.

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Fido_le_muet Best Sports overall

@Dodge My "Go To" Sports car. Its not the best in corners. It will push a little bit. But the power off the corner is unmatched. 

@no_snacks Massacro, Massacro Racecar, Feltzer for tracks with high speed sections

c8rzN3x.png

Dinka Jester Racecar

Benefits from off-road tyres

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge This car is really suprising me. I use it on more technical tracks. Its rewards you for momentum driving it. 

@no_snacks Elegy RH8 or Jester Racecar for technical tracks

3HojqRH.png

Benefactor Feltzer

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@DavidCore89 One of the most underrated cars within the sports class. Very direct and precise steering and body weight of 1,450 KG's means the Feltzer loves to go around corners quickly. This car can out-brake many of it's rivals, but lacks slightly in acceleration and top speed. Benefits from off-road wheels.

BWZA1gS.png

Benefactor Schafter V12 (Not Armoured, not LWB)

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@no_snacks Shafter V12 for long straight tracks like Route 68, Congestion Charge etc

Supers

qewniwT.png

Annis RE-7B

Top of the class

With stock wheels it is very very fast.

With custom wheels it is very fast and has an incredible tracktion.

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Fido_le_muet No way to win a Super race without one. Miles ahead of the other supers. 10 seconds faster than the T20 on any given track.

@Dodge This LMP Racer is absolutely on rails. The first time I raced it, I think I became aroused :D. Seriously though, this car is almost perfect. It will slide a bit if pushed too far.

@no_snacks RE-7B (stock wheels) for fast tracks - RE-7B (custom wheels) for technical tracks - must have one of them, better to have both though

Motorcycles

dGzLHES.png

Pegassi Bati 801 and 801 RR

RWD

The 801 and 801 RR handles and perform the same.

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@DavidCore89 Lacking in acceleration compared to it's nearest rival, but has the advantage of a greater top speed if the rider is performing lots of wheelie's on the straights. Great handling and brakes, as you would expect from a light motorcycle.

PZyTAqq.png

Dinka Akuma

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Banketelli Akuma for more technical tracks and Bati 801 for tracks where lots of wheelie-ing is possible. 

Off-road

5IfbixL.png

Vapid Trophy Truck

Popular in the class

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Dodge It a real Trophy Truck. And it drives like it. Lots of suspension travel, great at power,  superior steering and response. My favorite Off-Road. 

vjuYeh2.png

Vapid Desert Raid

AWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

Street race test (Broughy1322) show similar performance as the Trophy Truck.

kJMXwm8.png

Nagasaki BF400

Top of the class

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

eVAwphL.png

BF Bifta

RWD

Can not be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Lann I beleive it may only be competitive in the class if you are racing a technical track on tarmack?

mu5AmEF.png

Maibatsu Sanchez

RWD

Can be stolen.

Comments from the crew:

@Lann I still prefer the more direct handling of the Sanchez over the BF400

@Fido_le_muet (The BF400 is) Miles ahead of the Sanchez.

Edited by Lann
13 people like this

Thank god I still have the money from CMM. Bless you @pete_95973

One month away from the game and I have a whole new garage to buy. Darn it. No way I'm getting two RE-B7, hopefully they'll fix the stock wheels glitch soon. Or not, if it's making them two much money :P

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Arruda said:

Thank god I still have the money from CMM. Bless you @pete_95973

One month away from the game and I have a whole new garage to buy. Darn it. No way I'm getting two RE-B7, hopefully they'll fix the stock wheels glitch soon. Or not, if it's making them two much money :P

The RE-7B is still the fastest super car even if the glitch is fixed.  If you like to race, and I think you do, you need to but it.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

The RE-7B is still the fastest super car even if the glitch is fixed.  If you like to race, and I think you do, you need to but it.

I got that, I meant having to buy two of them, to have one with stock and another with custom wheels, like some do. 

1 person likes this

It is pretty much untouchable with stock wheels anyways. The average GTA player couldn't keep the Roller Coaster from spinning out.

Great job on this @Lann. And thanks to all who gave input on the different cars in the class. 

I hope we can keep adding opinions about these cars, and adding new cars to the list as well. 

So don't be afraid to leave a note in this thread!! 

3 people like this

I'm still not sure I understand how exactly should the RE7B be set up for top speed? I think I have figured it out for myself but want to check with better drivers.

I ask because recently I got overtaken by a number of other people towards the end of a long straight. I was in my RE7B with stock wheels, so couldn't understand why. Monkeh said he assumed I must have had custom tires on, but I checked and they were definitely stock. However I did just have the basic spoiler and it turns out the custom one makes a difference. I had thought that the different spoilers were just cosmetic.

So I made a simple test track for top speed, very long straits, gently curving ends. Not an oval, just using the stunt track props, all level, no elevation changes. Start line right outside a LS customs for making easy modifications.

All times in RE7B, fastest lap of 6, keeping to the tarmac so no curb boosting to further complicate times.

Tuner tires, stock wheels, standard spoiler - 51.0

Tuner tires, custom wheels, standard spoiler - 51.0

Tuner tires, stock wheels, custom spoiler, 49.6

Tuner tires, custom wheels, custom spoiler, 49.6

Off road tires, custom wheels, custom spoiler, 49.9

I rounded them to 1/10 ths of second, I figure any other slight differences are meaningless.

I know there's the possibility that I could have done something slightly wrong for some of these times, but this is a test track designed so that even I can do consistent laps.

These times say to me that stock vs customs wheels make no difference to top speed, it's just the spoiler. Also that off road tires are sightly slower on perfectly flat roads.

So any of the better drivers, @Lann, @Fido_le_muet, @no_snacks, @Dodge etc, got times showing what difference the stock vs custom wheels make? Could it be that RS have changed whatever it is that apparently made stock wheels have higher top speed?

Edited by djw180
1 person likes this

It's my understanding that the stock wheels fill out the wheel wells more than any of the custom wheels. This causes the tire to contact the top of the fender when going over small bumps which causes a "curb boost" effect generating higher top speed. Maybe your track is too smooth so the RE7B isn't getting the boost from the bumps.

1 person likes this

always apply the custom spoiler if it is offered because you get a bonus in the traction bar that you don't get even if the car has a spoiler as stock as stock spoilers are purely aesthetic. As for the tyres the RE-7B has the 'Tyre's can clip' aspect so this means the off road tyres as they are the thickest, effectively give you a more stable car over bumps as the actual part of the car that the game thinks is touching the road surface is the rim of the wheel, less tyre = less of a crossover zone if you like, this doesn't matter normally on most cars, and for all the cars it works with minus the RE7B the off road is the way to go lap time wise, but the glitch here means that stock tyres in line with the custom spoiler for whatever reason get a massive boost on the straights, this boost, as i understand it (i might be wrong here) is on a descending scale through the tyre choices from narrowest to largest side tread, so the super and sports/ tuner tyre's would be closer to the outright speed of the stock tyres (which are slicks and have very little side tread i think) all the way to offroads which lose this speed but are more stable and give better handling

all in all it depends on the track, long straights or really any straights and the offroad tyre'd re7b will struggle but on a tighter track the more stable offroad tyres really help, that help lol? anyone else think i'm totally wrong either would help me out if i am.. 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, djw180 said:

Tuner tires, stock wheels, standard spoiler - 51.0

Tuner tires, custom wheels, standard spoiler - 51.0

Tuner tires, stock wheels, custom spoiler, 49.6

Tuner tires, custom wheels, custom spoiler, 49.6

Off road tires, custom wheels, custom spoiler, 49.9

From what I see, all your tests involved custom tires (tuner or off-road). I think you get extra speed from stock tires. It's not the custom wheels "upgrade" that makes a difference.

2 people like this

@djw180, go back into LSC and change the tyres back to stock - just leave them the way they were when you originally bought the RE-7B.  See if that makes a difference.

You might be getting mixed up with the meaning of stock tyres/wheels.  When you choose any different type of tyre to the originals, they're not "stock" anymore.  When you choose the rims/wheels, LSC will state that you've got "stock" wheels until you choose something different.  This is not the same "stock" that causes the glitch.  Basically, the "stock" wheels that cause the extra speed glitch are the ones that come with the car when you order it- not the other type of "stock" (if that makes sense) :lol:

EDIT.  The stock spoilers that come with some cars do nothing.  They're only cosmetic.  You must choose one of the other spoilers for it to make any difference to traction/grip.

EDIT 2.  Just took my RE-7B to LSC to suss out the wheel thingy.  You were right, DJ.  Whenever you choose any type of tyre (muscle, sports, high end etc) the "stock" rims are the ones that come with the car when you order it.  It shouldn't make a difference which "stock" rims you choose.  They should be faster in a straight line than any custom wheels.  Not sure why you're not seeing a difference in lap times between stock and custom wheels.  Might be because the track is too smooth, like @Beez said.

Edited by no_snacks
3 people like this

Thanks everyone, that's solved the mystery for me. In LS Customs it's Wheels > Wheel Type > any type > Stock Rims > Stock Wheels.

Tuners, Off Road, etc, all the same as far as I can see. If you then go to the Tires menu you can not choose custom tires.

Now with this set up I do my test course in 45.4s.

9 hours ago, zmurko said:

From what I see, all your tests involved custom tires (tuner or off-road). I think you get extra speed from stock tires. It's not the custom wheels "upgrade" that makes a difference.

I was getting the tires and the rims mixed up there. They were all custom Tuner rims but then with stock rather than custom tires. It's confusing, but sorted eventually.

Edited by djw180
1 person likes this

I remember that race as I was also easily caught in the straight (we're talking about the end of rev's Nurburgring I think, right?). I think I also have the stock spoiler as I thought it made no difference, bummer. 

As for the wheels I think I have the right ones, but then I wasn't as slow as you I guess. But enough to be caught by someone who was too far away to slipstream me.

1 person likes this

So now I finally figure out how the RE7B should be set up they go and fix the bug that made it faster!

Related to this, interesting findings from this weeks crew challenge. It seems the RE7B, no matter what wheels and tires it has, is not the fastest super car in stunt tubes. It looks to me, and I think @Arruda found the same, that it is too wide and smaller cars, e.g. T20, Zentorno, just fit better in the tubes. I made another simple test track, like an oval but mainly stunt tubes. The T20 was clearly faster than the RE7B (pre fix stock wheels and custom wheels & tires).

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, D-Rocks09 said:

Is there an updated version of the best cars per class?

Other than the bike class, the OP and Lann's post are still up to date as far as the top dogs of the classes are concerned. In the bike class you want the Shotaro. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Banketelli said:

Other than the bike class, the OP and Lann's post are still up to date as far as the top dogs of the classes are concerned. In the bike class you want the Shotaro. 

I'm drawing a blank....what does OP mean?

2 minutes ago, D-Rocks09 said:

I'm drawing a blank....what does OP mean?

Original Post

1 person likes this

I sold the Armored V12 Schafter and kept the regular V12 Schafter.

They can both be used in sedan races, but the regular V12 can be used in sports races too.

Regular V12 is also 150 KG's lighter and has slightly stronger brakes, so IMO it must perform better.

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I sold the Armored V12 Schafter and kept the regular V12 Schafter.

They can both be used in sedan races, but the regular V12 can be used in sports races too.

Regular V12 is also 150 KG's lighter and has slightly stronger brakes, so IMO it must perform better.

But it doesn't at all. Unless I missed something, the armored version is miles ahead right ?

I picked the unarmored V12 in a Sedans race Wednesday. Everyone else was in the armored. I did ok and had similar lap-times if I remember right. 

Edited by Lann
"v12"

15 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

But it doesn't at all. Unless I missed something, the armored version is miles ahead right ?

It's miles ahead of the old Schafter, but I think the regular V12 Schafter is the best one, not by much though, just the things I posted above.

Edited by DavidCore89